Just bought a 2019 EX - questions

OP
OP

spech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2009 EX-L
Thanks all, for your tire advice. I'm now considering Michelin X-Ice vs. Bridgestone Blizzak in 15". Apart from aesthetics, is there any reason to get alloy wheels?
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Interesting that your new Civic EX is coming with 16 inch wheels in Canada. The US EX's come with 215/50 17 tires. I'd just ask the dealership (like one of the shop managers) if they're installed 15 inch wheels on the new Civics before. Since the LX models here have 16 inch wheels I've assumed that that is the smallest wheel that works with the front brakes. I run Blizzacks on my FIT in the winter but I don't plan to set up the Civic with snow tires. We'll just use the Fit for the few days of snow and ice we deal with.
Not really, I have an '18 EX that has 16 inch wheels. The 17 inch wheels start at the EX-T with the turbo engine. For 2019 though, the EX trim is cut from the lineup in the U.S and is replaced with the sport which has 18" wheels from the Hatch Sport. Then the EX-T is the level up from that which still retains it's 17 inch wheels I believe.

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Ex Hatch, Nissan Altima
Country flag
Thanks all, for your tire advice. I'm now considering Michelin X-Ice vs. Bridgestone Blizzak in 15". Apart from aesthetics, is there any reason to get alloy wheels?
Get a set of Steels and put your snows on em then you and change them yourself .

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
1. The tire specs are 215/55/16. Could I go down to 15" for my winter tires? I've read about the brakes getting in the way with some models.
You can but there is no real point. Just get matched fit black steel rims in the same size and be done with it.

2. Which winter tires work best with the 10th gen Civic? I've been considering Michelin X-Ice X-i3, Continental WinterContact Si, or the General Altimax Arctic 12 for a budget choice.
I have the Altimax Arctic 12 on my EX and they are BEAST. Continental owns General and they also own Gislaved. The Arctic 12 are just the Nordfrost 100 (The previous Altimax Arctics were the Nordfrost) . They are one of the very best tires out there. Gislaved is the most frequently recommended winter tire brands for Scandinavian regions. The previous Arctics were so good that even without studs, they were outperforming some tires with studs.

I actually have these tires on our 2010 CRV AWD and man, ya, what snow? :)

If you don't have much snow in whatever part of Canada you are in but it is a lot of ice, then the X-Ice are likely the best choice. Remember that like with any other season of tire, not all winters are made equal. Some are good on ice and crapish in snow and others are great in snow and not so good on ice and then yet others are excellent on both with little overall compromise.

Yup, Canada does not mandate TPMS in ANY passenger vehicles. It shows up in some models from some companies but is not present at ALL on the GenX Civics in Canada. (My 2010 CRV has in tire sensors for instance and as there is no way to turn off the software, I have to keep them around as not having them will default the system over to not allowing disabling the traction control system if you need to.)

There are TPMS sensors but they do not tell exact tire pressure because the sensors work with the ABS system. It only tells you that there is "low tire pressure" when it detects that a wheel is rotating at a different speed than the rest of the tires and you will see a light on your dashboard.
Not in Canada. Not even passive TPMS in the GenX Civics.

So does it matter when changing tires?
Doesn't matter ever on Canadian GenX Civics.

Not at all. There are no sensors in the tires. It's a passive TMPS system. You shouldn't be paying a sensor fee when changing tires.
Nope. Not in Canada. Not even the ABS based passive system. Not on the GenX Civics.

P.S. and btw... Canada. NOT legislated :) This is why it is a good idea to both show what state/prov/country you are from and as a commenter, read where the poster/commenter is from.

TLAPkenn

TLAP Kenn
First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan; 2016 Honda CR-V EX; 1999 Honda CR-V EX (240k+ miles)
Country flag
Just bought a 2019 EX over the weekend and expecting delivery in a about a week. :) In the meantime, I would appreciate some information and advice:

1. The tire specs are 215/55/16. Could I go down to 15" for my winter tires? I've read about the brakes getting in the way with some models.

2. Which winter tires work best with the 10th gen Civic? I've been considering Michelin X-Ice X-i3, Continental WinterContact Si, or the General Altimax Arctic 12 for a budget choice.

3. Is there anything specific I should be looking at when I inspect the car (e.g., panel fit, rattling)? Should I be testing the infotainment system?

Thanks!
I am not sure if you can go down to 15" wheels and tires. I have 2016 Honda Civic EXT with 215/55/R17 stock rims.

My winter tires are 205/55/R17 with MSW rims and I have Michelin X-Ice X-i2 (I got them on clearance for old stock) mounted on them. The X-i2's are awesome and I have absolutely no complaints as they wear well, get decent fuel mileage, and don't suffer from poor ride quality. There is some additional road noise. I probably have one more season on the X-i2's and will be looking to swap them for the X-i3s.

For reference, I drive in the NYC metro-area. We get heavy snow once or twice a year, I have had zero traction issues with the winter wheel setup.

Honda Civic 10th gen Just bought a 2019 EX - questions unnamed