ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
/\ Did you not have to cut out the bumper plastic center support behind the current grill/Red H badge ?
Not sure. My shop did the entire install. I don't think there is anything we cut out though. The emblem support is just mounted by some brackets.
Sponsored

Xando

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if this will fit the other trims, originally I thought about getting the pro civic grille and cutting the honeycomb plastic and badge area out. Price is too steep

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I can confirm there is a center piece of the OEM bumper that needs to be cut out. The center piece is a thin piece of plastic painted the same color as the bumper and hides behind the OEM Type R badge. Its about 1 inch wide at the top and widens to about 2 inches wide at the base of the OEM grill where you cut it flush. You leave about 2-3 cm at the top for the J grill to attach to. I am in the process of installing the J's grill now. You also need to drill 3 small screw holes near the top inside the current OEM grill once its out.
Also note the J's grill is made of thick fiberglass so it seems more rigid and stronger than the OEM one. It seems like a good quality piece. I also got the optional emblem mount and red H badge. Although the fiberglass is gel coated black there are spots where they needed to grind it down which means you will likely have to get it painted, which is what I did. I also got the metal honeycomb mess grill painted to match at the same time.
Overall the install was not that bad so far. I will get pictures up once I get the rest of my car back together and get the front bumper back on.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I can confirm there is a center piece of the OEM bumper that needs to be cut out. The center piece is a thin piece of plastic painted the same color as the bumper and hides behind the OEM Type R badge. Its about 1 inch wide at the top and widens to about 2 inches wide at the base of the OEM grill where you cut it flush. You leave about 2-3 cm at the top for the J grill to attach to. I am in the process of installing the J's grill now. You also need to drill 3 small screw holes near the top inside the current OEM grill once its out.
Also note the J's grill is made of thick fiberglass so it seems more rigid and stronger than the OEM one. It seems like a good quality piece. I also got the optional emblem mount and red H badge. Although the fiberglass is gel coated black there are spots where they needed to grind it down which means you will likely have to get it painted, which is what I did. I also got the metal honeycomb mess grill painted to match at the same time.
Overall the install was not that bad so far. I will get pictures up once I get the rest of my car back together and get the front bumper back on.
please post pics! When my grill arrives I’d like to be more familiar with the process.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, I respectfully 2nd this request. Planning to join you guys once the finances recover from a couple other mod purchases ;)

please post pics! When my grill arrives I’d like to be more familiar with the process.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cut this white (same color as your car) piece (plastic) behind the grille:

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill upload_2020-3-14_16-55-1

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I hope to get some pics up on Wednesday evening along with a brief description. Going back in the shop on Monday to work on it. The instructions don't have the best pics and are in Japanese. Used Google pic translator to help out.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Cut this white (same color as your car) piece (plastic) behind the grille:

upload_2020-3-14_16-55-1.png
if your getting the part that holds the front badge wouldn't it cover this?

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
/\ In theory, yes. The problem is the bottom part of the J's grill goes back deeper into the grill opening than the OEM one and this center plastic piece is in the way.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In RStoR pic above you can see 2 black screws at the top corner at each side. You need to drill a small hole through the bumper plastic for those 2 screws (inside where the OEM grill used to be so they dont show). The slightly revised J grill instructions have you also leave about 2 to 3 cm of the center piece you cut out at the top end. This is where you drill a small third hole to line up with the top black screw RStoR has mounted on the center silver brace with a total of 4 screw in it. The center 2 screws on the silver metal brace hold the optional J's Type R Honda emblem if you purchase that option.
Again, I will get more pics up by mid week once I get back to my car to finish this install :)

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
In RStoR pic above you can see 2 black screws at the top corner at each side. You need to drill a small hole through the bumper plastic for those 2 screws (inside where the OEM grill used to be so they dont show). The slightly revised J grill instructions have you also leave about 2 to 3 cm of the center piece you cut out at the top end. This is where you drill a small third hole to line up with the top black screw RStoR has mounted on the center silver brace with a total of 4 screw in it. The center 2 screws on the silver metal brace hold the optional J's Type R Honda emblem if you purchase that option.
Again, I will get more pics up by mid week once I get back to my car to finish this install :)
i think I should be good if it comes with instructions.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would think with the price of the J's grill it would come as a bolt in grill with zero modifications needed.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For real.. Pretty steep at $875 w/emblem and holder + any associated costs (paint, clear coat, PFF and ceramic)...

That said, I really like the function and aggressive look, heh.

You would think with the price of the J's grill it would come as a bolt in grill with zero modifications needed.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, here are some pics of the J's Racing front grill install.
Note: I bought the grill along with the optional J's Type R front badge mount. I had the grill, silver grill mesh, and silver center support bar all painted black and clear coated by an automotive paint shop. It also appears that the J Racing center support bar is a bit wider than some of the original ones I have seen in pictures and the Japanese instruction sheet.

First, here is what the back of the OEM grill looks like (N. American model). There are several screws you will remove to get the grill to pop out of the front (you can see a few at the center right and left of the grill above the red plastic, as well as some along the bottom of the grill).
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill Tpe R OEM grill backsid

Here is the piece of bumper plastic that must be cut to fit the new deeper J's grill back in. The instructions which are in Japaneses tell you to leave 2 cm's at the top. If you look at the picture close enough you will see the cut lines. I left 3 cm from the top and it was still not in the way, or visible from the front, once the new J's grill was in
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1570

Next the kit provides a long very thin strand of self adhesive black foam which you insert in the small horizontal grove you can see just below the top green painters paint in the pic above. (You can see it installed in the groove in the three drill hole pics below)

Now fit the 9 provided nut clips onto the 9 tabs you will find on the inside of the J fiberglass grill (note: 1 nut clip is hidden in this photo behind the center support bracket which I already installed using the optional J's Racing Type R badge mount). Next, screw the supplied metal center support bracket at the center bottom (and the optional badge emblem mount if you have one). Place the metal mesh in place and bend down the 8 silver wire pieces pre-epoxied to the inside of the grill to hold it in place. I also found I had to bend the wire mesh overhang a bit at the bottom two corners for the grill to then fit back into the bumper. Note I elected to place the mesh behind the supplied metal center support bar as I did not want the black finish to be scrapped off on the front.
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1587

Now insert your J's grill grill into the bumper opening through the front. There are 4 tabs along top ridge to help you line it up.
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1582

Now you must mark and drill 3 holes in the rear of the bumper behind the grill near the top (one inside the 2 to 3 cm center piece that was left at the top inside of the bumper after cutting out the center piece, and two to line up with the two top corner nut clips in the 2nd picture above.

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1588

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1589

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1590

Now line up and screw in the 9 supplied black bolts into the nut clips to hold the grill in place. Note the one longer bolt goes to the top center hole through the support bracket if you are using it. I added three of my own washers under the top three bolts for good measure.

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing Fk8 Grill IMG_1597

The grill is still not mounted back on the car yet as I have a couple more items I am working on. I will post some more pics once I get it mounted.

Last edited: