Austype R

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Country flag
I had this on my MK7R and it was phenomenal. George at BM has pretty much unmatched customer service response. Days, weekend, nights...he almost always gets back to you in quick order on whatever questions you may have. It totally transformed the Golf R, so I'm thrilled to see this available on the Type R =)
Yeah George at bms was so good. He really believes in the product and is always happy to help.
Sponsored

mdm24

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah George at bms was so good. He really believes in the product and is always happy to help.
But George doesn’t work on the FK8 product right? Any experience with the guys that do?
I had the JB1 on my Golf R and loved it.

Austype R

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Country flag
But George doesn’t work on the FK8 product right? Any experience with the guys that do?
I had the JB1 on my Golf R and loved it.
I believe it’s terry and ando.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Also came out of a Golf R. Then, I didn’t think JB4 was a great choice, a custom tuned ECU reflash made so much more power due to more adjustable parameters.

But for the FK8, just maybe. No jailbreaking crap. Also, Honda are way more killjoy about modifications than VW, so if it’s undetectable in this platform, it might be a good call.

It’s interesting.

Austype R

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Country flag
Also came out of a Golf R. Then, I didn’t think JB4 was a great choice, a custom tuned ECU reflash made so much more power due to more adjustable parameters.

But for the FK8, just maybe. No jailbreaking crap. Also, Honda are way more killjoy about modifications than VW, so if it’s undetectable in this platform, it might be a good call.

It’s interesting.
Yeah I don’t want to unlock it not worth it. I will let you know what I think when it’s in

devert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Debating between this and Hondata. Hmm

Austype R

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Country flag
If you don’t care about warranty then hondata is prob best. I think you are always better getting a protune or custom tune rather than running off the shelf maps. But jb4 suits me fine for the moment. In Australia hondata is not that cheap and could mess with warranty

Austype R

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Country flag
What's the difference between this unit and the AFE Scorcher GT module?
it's way more advanced. they continually update firmware when new features are released. it connects to obII port so it can monitor and datalog. logs get reviewed by burger to see if you can push it more. you can run e85 and run boost by rpm. set up wmi. it connects to phone or laptop.(some features not on type R yet)

OP
OP

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
What's the difference between this unit and the AFE Scorcher GT module?
Looks like they do the same thing, both piggy back tunes. I just learned about the AFE after your question and that one looks better IMO. So really no different, except the AFE provides that 4 stage button to change maps. JB4 provides Bluetooth connection to change maps on phone, and see other car readings (for extra $$).

OP
OP

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
The big reason why I buy new cars is for the warranties. I purposely stay away from full ECU flashes in the case I need honda to fix my car for free haha IF your car is out of warranty, I would def recommend a real tune. Plus this is way cheaper and if you dont like it then you can probably sell for most of what you paid.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I personally believe, if you modify the car, be prepared to pay for the consequences when things go wrong. a flash or not.

People always be complaining about dealers who doesn't honor their warranty but say nothing about people who put the car back to "stock" to try go get stuff warrantied. Both are shady acts imo.

OP
OP

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I personally believe, if you modify the car, be prepared to pay for the consequences when things go wrong. a flash or not.

People always be complaining about dealers who doesn't honor their warranty but say nothing about people who put the car back to "stock" to try go get stuff warrantied. Both are shady acts imo.
And it really sucks when dealers wont warranty something when you make a modification that didnt affect what actually went wrong. Things are always shady. Gotta do you best not to get screwed.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
And it really sucks when dealers wont warranty something when you make a modification that didnt affect what actually went wrong. Things are always shady. Gotta do you best not to get screwed.
the bolded part really is the biggest problem with the whole warranty program. i agree with you and do understand "protecting your own behind" aspect of it. They have the magnuson moss warranty act but it's just too time consuming to have to fight through it with the dealer to get it done if they don't want to do it. It's best to take it to a different dealer if that's the case. I personally never had an issue getting stuff warrantied but my friend has had problems getting stuff done through subaru on his brz.

Unfortunately, there are shady people that does modify it and try to pull it off as never been touched and try to get stuff honored. So I guess you can say, they are also basically "protecting their behind" too.

It's just a shitty world that we live in unfortunately. :(

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I had a JB1 on my 2016 Jetta 1.8T and it was flawless for 3 yrs. I ran the 93 oct map good for about 40hp. That made the car so much more fun to drive. I just sold it on the vwvortex forum. I'd also like to mention the customer service was always excellent.

Austype R

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Country flag
Looks like they do the same thing, both piggy back tunes. I just learned about the AFE after your question and that one looks better IMO. So really no different, except the AFE provides that 4 stage button to change maps. JB4 provides Bluetooth connection to change maps on phone, and see other car readings (for extra $$).
AFE looks better? are you serious
Sponsored