Steven
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R
    Night Fury thanked this.
  2. Night Fury

Night Fury Senior Member

Car(s):
    Black Type R

At the beginning, someone said the ECU on the Type R works similar to the one found in some Euro models – specially Bimmer ones, and while piggybacks have mixed reputation, we cannot omit the fact, they (Burger Tuning) works great with BMW cars, the CTR should be no exception and definitely way cheaper than the JDM versions.

-This is the way for someone trying to not make a permanent change on the car..

3. LilToTo17

LilToTo17 Senior Member

Accountant
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
    Have you seen their dyno graphs lol. Doesn't look so good

4. OP
    VashR547

VashR547 Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R
    honds-civic-type-r-dyno_1024x1024.jpg
    Looks very similar to the stock torque curve, just with more power throughout. I wouldn't say it looks bad

5. LilToTo17

LilToTo17 Senior Member

Accountant
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
    Some iffy parts up top like misfire

6. Type R 761

Type R 761 Member

First Name:
    Marco
    Car(s):
    FK8 Civic type R and VW sportswagen AWD
    I have it installed it last week. Running Map1 with 94Octane for now. You can feel the 40lbs of extra tork at WOT. Pros are it's easy to install, $$ per gains are good. Works super well with phone paired via Bluetooth. Maps take 2 secs to change. Just double tap icon on phone. I also like the fact that I can now see actual Oil temp, trans oil temp and water temp live. I'm going to the track on 19th. Been running 2 years in stock from so I will report back to give you real world top speed gains at the end of longest straight. I only got it for the track. On the street, car was already too fast. Now with extra 40lbs of torque it's faster still. At WOT, you can never use it as other cars are on the road and in the way.... super slow ;) and within a few seconds you already at legal speeds. On the track it will be just right

Yoanll, metal_driver and VashR547 thanked this.
  7. idragmazda

idragmazda Senior Member

M&A
    First Name:
    Depo
    Car(s):
    Current: 2018 Type R, 1977 CB400F; Previously: 2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2006 Civic, 1992 Mazda B2600i
    Do the Canadian cars have a oil temp and trans oil temp sensors? We definitely do not have those on the US cars.

LilToTo17 thanked this.
  8. CTtypeR

CTtypeR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Isn't it a Bosch ECU? Makes sense that it'd be similar to euro cars. Personally I don't like the idea of a piggyback but it has my curiousity

boosted180sx thanked this.
  9. OP
    VashR547

VashR547 Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R
    Thanks for the reply! Mine is currently bone stock and once I hot 5,000 RPM (or right about) in 2nd gear I get wheel spin and a nice chirp up shifting to 3.
    Are you noticing a lot morel loss of traction when hammering 2nd?
    How long did it take to install?
    And did you have to run anything back into the cabin to plug into the OBD2? OR was all the installation in the engine bay?

10. Type R 761

Type R 761 Member

First Name:
    Marco
    Car(s):
    We have the same cars except for a extra sticker VTEC turbo on hatch + camera in passenger motor. It makes sense that all these sensors exist as Car ECU monitors. The water temp we see graph in dash. Now I have actual temp to go with it so I can see what that translates to on Barr graph on track. The JB4 plugs into OBD2 port so it's reading of the ECU directly. I can also log with my phone so I will record some track time and see temps. On the road temps are not hot. But then again it's been cool here and I was not in traffic

11. Type R 761

Type R 761 Member

First Name:
    Marco
    Car(s):
    I never really hammer The car in 1st/2nd. In 3rd/4th/5th all the time. It pulls harder no doubt. Like I said, once I go to the track I can quantify it for you. It's to fast for the street flat out. On Falken Azenis 510 OEM size. No loss of traction in 3/4/5. Installation first time 30min do you figure it out. Second time 2-3 min max. For OBD2 I ran it through the door Jam so it's easy to remove. I didn't look into going through firewall yet.

12. Type R 761

Type R 761 Member

First Name:
    Marco
    Car(s):
    Correction, I checked with Burger Motorsport. Water/0il temp is taken from can Bus. So Car has sensors built-in. No trans temp. It's mislabeled on app the other temps we get are pre and post intercooler air temp so we can monitor heat soak

13. idragmazda

idragmazda Senior Member

M&A
    First Name:
    Depo
    Car(s):
    Current: 2018 Type R, 1977 CB400F; Previously: 2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2006 Civic, 1992 Mazda B2600i
    Thanks. Water temp unfortunately is not same as oil temp.

14. Type R 761

Type R 761 Member

First Name:
    Marco
    Car(s):
    yes indeed. So let me repeat. The CTR has both an oil sensor and a water sensor built-in. Just get a device that can read them. JB4 can.

15. Austype R

Austype R Member

First Name:
    ray
    Car(s):
    fk8 type r
    Purchased by jb4 yesterday can’t wait. Had it on the golf r and it was great.. guys were getting good power similar to stage 2 numbers. I know that the jb4 isn’t as well developed for the Honda platform but I’m sure as time goes on it will be improved. Lots of hate from hondata and ktuner guys. But at $2300 for FlashPro and unlock I just can’t justify it. Specially when the car is fast enough stock and has such a great warranty.