Not open for further replies.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
My take is on the first page because, incase you haven't noticed, repeating the same thing over and over gets on people's nerves.
Well EXCUSE ME. What part bothers you so much ? That I think the Honda engineers might know better than any of us, as to what's what for the Civic ? If you don't think so then you should've bought a different car ...
Sponsored

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
0/20 again is all about CAFE and not in your best interest as a 2.0 or especially a 1.5t owner.
If 0W-20 get's slightly better MPG then it has less friction and that's better. Have you got any data to back up your claim ? How much MPG difference ? Probably very little.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well EXCUSE ME. What part bothers you so much ? That I think the Honda engineers might know better than any of us, as to what's what for the Civic ? If you don't think so then you should've bought a different car ...
Not quite, the whole repeating yourself a thousand times per thread is annoying as all fuck. These are text, they're not going anywhere, we all understand your point and it will be there forever, no need to repeat. Again, no need to repeat.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
0/20 is fine til you start torquing the 162lbs. so don't be doing that.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
What's your take ? That 5W-30 IS better than the 0W-20 that is specified ? I assume the Honda engineers know what they're talking about and that the prescribed viscosity is optimal. Therefore any deviation from that must be detrimental. Simple.
Steve, this is poor reasoning and very narrow sighted.

Lets use an example - the Civic hatchback sport ekes out a little bit more horsepower out of the same 1.5Ts in the current Sedan and Coupe. Same thing with the upcoming CRV, which also uses the same 1.5T.

The hatchback sport requires premium gas, while the sedan/coupe does not, at the expense of 6hp.

Same engine, same engineers, but different numbers - why?

The omnipotent Honda Engineers that you place so much trust in to, are NOT the only ones designing the car. There are accountants, non-technical supervisors, marketers, board of directors, lawyers for allll the various markets the car is sold in, etc. They find the best common ground collectively, and then release whatever product it is. Solely because of this, compromises are made.

Now, back on topic with the oil - engine oil will degrade over time, as I'm sure you're aware. the 0W20 will not stay 0W20, and if you go in for warranty Honda is not going to send an oil sample for analysis just to deny your claim. They have no way of knowing.

The prescribed viscosity, as mentioned repeatedly in this thread, is optimal for fuel consumption and emissions and other requirements. Your assumption is that Honda Engineers chose the best oil is correct, but for many things all considered - Likewise, if an owner wants to put 5W30 for performance, then that's not wrong to do.

I'm not gonna get into the whole catch-can debate again, but this is essentially the same thing. You can put 0W20 in yours all your life, since that's what's written on the cap.

But unless someone is pouring gatorade into their crankcase, to question their decision to change their car to see how they fit, backed with empirical evidence, with the only argument that HONDA ENGINEERS KNOW BEST is stupid at best.

Last edited:

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if I was living in SoCal this 5/30 would be 10/30, go down to the track and ask how many are using 0/20?

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
< snips >

The hatchback sport requires premium gas, while the sedan/coupe does not, at the expense of 6hp.

Same engine, same engineers, but different numbers - why?

*** I don't follow. What different numbers ? ***

The prescribed viscosity, as mentioned repeatedly in this thread, is optimal for fuel consumption and emissions and other requirements. Your assumption is that Honda Engineers chose the best oil is correct, but for many things all considered - Likewise, if an owner wants to put 5W30 for performance, then that's not wrong to do.

*** What performance does 5W-30 enhance ? On the other hand, it's not optimal and therefore there will be some negative consequences and that IS wrong. ***

Now, back on topic with the oil - engine oil will degrade over time, as I'm sure you're aware. the 0W20 will not stay 0W20, and if you go in for warranty Honda is not going to send an oil sample for analysis just to deny your claim. They have no way of knowing.

*** I pointed this out already. So what ? ***

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this Honda spec is the one I run...

Honda / Acura HTO-06

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Congratulations on your Acura. Really nice car.

I'm not sure what the point is. That oil filler cap doesn't look as if it came with the Acura. It stresses using Mobil 1 (good advice) and referring to the Owner's Manual (very good advice). Doesn't say anything about viscosity.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
here's info on Honda/Acura HTO-06 turbo spec oils..

https://www.google.com/#q=honda+sae+hto-06

You'll find this protects far better than any 0/20 at the price of -1.5% mpg. if your keeping your turbo it's a reasonable trade off imo.
Reference just seems to pull up an exchange on some spec HTO-6. You call it a "... Acura turbo spec (for) oils". I don't have either a turbo or an Acura, so I don't know the applicability of HTO-06 to my LX Civic 2L N/A. 1.5% certainly isn't much and doesn't confirm that 0W-20 is all about CAFE. Surely if 5W-30 was significantly better then Honda would have recommended it. What possible motive could they have for deliberately misleading their customers ? Certainly not for only 1.5% more MPG.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HTO (heat transfer oil) spec, designed by Honda and XOM. Steve, your N/A 2.0 is probably fine with any 5/30 if you look at that link and the first .pdf XOM explains the benefits of 0/20 but stops short of comparing it to a HTO spec because 0/20 gives up protection for increased efficiency of 1.5% so there you have it directly from the mfg. Oil like tires is all about trade-offs.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW: that 5/30 HTO spec has not been superseded and I suspect the R will carry that spec as well.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.