Just bought a 2019 EX - questions

1. spech

spech Member

Car(s):
    Civic 2009 EX-L
    Just bought a 2019 EX over the weekend and expecting delivery in a about a week. :) In the meantime, I would appreciate some information and advice:

1. The tire specs are 215/55/16. Could I go down to 15" for my winter tires? I've read about the brakes getting in the way with some models.

2. Which winter tires work best with the 10th gen Civic? I've been considering Michelin X-Ice X-i3, Continental WinterContact Si, or the General Altimax Arctic 12 for a budget choice.

3. Is there anything specific I should be looking at when I inspect the car (e.g., panel fit, rattling)? Should I be testing the infotainment system?

Thanks!

2. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    '18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
    1. Not 100% sure but my guess is that you might be able to but 16" is already pretty small so I would honestly stick with just the "16 anyway.

2. No clue because I have not used winter tires on my Civic before and I do not plan to.

3. Just look at it like you would for any new car and make sure that there are no scratches, dings, or dents in the car for whatever reason. Fit and Finish is pretty consistent in Civics but it doesn't hurt to check it out briefly to make sure. Infotainment system is something that is generally exaggerated on this forum and there really is no need to "inspect" it because chances are it works fine, it is just a little dated and is rough around the edges but that is something that all Civics have. Other than that, I wouldn't say there is anything specific you need to look at.

spech thanked this.
  3. OP
    OP
    spech

spech Member

Car(s):
    Civic 2009 EX-L
    Thanks, jred 721. Do the tires have TPMS sensors?

4. M.R.C.I.V.I.C

M.R.C.I.V.I.C Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic EX-T
    We don't have the TPMS sensors here in Canada.

5. Aurelleah

Aurelleah Senior Member

First Name:
    Aurelleah
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
    Really? o_O

6. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    There are TPMS sensors but they do not tell exact tire pressure because the sensors work with the ABS system. It only tells you that there is "low tire pressure" when it detects that a wheel is rotating at a different speed than the rest of the tires and you will see a light on your dashboard.

spech thanked this.
  7. OP
    OP
    spech

spech Member

Car(s):
    Civic 2009 EX-L
    So does it matter when changing tires?

8. Lunar

Lunar Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring Sedan
    Not at all. There are no sensors in the tires. It's a passive TMPS system. You shouldn't be paying a sensor fee when changing tires.

spech and jred721 thanked this.
  9. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    @Lunar is right, there is no need to worry about actual sensors on these cars when changing the tires. However, you do have to re-calibrate the TPMS system everytime you inflate, change, or rotate your tires. It can be done by going into the infotainment settings, pressing vehicle, and finding the TPMS Calibration setting and resetting it.

spech thanked this.
  10. COOL COUPE

COOL COUPE Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red)
    Legislation was passed suggesting that American's were "lazy" and did not check their tire pressure ... Can you imagine that?

11. COOL COUPE

COOL COUPE Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red)
    Don't budget snow tires in Canada! Blizzack - All the way - I had a pair on my Mazda Speed 3 and could do amazing things in the snow!

12. Islander

Islander Member

Retired
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic EX-T manual, 2016 Fit EX
    Interesting that your new Civic EX is coming with 16 inch wheels in Canada. The US EX's come with 215/50 17 tires. I'd just ask the dealership (like one of the shop managers) if they're installed 15 inch wheels on the new Civics before. Since the LX models here have 16 inch wheels I've assumed that that is the smallest wheel that works with the front brakes. I run Blizzacks on my FIT in the winter but I don't plan to set up the Civic with snow tires. We'll just use the Fit for the few days of snow and ice we deal with.

13. Captain

Captain GhostRider

self-employment
    Car(s):
    2014 Civic Touring
    I have 2014 civic touring summer tire and rims is 17'' winter tire rims 15'' I have been using almost five years don't happen anything about the brakes.

michelin is gas saver and you dont hear the tire noise too much but continental is use more gas and you can hear the road noise but driving performance is better I dont have any ideia about the general tire.

spech thanked this.
  14. Ladyluck

Ladyluck Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Hatchback Sport
    Ran Federal Himalayn winters on my 9th gen and now my Hatch Sport, also put them on my moms Camry and she loves them.

spech thanked this.
  15. Schmullis

Schmullis Senior Member

First Name:
    Schmullis
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Touring Sedan
    Just goto the Tire Rack and they'll show you what fits. Aftermarket wheels will likely need a centering ring - they provide it if you buy the wheel from them. My experience has shown that Michelin X-Ice are better for highway cruising, less noise than the Bridgestone Blizzak. The Blizzak is rated the best for "ultimate snow and ice traction", but are louder on the highway.

spech thanked this.