Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
I had a K24 new in '03 when Honda went slap happy with 5/20, many of those wound up with cam issues and oil consumption.. you have history repeating itself, no way I'll fry my hi torque, hi heat 1.5T to join the CAFE conservation effort...and I don't understand how you come up with extreme tite oil passages?....I'm sure the turbo bearing has ample oil flow if erred to the max.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The oil passages are configured to prevent over-oiling of the turbo and help maintain proper crankcase pressure via the return line. Their spec/size is more a function of flow rate.

I'm not against running a thicker oil when the data supports doing so. But the UOA's that have been done so far, have been very favorable on the 1.5T. If we were seeing aggressive wear or excessive contaminants in the oil, then it might be worth having a discussion about changing things up.

But I wouldn't suggest going in blindly using a heavier grade oil (or suggest others do the same) without the proper data to back it up.

Last edited:

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
I had a K24 new in '03 when Honda went slap happy with 5/20, many of those wound up with cam issues and oil consumption.. you have history repeating itself, no way I'll fry my hi torque, hi heat 1.5T to join the CAFE conservation effort...and I don't understand how you come up with extreme tite oil passages?....I'm sure the turbo bearing has ample oil flow if erred to the max.
The recommended viscosity is optimally tuned to match the pump, oilways, bearing clearances, and possibly other factors. You seem to think that higher viscosities are somehow always a safer bet; that you know better than the Honda designers and engineers. Maybe that there's some grand conspiracy to push the lighter oil ? Do you realize the consequences, if you're wrong and the designers and engineers are right ?

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this guy has bearing and cylinder particulate in his oil, alot for 4,700mi. and he's already stripped out his vvt.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
this guy has bearing and cylinder particulate in his oil, alot for 4,700mi. and he's already stripped out his vvt.
Not sure if you're being serious, but Honda had a pretty big issue with the VTC actuators in accords and CRVs around those years. It wasn't the oil, it was a flaw in the VTC actuator design and has been redesigned since then. I haven't heard any issues from people who have the updated VTC actuator even using factory oil.

And the report notes even say "this is a good report"

Hardly a "fried" engine...

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if it wasn't for the bitter cold snaps here I'd run a nice 10/30 or 5/40.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
he will start using oil by 70k.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
he will start using oil by 70k.
Oh, I didn't know you were psychic. Guess we're done here boys, this guy can see the future and knows everything. Go ahead and lock the thread mods, using oil out of spec with the engine is unquestionably an upgrade because the man who can see the future says it is. No reason for further comments.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we should get the Honda oil spec for Australia or even Thailand curious what that is.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
seen this all before, get bossy with the throttle on 0/20 and by 80k your burning oil...then the switch to 5/30 or 0/40 to slow the consumption.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
we should get the Honda oil spec for Australia or even Thailand curious what that is.
Hence the reason we're worried about your "upgrade" and lack of research. A simple 30 sec search would have revealed that 0W-20 is universally used across all 2016/17 Civics.

seen this all before, get bossy with the throttle on 0/20 and by 80k your burning oil...then the switch to 5/30 or 0/40 to slow the consumption.
Two different issues. And you know that lol. If you were really concerned about sheer protection you'd be running a high zinc synth instead of dino.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
almost all of the 0/20 CAFE spec'd engines use oil by 50k, then the common fix is to slow the consumption by using a heavier weight oil when it's the heavier oil film that was needed for wear protection to begin with, now throw in a turbo charger and DI fuel dilution on a sport chassis and you have high probability of premature wear resulting in oil consumption and a performance deficit from the resulting compression loss.

Yes, going to a heavier weight will use fractionally more fuel and use another horse or 2 but it's a welcome alternate to the above when your Civic is at 125k.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.