frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Okay, here are some pics of the J's Racing front grill install.
Note: I bought the grill along with the optional J's Type R front badge mount. I had the grill, silver grill mesh, and silver center support bar all painted black and clear coated by an automotive paint shop. It also appears that the J Racing center support bar is a bit wider than some of the original ones I have seen in pictures and the Japanese instruction sheet.

First, here is what the back of the OEM grill looks like (N. American model). There are several screws you will remove to get the grill to pop out of the front (you can see a few at the center right and left of the grill above the red plastic, as well as some along the bottom of the grill).
Tpe R OEM grill backside.jpeg

Here is the piece of bumper plastic that must be cut to fit the new deeper J's grill back in. The instructions which are in Japaneses tell you to leave 2 cm's at the top. If you look at the picture close enough you will see the cut lines. I left 3 cm from the top and it was still not in the way, or visible from the front, once the new J's grill was in
IMG_1570.jpeg

Next the kit provides a long very thin strand of self adhesive black foam which you insert in the small horizontal grove you can see just below the top green painters paint in the pic above. (You can see it installed in the groove in the three drill hole pics below)

Now fit the 9 provided nut clips onto the 9 tabs you will find on the inside of the J fiberglass grill (note: 1 nut clip is hidden in this photo behind the center support bracket which I already installed using the optional J's Racing Type R badge mount). Next, screw the supplied metal center support bracket at the center bottom (and the optional badge emblem mount if you have one). Place the metal mesh in place and bend down the 8 silver wire pieces pre-epoxied to the inside of the grill to hold it in place. I also found I had to bend the wire mesh overhang a bit at the bottom two corners for the grill to then fit back into the bumper. Note I elected to place the mesh behind the supplied metal center support bar as I did not want the black finish to be scrapped off on the front.
IMG_1587.jpeg

Now insert your J's grill grill into the bumper opening through the front. There are 4 tabs along top ridge to help you line it up.
IMG_1582.jpeg

Now you must mark and drill 3 holes in the rear of the bumper behind the grill near the top (one inside the 2 to 3 cm center piece that was left at the top inside of the bumper after cutting out the center piece, and two to line up with the two top corner nut clips in the 2nd picture above.

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

Now line up and screw in the 9 supplied black bolts into the nut clips to hold the grill in place. Note the one longer bolt goes to the top center hole through the support bracket if you are using it. I added three of my own washers under the top three bolts for good measure.

IMG_1597.jpeg

The grill is still not mounted back on the car yet as I have a couple more items I am working on. I will post some more pics once I get it mounted.
really appreciate this
Sponsored

RStoR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 SI Sedan & '18 RR #18407
Country flag
What paint code was used for the black?

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Unfortunately, I couldn’t get an answer on that anywhere, so I just took it to an custom paint shop along with another black OEM trim piece and asked them to paint it Honda trim black if they could. Don’t know what they ended up using but it seems like a pretty good match.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Good info. Thanks.

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
The Siebon grill is another good option. It did break a tab on the piece that the bumper connects to at the top after about 2 weeks but not a hard fix. Knowing that now I would have reinforced the tabs

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill 20200320_175701

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Were you able to install it? If so pics please hermano ;)
No not yet . My brother needed his shop lift back so I had to get the CTR out of there. Ran out of time to get the bumper back on. Waiting for a chance to get back in there to finish up. I’ll post pics as soon as I get it done. I also have the Morimoto lights on so I’m excited to see how it turns out.

Here is a pic of the bumper that is waiting to go in..
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill 87DB254C-4D0E-4A3F-A173-771EF41D589F

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Argh.. you are making it hard not to pull the trigger on the J’s... And Morimotos

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
:cool: The J’s Racing CTR looks awesome with the J’s headlights and the yellow trim/paint scheme!

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Argh.. you are making it hard not to pull the trigger on the J’s... And Morimotos
Sorry about that. To make it worse it just snowed here and we are suppose to get
more this week. I’m also on the road right now for the next week with my job
:(

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve held off as long as I could...Spoke to Yasu and he has one in stock, so committed to picking it up tomorrow + badge holder.

Following you and Frank on this. I think it looks beast, heh.

Did you order the optional JDM Honda Badge for $36?

Sorry about that. To make it worse it just snowed here and we are suppose to get
more this week. I’m also on the road right now for the next week with my job
:(

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I did.
I think you will be happy with the grill once it’s in. My brother works in industrial design and he says it’s a nice piece. I think it’s going to look great and there is slot more opening for air to get through to help cool things for the track

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill 16E64D32-5B75-4814-818B-D50B19FF3507
Loving how aggressive the J’s racing grill looks paired with the Morimotos. Not a big fan of mismatched hood colors but gotta admit this looks pretty sweet even without the optional badge. Can’t wait to see how yours turns out.
Sponsored