I've reached Wireless CarPlay end game while keeping stock HU (content heavy)

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Hey all,

I've been working on upgrading the audio components on my 2016 EX since i've gotten it 2.5 months ago. The only thing that was a lackluster experience was that I've had to plug in my phone to have CarPlay appear on the HU. I've finally reached the end of the road and everything is how I wanted to be. All speakers upgraded, amp installed, factory EQ correction, custom fiberglass subwoofer box completed, and now wireless CarPlay and Charging. I'll post pictures, videos and parts i've used (with purchase links) that helped me achieve what I wanted to achieve

First things first, let's get the parts list out of the way
Audio
Axxess DSP AX-DSP
Axxess T-Harness AX-DSP-HON2
Audiocontrol ACM-4.300
Audiocontrol ACM-1.300
Infinity Kappa 60csx components 2.5Ω (front and back)
Rockford Fosgate P3 10" Shallow Sub 4Ω DVC (custom fiberglass enclosure)
Sound treatment on all doors, rear deck, trunk and rear license plate
Wiring
knukonceptz Positive battery terminal
knukonceptz distribution block
knukonceptz mini-ANL fuse holder
knukonceptz 4AWG OFC (for amps) 0AWG OFC (for big 3)
knukonceptz 10AWG for sub 14AWG to crossover from amp. New wire run to all speakers
Electricals
Yonhan USB QC3.0 socket
CarPlay
Carlinkit USB Wireless CarPlay adapter
Wireless Charging
ZWNAV Qi pad (meant to replace factory cubby compartment)

Let's start with the wireless charging pad. I've looked into the different option. OEM would always be best but Honda's version has that large ugly rectangular warning sticker on it and didn't provide any other functionality. Also let's not ignore the fact that it's $250~ or even more depending on where you buy it. So I said F that noise and looked for alternatives. I found ones that were $50~ but all the reviews looked bad and the design of them were horrible as well. I came across one that was half the price of the Honda OEM ones and looked WAY BETTER and had an extra USB port. That was the ZWNAV. I already had the Yonhan QC socket installed by the front USB panel so I tapped the power off of that to power the Qi Pad. Below are pictures of the replacement unit and installation process.

https://imgur.com/a/i3ts8LN
https://imgur.com/a/tgON1qU
Honda Civic 10th gen I've reached Wireless CarPlay end game while keeping stock HU (content heavy) {filename}

Now that we have wireless charging out of the way, let's focus on CarPlay. CarPlay has got to be the most useful head unit experiences. The most annoying thing about our vehicles is that you have to plug in your phone for CarPlay to initiate. So for the first two months I've settled to use the mount that you'll see later on in my video. That was okay. I knew I wanted to have wireless CarPlay. Looking across the forums and reddit, I came across a wireless USB adapter that enabled such feature with an addition of an APK. This USB adapter can be plugged in any of the cars' USB port. Since my HU is rooted, I had no issues with installing the required APK to get wireless CarPlay to work. There are a couple of quirks like not having the song displayed on your cluster when you skip to the next song (torelable) and delay when skipping a song with SWC (which behaves the same as HU with Wireless CarPlay enabled). Once the USB and APK is set up and paired with your device, It automatically launches as soon as your phone establishes WiFi connection to the dongle, music starts playing, happy day. Sometimes the display shows blank but music does play and you just have to exit to Home and go back into the App again. You'll see what I mean in the video below.

Other things I've done was install a Solar panel in the rear deck with a solar controller to passively charge the car battery during the day. Viofo A129dual dash cam powered by 12v 6000mAh Battery Bank that gets its charge from the car only when its on. Viofo dash cam has Parking Mode enabled.

Bonus shots : Subwoofer enclosure
It's not a great build. It was my first time working with fiberglass. But it sounds great.
https://imgur.com/a/o0M7jgo

Overall, It was a strenuous effort but so glad I finally got it completed. I've been really wanting to get one of those Daisata HU replacement but didn't want to compromise OEM look or safety.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to ask me any questions

Also @kperalta, feel free to reply with "ugh"
Sponsored

Kenmakara

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I'm definitely interested in getting wireless CarPlay set up.

Would you be able to tell us step by step how to get the adapter to work? I don't have experience installing any APK's into our stock head units (mine is a 2018 Touring), but with your help, I'm sure I can get it going.

OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I'm definitely interested in getting wireless CarPlay set up.

Would you be able to tell us step by step how to get the adapter to work? I don't have experience installing any APK's into our stock head units (mine is a 2018 Touring), but with your help, I'm sure I can get it going.
Install HondaHack via autohack.org. Buy the pro license, it's worth the features.

Once HondaHack installed, download APK from product listing and place it on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Insert USB drive in center cup holder console port. Install APK via HondaHack.
Once autokit installed, plug in USB dongle. HU should automatically recognize the dongle, asks for permission to auto open AutoKit. Also check for any updates to dongle and autokit app.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Install HondaHack via autohack.org. Buy the pro license, it's worth the features.

Once HondaHack installed, download APK from product listing and place it on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Insert USB drive in center cup holder console port. Install APK via HondaHack.
Once autokit installed, plug in USB dongle. HU should automatically recognize the dongle, asks for permission to auto open AutoKit. Also check for any updates to dongle and autokit app.
Audio Music sounds AMAZING on your Videos .. was it really recorded live ?

I recognize the startup video :thumbsup:

OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Audio Music sounds AMAZING on your Videos .. was it really recorded live ?

I recognize the startup video :thumbsup:
I did a lot of audio upgrades as you can see on the parts list. The DSP I've installed corrected the factory Honda EQ to be more flat (verified with an RTA) and time corrected. Recorded the video of the 11 Pro in action with an iPhone Xs live.

Kenmakara

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag

And this is the one you bought, right? The $79.99 one, not the $178 one.

Honda Civic 10th gen I've reached Wireless CarPlay end game while keeping stock HU (content heavy) Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.59.50 AM

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey all,

I've been working on upgrading the audio components on my 2016 EX since i've gotten it 2.5 months ago. The only thing that was a lackluster experience was that I've had to plug in my phone to have CarPlay appear on the HU. I've finally reached the end of the road and everything is how I wanted to be. All speakers upgraded, amp installed, factory EQ correction, custom fiberglass subwoofer box completed, and now wireless CarPlay and Charging. I'll post pictures, videos and parts i've used (with purchase links) that helped me achieve what I wanted to achieve

First things first, let's get the parts list out of the way
Audio
Axxess DSP AX-DSP
Axxess T-Harness AX-DSP-HON2
Audiocontrol ACM-4.300
Audiocontrol ACM-1.300
Infinity Kappa 60csx components 2.5Ω (front and back)
Rockford Fosgate P3 10" Shallow Sub 4Ω DVC (custom fiberglass enclosure)
Sound treatment on all doors, rear deck, trunk and rear license plate
Wiring
knukonceptz Positive battery terminal
knukonceptz distribution block
knukonceptz mini-ANL fuse holder
knukonceptz 4AWG OFC (for amps) 0AWG OFC (for big 3)
knukonceptz 10AWG for sub 14AWG to crossover from amp. New wire run to all speakers
Electricals
Yonhan USB QC3.0 socket
CarPlay
Carlinkit USB Wireless CarPlay adapter
Wireless Charging
ZWNAV Qi pad (meant to replace factory cubby compartment)

Let's start with the wireless charging pad. I've looked into the different option. OEM would always be best but Honda's version has that large ugly rectangular warning sticker on it and didn't provide any other functionality. Also let's not ignore the fact that it's $250~ or even more depending on where you buy it. So I said F that noise and looked for alternatives. I found ones that were $50~ but all the reviews looked bad and the design of them were horrible as well. I came across one that was half the price of the Honda OEM ones and looked WAY BETTER and had an extra USB port. That was the ZWNAV. I already had the Yonhan QC socket installed by the front USB panel so I tapped the power off of that to power the Qi Pad. Below are pictures of the replacement unit and installation process.

https://imgur.com/a/i3ts8LN
https://imgur.com/a/tgON1qU
Honda Civic 10th gen I've reached Wireless CarPlay end game while keeping stock HU (content heavy) Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.59.50 AM

Now that we have wireless charging out of the way, let's focus on CarPlay. CarPlay has got to be the most useful head unit experiences. The most annoying thing about our vehicles is that you have to plug in your phone for CarPlay to initiate. So for the first two months I've settled to use the mount that you'll see later on in my video. That was okay. I knew I wanted to have wireless CarPlay. Looking across the forums and reddit, I came across a wireless USB adapter that enabled such feature with an addition of an APK. This USB adapter can be plugged in any of the cars' USB port. Since my HU is rooted, I had no issues with installing the required APK to get wireless CarPlay to work. There are a couple of quirks like not having the song displayed on your cluster when you skip to the next song (torelable) and delay when skipping a song with SWC (which behaves the same as HU with Wireless CarPlay enabled). Once the USB and APK is set up and paired with your device, It automatically launches as soon as your phone establishes WiFi connection to the dongle, music starts playing, happy day. Sometimes the display shows blank but music does play and you just have to exit to Home and go back into the App again. You'll see what I mean in the video below.

Other things I've done was install a Solar panel in the rear deck with a solar controller to passively charge the car battery during the day. Viofo A129dual dash cam powered by 12v 6000mAh Battery Bank that gets its charge from the car only when its on. Viofo dash cam has Parking Mode enabled.

Bonus shots : Subwoofer enclosure
It's not a great build. It was my first time working with fiberglass. But it sounds great.
https://imgur.com/a/o0M7jgo

Overall, It was a strenuous effort but so glad I finally got it completed. I've been really wanting to get one of those Daisata HU replacement but didn't want to compromise OEM look or safety.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to ask me any questions

Also @kperalta, feel free to reply with "ugh"
Hahahahaha no this is dope, especially since there's my audiocontrol in it :cry:

I will have to throw you an ugh for that axxess dsp tho.

Ugh

Last edited:
OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
And this is the one you bought, right? The $79.99 one, not the $178 one.
yes. I can confirm the $178 does not work. You need to have hondahack installed to install the APK

Hahahahaha no this is dope, especially since there's my audiocontrol in it :cry:

I will have to throw you an ugh for that axxess dsp tho.

Ugh
I'm just waiting for the D-5.1300 to come out

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
yes. I can confirm the $178 does not work. You need to have hondahack installed to install the APK

I'm just waiting for the D-5.1300 to come out
That shits clean I just wish the 5th channel was 1k

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Someone else posted they got the 178 dollar dongle to work. It was a plug and play. No need to download and install the APK file.

OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Someone else posted they got the 178 dollar dongle to work. It was a plug and play. No need to download and install the APK file.
link? I would love to see how they did it. I’ve been back and forth with the mfger on WhatsApp for 3 days now

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
link? I would love to see how they did it. I’ve been back and forth with the mfger on WhatsApp for 3 days now
Howdy! I'm the guy that got it to work. where are you getting stuck?

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Nice work! I want to replace my bottom front speakers too (so I'm going to do about 5% of the work what you have done here). AndI have one question: do I need to disconnect the battery if I want to replace the front speakers? Is it a problem if I plan to use a 3Ohm Spekaer instead of a 4 Ohm speaker (I dont plan to use it on max volume). It would be this one, I'm just not sure if it fits in the car:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ground-Zero...710938?hash=item364957969a:g:b2MAAOSwTnBcgVOL

OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
do I need to disconnect the battery if I want to replace the front speakers? Is it a problem if I plan to use a 3Ohm Spekaer instead of a 4 Ohm speaker (I dont plan to use it on max volume).
no need to disconnect battery when replacing speakers. just don't turn the car on or to ACC. The mid-woofers are going to produce sound. The headunit may not provide enough power to produce "good" sound so it may sound lackluster. Get something like a kicker key or alpine ktp-445u where you don't need to run additional power from the engine bay and can shove behind the head unit. Use the AX-DSP-HON2 t-harness so you don't cut any factory wires to tap into radio for power and speakers. Kicker key will be nicer because it has a built in DSP and AUTOTUNE.
Sponsored