First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What are yalls thoughts on this? I've always been pretty wary of chips due to them not working or causing major issues. I saw someone on here talking about it and was just curious on it. I know it doesn't have to same capabilities as Hondata, but for its price, and if it does what it says it does, I don't see it as a bad buy for those who can't due the hondata or ktuner. Link is below.

https://jb4store.com/collections/honda/products/burger-tuning-bms-honda-1-5l-turbo-jb4-beta?
Sponsored

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
What are yalls thoughts on this? I've always been pretty wary of chips due to them not working or causing major issues. I saw someone on here talking about it and was just curious on it. I know it doesn't have to same capabilities as Hondata, but for its price, and if it does what it says it does, I don't see it as a bad buy for those who can't due the hondata or ktuner. Link is below.

https://jb4store.com/collections/honda/products/burger-tuning-bms-honda-1-5l-turbo-jb4-beta?

There is a thread on this already in the engine section. I think there are a few people running this. You would prob get better feedback there.

Here:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/jb4-piggyback-tune-on-civic-type-r.37565/

OP
OP
Akuto

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a friend who installed this week.
The unit is legit, data-logging, map switching and access to oil temp among other features.
The mobile app is needed to view engine parameters and costs about $28.
It's perfect for anyone not interested in the ECU hack and flash route.
Performance, it beat the pants of my stock FK8.
It wakes up the motor in a noticeable way, he got a deal at $150 bucks.
Not comparing this to Hondata or Ktuner just giving info for what it's worth.

I'd say to me the Burger unit is the best bang for buck PIGGYBACK option.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Thanks, I did a search for it before I posted but this never came up. :thumbsup:
Yeah, your better off searching the forum from Google than you are using the search function.

I've been eyeing the JB4 myself. If I were to tune, I'd get the JB4. All of the factory protections (lag) but still more horsepower. I feel like if you installed one on the Si, the lowest setting is what the Si should have been from the factory.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I've had it for a few months. Works great, good bang for the buck. That said I don't abuse my car. I run shell nitro 93 oct all the time, map 2 and it pulls nice. The app works well too, zero issues connecting.

mdm24

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had it for a few months. Works great, good bang for the buck. That said I don't abuse my car. I run shell nitro 93 oct all the time, map 2 and it pulls nice. The app works well too, zero issues connecting.
Same experience here. Super easy to install. I’m very pleased with the product. It’s a no-brainer if you’re hesitant to flash your ECU.

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have one for sale PM me with Bluetooth

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I know in the other thread users were fearing the possibility of knock occurring due to the way the system worked. Users asked for logs to confirm either direction but no one has put any up.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I know in the other thread users were fearing the possibility of knock occurring due to the way the system worked. Users asked for logs to confirm either direction but no one has put any up.
Those logs are posted on the JB4 forum.

The conversation on that forum is that the JB4 doesn't push the Knock Control very far from stock. You still have to be pushing it competitively hard in hot weather to push the knock control out of range. (Or be using lower octane fuel).

Unlike an ECM reprogram, all of the factory safeguards and limitations are still in effect.

Interestingly, the JB4 piggyback "co-processor" monitors the boost level and the air to fuel ratio. If either of these parameters exceed the programed safe range for more than a second, the co-processor drops out and everything reverts back to factory. Also the co-processor waits until your vehicle gets up to operating temperature before applying any extra boost.

Last edited:

SpikedLemon

First Name
Spiked
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Country flag
Unlike an ECM reprogram, all of the factory safeguards and limitations are still in effect.

Interestingly, the JB4 piggyback "co-processor" monitors the boost level and the air to fuel ratio. If either of these parameters exceed the programed safe range for more than a second, the co-processor drops out and everything reverts back to factory. Also the co-processor waits until your vehicle gets up to operating temperature before applying any extra boost.
I'm a little daft here for forgive some dumb questions.
Wouldn't that imply that the fixes for the fuel dilution fix applied by Honda would remain intact?

I've used Powercommanders on motorcycles for many many years - which are piggyback systems without issue to adjust fuel maps. Is this similar in its implementation that it simply adjusts the factory output settings? But, being that the controls remain factory, that the factory safeguards remain in place?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
1) Wouldn't that imply that the fixes for the fuel dilution fix applied by Honda would remain intact?

2) Is this similar in its implementation that it simply adjusts the factory output settings?

3) But, being that the controls remain factory, that the factory safeguards remain in place?
1)Yes.

2) Yes. It always tries to add extra boost. Of course it can't until the turbo spools up, but when it doe's, it lies to the ECU about how much pressure is being applied, then gives you the extra boost according to the "map" you've chosen.

3) Yes, except for boost pressure, everything else is fed to the ECU exactly the same so that it can regulate the engine from the other sensors.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
1)Yes.

2) Yes. It always tries to add extra boost. Of course it can't until the turbo spools up, but when it doe's, it lies to the ECU about how much pressure is being applied, then gives you the extra boost according to the "map" you've chosen.

3) Yes, except for boost pressure, everything else is fed to the ECU exactly the same so that it can regulate the engine from the other sensors.
One question. I've had both Hondata and currently KTuner and I'm impressed with how they've transformed the car.

If these piggyback systems actually produce similar power numbers with similar reliability to the ECU tuners, why is there so little buzz about them?

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have installed the JB4 and I love it so far.

I think I am going to get it Dynoed soon just for kicks....

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
One question. I've had both Hondata and currently KTuner and I'm impressed with how they've transformed the car.

If these piggyback systems actually produce similar power numbers with similar reliability to the ECU tuners, why is there so little buzz about them?
They don't produce similar driving experiences.

They don't reduce "Rev Hang".

They don't "early spool"

They don't remove any type of "Lag".

They certainly don't have any control over any type of vehicle stability.

If you want to remap the throttle, you have to buy a separate controller.

The JB4 is the only "PiggyBack" system that I know of that monitors the engine conditions. You can also monitor and graph sensor data through their Phone App. The Phone App will also allow you to see and erase error codes too, but not block them like a "tune" will.

The JB4 merely adds an extra few pounds of boost, and monitors for problems. If it sees any, it "lets go" and gives full control back to the factory systems. The other PiggyBack systems don't monitor, they just keep pushing.
Sponsored

Last edited: