newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
So we are in lock down status, except for groceries and necessary stuff. Since I wasn't going to be near anyone, I decided a canyon run (we don't have canyons, but you get the idea) was in order to maintain my sanity. On the way to the twisty turnies I was cruising on the highway and I didn't notice a Suburu WR something with a big wing on the back blow my doors in. I was having none of that, so flip to R MODE, drop a gear, drop the hammer. Nearly broke my neck, but off I went.

Caught the WR something in no time as there was some traffic. We spent the next few miles hop-scotching down the road having a blast. I won't say how fast we were going at some points but it was the fastest I've gone in the car. And it was smooth as glass. When cars were close by, we'd both back off, then hit it again. I had to exit and flashed my lights, he/she responded in kind. Not a race, but a dance of like-minded folk.

Drove to the base of the winding roads and the tire pressure warning came on. NUTS. No way I'm going to bury turns now. So, I backtrack to service station, check air. One was "low" but nowhere near a warning should have flown. Top them off and headed home as I wanted to be sure all was well. The twisties will come another day. Nuts.

This car is incredible. Stay safe everyone.
Sponsored

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I totally feel you on the car blast sanity. I’m nearly 40 now and before I moved to Hawaii 12 years ago I was in Midwest. Used to do night runs a lot when I was stressed or couldn’t sleep. Best was the HR 350Z I had. One lone Mexico night run and I got to see it at 150. That lets the mind clear on the quick.

unfortunately in Hawai’i there’s pretty much nowhere to safely night blast. So I do quick spurts haha.

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
............... before I moved to Hawaii 12 years ago I was in Midwest..........in Hawai’i there’s pretty much nowhere to safely night blast. So I do quick spurts haha.
Mahalo!!! Originally from the big island myself. Migrated to Canada in 2014 (job opportunity). Bonus are the long winding roads in the mainland. Honolulu is pretty small in comparison. Took my under graduate in Ohio so know the Midwest well enough. Love the people! You'll love the local Hawaiians. So friendly. Give yourself a couple more decades and you may miss the wide expanse of roadways.
Nevertheless, I do miss home at times, especially the weekly Hawaiian drinking sessions with my gang.
My '15 Fit GK LX manual bought in Oahu was shipped by my employers to Vancouver as part of my relocation package. Coming from an '07 GD Fit (which is still with my niece on the islands), it made me go for a faster pocket rocket!!!
Like your stable of cars. My son has an '06 E46 M3 in SF. Best sounding inline 6 ever built!!!
Enjoy driving the Civic.

Last edited:

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This quarantine has allowed me to go on night drives for the first time in a long time. I've encountered quite a few other car guys doing the same. Most of my drive is in populated areas, so I haven't run with anyone. A Camaro and 370Z tried to get me to run with them, but they came up from behind me at 80+ MPH while I was going 40 in a residential area. I wouldn't risk myself and others like that in normal times, but now is a particularly bad time to go to the jail or hospital haha

Stay safe everyone.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
So we are in lock down status, except for groceries and necessary stuff. Since I wasn't going to be near anyone, I decided a canyon run (we don't have canyons, but you get the idea) was in order to maintain my sanity. On the way to the twisty turnies I was cruising on the highway and I didn't notice a Suburu WR something with a big wing on the back blow my doors in. I was having none of that, so flip to R MODE, drop a gear, drop the hammer. Nearly broke my neck, but off I went.

Caught the WR something in no time as there was some traffic. We spent the next few miles hop-scotching down the road having a blast. I won't say how fast we were going at some points but it was the fastest I've gone in the car. And it was smooth as glass. When cars were close by, we'd both back off, then hit it again. I had to exit and flashed my lights, he/she responded in kind. Not a race, but a dance of like-minded folk.

Drove to the base of the winding roads and the tire pressure warning came on. NUTS. No way I'm going to bury turns now. So, I backtrack to service station, check air. One was "low" but nowhere near a warning should have flown. Top them off and headed home as I wanted to be sure all was well. The twisties will come another day. Nuts.

This car is incredible. Stay safe everyone.

Probably the most annoying thing about this car is how often the tire pressure light comes on. I never believe it, but I'm not confident enough to re-calibrate without checking the pressure first. It's fine almost every time

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably the most annoying thing about this car is how often the tire pressure light comes on. I never believe it, but I'm not confident enough to re-calibrate without checking the pressure first. It's fine almost every time
Meanwhile, I have never had this light come on in the 2 years I've owned mine.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Meanwhile, I have never had this light come on in the 2 years I've owned mine.
Yours must not be working haha

I've had it happen 20+ times. The worst is when it happens on a super curvy road like the tail of the dragon and the car won't properly recalibrate, but at the same time, you still feel the need to stop and check the pressures every time the light turns on because it would be too dangerous on those roads to risk it.

I think part of the problem is the fact that it is a very high powered fwd car and it heats up the front tires dramatically more than the rears. I have seen 4 PSI differences between the front and rear after hard driving.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it is honestly. That would be the second weird issue with my car. The first one was the brake hold switch actuator breaking 3 weeks after picking up the car.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I've had it happen 20+ times. The worst is when it happens on a super curvy road like the tail of the dragon and the car won't properly recalibrate, but at the same time, you still feel the need to stop and check the pressures every time the light turns on because it would be too dangerous on those roads to risk it.

I think part of the problem is the fact that it is a very high powered fwd car and it heats up the front tires dramatically more than the rears. I have seen 4 PSI differences between the front and rear after hard driving.
There is probably no real way to get it to stop flashing during extremely hard drives/runs. However, most of the lights that appear when not in those conditions can be dealt with by simply resetting the calibration system (set the tire pressures to spec, recalibrate 3x in a row while stationary, the tire light on the dash should flash 3 times, then drive around for half an hour to get it to reset itself).

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
There is probably no real way to get it to stop flashing during extremely hard drives/runs. However, most of the lights that appear when not in those conditions can be dealt with by simply resetting the calibration system (set the tire pressures to spec, recalibrate 3x in a row while stationary, the tire light on the dash should flash 3 times, then drive around for half an hour to get it to reset itself).
Right, that works when you aren't surrounded by curvy roads. It doesn't calibrate well when you are constantly turning.
Sponsored