EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What are my options for changing? I have no idea what the tune is. The dealership was going to try and connect me with the previous owner to see about buying the Hondata tuner. If I can't get a hold of him, what would my best course of action be? Any way to revert it back to stock, so I could then get a new tuner (After reading a lot of threads here, I liked some of the Ktuner features)? Thanks for any help, I am happy to be in a Honda again!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you can't get ahold of the locked Flashpro unit to unlock it, have the dealer flash you back to stock. You can then purchase a Ktuner and lock it to your ECU and upload tunes.

What I don't understand is if the dealer knew it was Hondata tuned, why didn't they make sure it was unlocked and reverted to stock before they sold it to you?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Sounds super sketchy........

OP
OP
EasyFrag

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you can't get ahold of the locked Flashpro unit to unlock it, have the dealer flash you back to stock. You can then purchase a Ktuner and lock it to your ECU and upload tunes.

What I don't understand is if the dealer knew it was Hondata tuned, why didn't they make sure it was unlocked and reverted to stock before they sold it to you?
Ok, cool, I didn't realize they could do that (I really haven't learned what I needed to yet, my last experience in hondas was early Jackson SC's on CRX's and doing Dx-Si swaps with no internet, just Helm manuals! lol)

The dealer said the owner was supposed to bring the tuner by and unlock it, but the guy doesn't live in my town so I kind of doubt that could happen. I told them to see if he would sell me the tuner, but I might rather have the Ktuner.

So all I would need to do would be request the dealer flash the car back to stock, and they could figure that out? (thanks for your time!)

OP
OP
EasyFrag

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds super sketchy........
I think it was a case of the guy trading the car for a Type R (that I was going to buy.. lol) and maybe all of the parties not thinking it through completely. If the dealer can put it back to stock, I will probably do that and move forward with making my own decisions for it. Except for seeming to flatten out a little at the very top end, it drives great.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I think it was a case of the guy trading the car for a Type R (that I was going to buy.. lol) and maybe all of the parties not thinking it through completely. If the dealer can put it back to stock, I will probably do that and move forward with making my own decisions for it. Except for seeming to flatten out a little at the very top end, it drives great.
You do you by all means..... could have been flagged already as a tuned vehicle when it ran through service as mandatory to take a trade in as well as prep it for sale on the lot.

Could have been a broken trade.... I've seen too much at dealers

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If your Honda dealer doesn't know how to flash you back to stock I'd say they shouldn't be a dealer. ;)

And under the circumstances they shouldn't charge you either.

BTW, I've had both Hondata and KTuner. Both are good products.

OP
OP
EasyFrag

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You do you by all means..... could have been flagged already as a tuned vehicle when it ran through service as mandatory to take a trade in as well as prep it for sale on the lot.

Could have been a broken trade.... I've seen too much at dealers
I live in a fairly small town and have known the salesperson for many years. Nothing shady going on, I spoke with both sales people. I think it was like I said, just a case of not thinking about it until it was already done. (I was going to buy the Type R Monday after looking at it Friday (they took in a 2018 in trade for a new one), the guy came by Saturday to look at the Type R and left with it, trading in his car, so it all happened pretty quickly for everyone (me included))

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I live in a fairly small town and have known the salesperson for many years. Nothing shady going on, I spoke with both sales people. I think it was like I said, just a case of not thinking about it until it was already done. (I was going to buy the Type R Monday after looking at it Friday (they took in a 2018 in trade for a new one), the guy came by Saturday to look at the Type R and left with it, trading in his car, so it all happened pretty quickly for everyone (me included))
I wouldn't say that it's shady. Just poor practice on the dealership's part.

But anyway, either Hondata or KTuner would be great choices. I've used both and am currently using Hondata and am very happy with it. I would try to find that guy with the FlashPro and try to buy it off of him. Then I'd get the TSP Stage 1 tune for it and see if you still want to go through the trouble of switching.

I would just say to not write off Hondata so quickly, especially since you kind of already have it. But you can't go wrong with either.

OP
OP
EasyFrag

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Great news! I talked with the guy today and he is selling me the Hondata at a very reasonable price. I should have it early next week. Thanks for all the information. I have got more reading to do to learn what I can about it before it gets here.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Glad it all worked out, but just some info although its a bit late. The tune itself is not locked to the car the flasher box is (the part your getting from the previous owner). The ECU of your car is unlocked and as so it does not matter what tuner you use as unlocking is just unlocking its not tune specific it just allows the flasher to be able to flash the ecu. Even with hondata tune on the car now. you could have still easily just bought the ktuner flasher and just flashed a ktuner tune to the car over writing the hondata one. The ktuner would have over wrote the hondata tune just like it would have a factory tune. As for the dealer, they most likely dont have the equipment to reflash it back to stock and relock it. They would have had to send it off costing them money that they aren't gonna do. My main concern at this point would be warranty, a flashed ecu will most likely get you a no answer to any warranty claim, as the dealer knows about it and sold it with it Im sure its been flagged in the system. I would serious go to the dealer and get them to put in writing they sold it with a tune on it they knew it was on it and that it won't affect your warranty. even used the car still has the same 3 year 36k warranty period or more accurately the remainder of it. Cause if anything happens to a car with a known tune chances are hondas gonna be a bitch to deal with to get anything fixed under warranty if they fix it at all under warranty.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad it all worked out, but just some info although its a bit late. The tune itself is not locked to the car the flasher box is (the part your getting from the previous owner). The ECU of your car is unlocked and as so it does not matter what tuner you use as unlocking is just unlocking its not tune specific it just allows the flasher to be able to flash the ecu. Even with hondata tune on the car now. you could have still easily just bought the ktuner flasher and just flashed a ktuner tune to the car over writing the hondata one. The ktuner would have over wrote the hondata tune just like it would have a factory tune. As for the dealer, they most likely dont have the equipment to reflash it back to stock and relock it. They would have had to send it off costing them money that they aren't gonna do. My main concern at this point would be warranty, a flashed ecu will most likely get you a no answer to any warranty claim, as the dealer knows about it and sold it with it Im sure its been flagged in the system. I would serious go to the dealer and get them to put in writing they sold it with a tune on it they knew it was on it and that it won't affect your warranty. even used the car still has the same 3 year 36k warranty period or more accurately the remainder of it. Cause if anything happens to a car with a known tune chances are hondas gonna be a bitch to deal with to get anything fixed under warranty if they fix it at all under warranty.
excellent advise. I would add to that make sure you speak DIRECTLY TO THE SERVICE MANAGER. Trust me you better cover your ass if you ever plan on utilizing warranty. I bet the service manager's jaw hits the floor. Dont take it on word of mouth. GET IT IN WRITING THAT IF ANYTHING HAPPENS THAT HONDA COULD DENY REPAIR ON DUE TO THE TUNE YOU WERE SOLD WITH THE CAR; THAT THE DEALER WILL TAKE CARE OF SAID REPAIRS WITHOUT QUESTION.

Cover your ass dude you are in a vulnerable spot of heresay when push comes to shove!
Sponsored

Last edited: