Not open for further replies.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
You are exactly

You are right about Mobil1 not being a PAO (polyalphaolephin) true pure synthetic. But, their extended life series (15000 mile) oil is. GF-5 even. And I'm an Amsoil dealer and believer/devotee. Amsoil SS (signature series) their best, is still a GF-4 oil. Yet, still seems to win every independent lab test out there. I use it in every thing I own. This is a pic of what the inside of my cummins diesel looked like at 140,000 miles. No sludge at all, it still looked like a brand new engine inside. It used 0 oil between changes, and I used it to pull a 10,000 pound trailer running 41 PSI of turboboost. That's what Amsoil can do with regular changes.

IMG_2831.JPG
Even the valve cover gasket looks so fresh!! :bow: AMSOIL ftw

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Probably what cummins called for in the engine no?! :rofl:
No, they specified 15W-40, but, permitted 5W-40 IF, it was a pure synthetic. Amsoil made both, but since the warm viscosity was the same, I chose the 5W for the superior cold flow.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
No, they specified 15W-40, but, permitted 5W-40 IF, it was a pure synthetic. Amsoil made both, but since the warm viscosity was the same, I chose the 5W for the superior cold flow.
And there is nothing wrong with using a lighter oil on cold start conditions, that's what smart people do lol. Good stuff. I gotta find some SS for my next change, I miss that gold.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even the valve cover gasket looks so fresh!! :bow: AMSOIL ftw
The valve cover gasket was original, and didn't leak a drop. I just kept reusing it every time I pulled the valve cover off to adjust the valves.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For sure man, I hear you. I just never over fill it, which would also be very bad for wot pulls. What oil are you running boss?
I chose the Mobil1 advanced fuel economy full synthetic for the 1st change around 7500 miles I had 30â„… on the minder.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I chose the Mobil1 advanced fuel economy full synthetic for the 1st change around 7500 miles I had 30â„… on the minder.
Nothing wrong with that choice. That is also the (good) Mobil1

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
5/40 is in my Toyota Highlander 12/365, 90k and not a drop burns in 15k.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
It still amazes me, how anyone would consider an oil, outside that recommended by the manufacturer of the engine, to somehow be an upgrade ! Really ?! Have you consulted Honda on this ?

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It still amazes me, how anyone would consider an oil, outside that recommended by the manufacturer of the engine, to somehow be an upgrade ! Really ?! Have you consulted Honda on this ?
It's because we know these specifications are often decided by bureaucratic regulators who don't care one whit about the life and health of our expensive engines. They specify oils too thin to properly lube and protect our engines in order to save 1/10 mpg. If we had any trust at all in them we might follow their recommendations.... but we don't!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's because we know these specifications are often decided by bureaucratic regulators who don't care one whit about the life and health of our expensive engines. They specify oils too thin to properly lube and protect our engines in order to save 1/10 mpg. If we had any trust at all in them we might follow their recommendations.... but we don't!
As somebody who is on the other side of the wall, I can tell you that is only partly true. Yes, there are lots of stipulations that have to be met due to regulations and mandated goals. No, they do not drive every decision that is made in regards to longevity of components.

Look at motors from today vs motors 5, 10, and 20 years ago. We have 1.5L 4 cylinder motors producing more power than a C4 Corvette LT1 and over triple the MPG the LT1 made. The new 2.0 turbo motor from GM in Cadillac's is absolutely amazing. This is all due to regulations and companies competing with each other.

You would not believe the amount of computer testing and physical validation that goes into these decisions. If Honda is saying to use 0w20, it's because of tolerances inside the engine, not because Obama says to use 0w20 or you can't sell here.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As somebody who is on the other side of the wall, I can tell you that is only partly true. Yes, there are lots of stipulations that have to be met due to regulations and mandated goals. No, they do not drive every decision that is made in regards to longevity of components.

Look at motors from today vs motors 5, 10, and 20 years ago. We have 1.5L 4 cylinder motors producing more power than a C4 Corvette LT1 and over triple the MPG the LT1 made. The new 2.0 turbo motor from GM in Cadillac's is absolutely amazing. This is all due to regulations and companies competing with each other.

You would not believe the amount of computer testing and physical validation that goes into these decisions. If Honda is saying to use 0w20, it's because of tolerances inside the engine, not because Obama says to use 0w20 or you can't sell here.[/QUOTE

I believe engineers do the best they can to produce the highest quality products possible within the parameters they are given to work with. Some of these parameters come from government regulations that do not have our best interests at heart. Some come from the bean counters that also do not have our best interests at heart. Given these limitations, it really is amazing how good modern engines have become.

Status
Not open for further replies.