It's now officially official

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was in a similar boat as you, wanting a more cushy car built for highway cruising and ended up getting a pretty clean e46 330ci to compliment the Si. Old car, but still feels fresh and still one of the best handling luxury cars around. They're silly cheap right now and relatively cheap to own and maintain granted you do your own work. Nothing like those BMW inline 6 engines while netting 30mpg highway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
@amirza786 I've probably got a 5-10 year old Cadillac/Lexus/Acura that's a larger car screaming my name here about ~6 more years if I can just hold off. After having a Cadillac nestled right between my RSX Type-S I had for 3 years and 9th gen Si I had for 3 more... I totally get the appeal. I'd have another one now if I didn't already have too many cars and an unclear future as to whether I'll have to move with the navy again. In a lot of ways, the old Caddy to '15 Civic was a huge downgrade, even through the Civic was more engaging. That boat of a Caddy was no slouch until pushed hard (and it won't hold a candle to a IS 350)... and I liked it'd give me a massage in those big cush leather seats along the way. I got it when I was 30 and took the 'old man car' comments in stride.

I'm excited for you. I figured the end was soon as you kept looking. Once you start seriously looking like that... usually the end is near. This car suits me pretty well but with the 9th gen... I was looking to get out of it before the 2 year mark, I just couldn't figure out what I wanted. If Honda hadn't have a gen 10 Si just come out and it be a pretty large change from the 9th gen... I wouldn't be in this.
You know, I wish the 10th gen was around 10 years ago. Then I would have had at least 10 years on this car. My wife did warn me when I bought a manual that I would regret it. You should have seen the look of satisfaction on her face when I told her I bought the Lexus... the I told you so look

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know, I wish the 10th gen was around 10 years ago. Then I would have had at least 10 years on this car. My wife did warn me when I bought a manual that I would regret it. You should have seen the look of satisfaction on her face when I told her I bought the Lexus... the I told you so look
Yeah... just remind her that car ownership isn't a marriage. Trading in for something new/different isn't a bad thing if it's what you want. I wouldn't regret a few good years of fun and passing it along to someone else to enjoy once you've had your fill... especially since low initial cost + decent resale means you shouldn't get raked over the coals. I know I would have struggled to have leased a car as cheap as my purchase and then trade out of the '15 Si I did. It cost me about $6000 (just under 23k OTD down to mid/high 16s trade value.. can't remember the exact numbers) in depreciation to have that car for 3 years... plus the trade in saved me ~$1000 in tax on the 10th gen. I don't think you can lease a Si for $200/month. The only thing I honestly regret is I didn't skip gen 9 and didn't just get a 8th gen Si... but they held their value so well (mid/upper teens at the time), I almost felt like I had to just get the new car.

While certainly not as cheap as buying and selling older cars that have already had their big depreciation hit... that's peanuts when swapping new car for new car in 3 years. I was done with the '15 when I let it go... and when you're done, you're done.

Who knows what lies ahead? That IS 350, god willing, isn't going to be your last car either... manual or not. Just one more ride in the road to fun. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Yeah... just remind her that car ownership isn't a marriage. Trading in for something new/different isn't a bad thing if it's what you want. I wouldn't regret a few good years of fun and passing it along to someone else to enjoy once you've had your fill... especially since low initial cost + decent resale means you shouldn't get raked over the coals. I know I would have struggled to have leased a car as cheap as my purchase and then trade out of the '15 Si I did. It cost me about $6000 (just under 23k OTD down to mid/high 16s trade value.. can't remember the exact numbers) in depreciation to have that car for 3 years... plus the trade in saved me ~$1000 in tax on the 10th gen. I don't think you can lease a Si for $200/month. The only thing I honestly regret is I didn't skip gen 9 and didn't just get a 8th gen Si... but they held their value so well (mid/upper teens at the time), I almost felt like I had to just get the new car.

While certainly not as cheap as buying and selling older cars that have already had their big depreciation hit... that's peanuts when swapping new car for new car in 3 years. I was done with the '15 when I let it go... and when you're done, you're done.

Who knows what lies ahead? That IS 350, god willing, isn't going to be your last car either... manual or not. Just one more ride in the road to fun. :thumbsup:
I have a friend in LA who buys cars about 5 to 8 years old, than sells them in a few years and buys another car 5 to 8 years old. He loves Infinity's and Honda's. He recently bought a used Honda Fit, kept it a year and just sold it and bought a used Honda Passport. Sometimes he makes some money is the buying and selling, and sometimes he has to shell out a few hundred dollars, but he has never had a car payment, and he is always driving a Honda or Infinity that is 5 to 8 years old. He loves doing this, and will drive way out to remote places if he has to to get that deal

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a friend in LA who buys cars about 5 to 8 years old, than sells them in a few years and buys another car 5 to 8 years old. He loves Infinity's and Honda's. He recently bought a used Honda Fit, kept it a year and just sold it and bought a used Honda Passport. Sometimes he makes some money is the buying and selling, and sometimes he has to shell out a few hundred dollars, but he has never had a car payment, and he is always driving a Honda or Infinity that is 5 to 8 years old. He loves doing this, and will drive way out to remote places if he has to to get that deal
Yeah... I've made and lost a little money here and there buying cars in the 6-12 year range... with the combined cost of depreciation and repair costs for older car ownership costing $10s to about a $100 per month at worst once it's all said and done over a few years... and I've actually broke even a time or two.

It goes against my better judgement to ever buy new but I kind of got on a roll with these Civics. I've enjoyed the novelty of having a new car... but I'm pretty sure I'm through with it after this one. The is the last vehicle I have a payment on and I don't plan to buy anything else until the oldest is ready to drive. If I have to move... I'll be parting with the truck at least (not that it's worth anything) and will have to think hard about keeping the Z or not. I love having the thing and it's the fifth Z I've had... but I think I might just be growing out of it. Between how quick and capable new cars are and the increasing difficulty in finding parts for a legacy car... I've thought on and off to letting it go to someone who's got a passion for Z where mine has waned a bit. It's sad when a Si with a reflash is really as quick from a roll as a stock 300zx twin turbo and can out brake/handle it as well. Cars today are better than ever.

I've usually gone for what I've wanted... but if you do your research and can get a raging deal on an older car that's depreciation has gone flat and turn it around before too long... you really can play the game and drive for next to nothing.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah... I've made and lost a little money here and there buying cars in the 6-12 year range... with the combined cost of depreciation and repair costs for older car ownership costing $10s to about a $100 per month at worst once it's all said and done over a few years... and I've actually broke even a time or two.

It goes against my better judgement to ever buy new but I kind of got on a roll with these Civics. I've enjoyed the novelty of having a new car... but I'm pretty sure I'm through with it after this one. The is the last vehicle I have a payment on and I don't plan to buy anything else until the oldest is ready to drive. If I have to move... I'll be parting with the truck at least (not that it's worth anything) and will have to think hard about keeping the Z or not. I love having the thing and it's the fifth Z I've had... but I think I might just be growing out of it. Between how quick and capable new cars are and the increasing difficulty in finding parts for a legacy car... I've thought on and off to letting it go to someone who's got a passion for Z where mine has waned a bit. It's sad when a Si with a reflash is really as quick from a roll as a stock 300zx twin turbo and can out brake/handle it as well. Cars today are better than ever.

I've usually gone for what I've wanted... but if you do your research and can get a raging deal on an older car that's depreciation has gone flat and turn it around before too long... you really can play the game and drive for next to nothing.
It's all about the electronics in new cars. They now have sensors that monitor sensors. This allows car makers to either downsize or keep it the same engine size, but increase efficiency and power. It's good and bad. Good because you can get more power and mpg in a smaller engine, but bad because you have more electronics you have to deal with that can go wrong. An employee here has a Tesla Model S, it was making a funny sound and water was leaking from the back area. I took a pic and told him, he told me the screen failed and now he cannot turn off the AC, open the windows etc. Until he gets it fixed the car stays a constant 65 degrees, and he told me if I wanted to steal his car this would be the best time because until it's fixed, anyone can get into it and drive off!

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
I know I said I wasn't going to part with my Si, but now I officially am. Over the weekend a friend of mine who lives in Southern California drove down his 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport for me to test drive. It is fully loaded, no accidents, he is the only owner and it only has 52K miles on it (well, now almost 53K). It is in prime condition and looks like it came out of the showroom. It has a silky smooth 3.5 L 306 hp with 277 torque V6, and this thing hauls. It is so damn comfortable, and it is fun to drive. Turning off traction control I was able to get the rear to slide. At $18,500, I could not turn it down (he paid $38 when he bought it). It's been well maintained, and at 52K, that is still preteen in Toyota/Lexus years.
I would do the same thing for that price and condition. The IS 350 is 100x a better car than the Civic. I almost got an IS200t instead but the dealer jacked me around so I went to the Honda to look at Sis... with my awful audio system, I kinda wish I'd looked harder at the Lexuses.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would do the same thing for that price and condition. The IS 350 is 100x a better car than the Civic. I almost got an IS200t instead but the dealer jacked me around so I went to the Honda to look at Sis... with my awful audio system, I kinda wish I'd looked harder at the Lexuses.
I don't want to knock the Si, it's a great car, one of the best in it's class. Honda is raising prices either because of Trump's tariffs or it's becoming more popular. I had a great run with it over the year, it really took a beating and never complained. I just needed to get into something more comfortable and suitable for me.

Lexus is one of those cars where they really don't negotiate on price. I could afford a new one, especially selling my Si and paying the balance down, but I would still owe another at least $20k, so it's better to buy an older used one

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For what you paid sure. You made a smart move but i think long term you'll feel like the Lexus has little personality/ get aggravated at the problems you expected not to have.

60k is 822.00$
90k is 975.00
110k is 1400.00$

Tires are 1300.00$ every 15k roughly
Headlight bulbs are 400.00
Rattles drive these owners crazy so be prepared for that.

Just for informational purposes.
Hope you do your own maintenance.

I think id rather have an Acura.
Actually the price of tires is not that bad, pretty much the same as the Si's for BFGoodRich. I have been using BFGoodRich tires for years on all my cars. 45K warranty. I buy from Costco, in the past when tires have prematurely worn they have replaced them no questions asked. Summer tires are only a few dollars more

Honda Civic 10th gen It's now officially official BFGoodRich Front.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen It's now officially official BFGoodRich Rear.JPG

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They absolutely do.
Not here in Silicon valley. Below is the pricing for a 2019 IS 350 thru the Costco auto program. Your set price is going to be somewhere between invoice and MSRP. You might get lucky and come out at $40K (before destination charges)

Honda Civic 10th gen It's now officially official IS350_Costco.JPG

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can totally see you in a CTR in a few years if the right deal presents itself. Or a pre-owned 2-seater ragtop at the right price. Some (not all) men go thru mid-life "event" that propels them to seek out objects that can remind them of their younger selves, not speaking from experience of course. Drive on and have a blast :)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can totally see you in a CTR in a few years if the right deal presents itself. Or a pre-owned 2-seater ragtop at the right price. Some (not all) men go thru mid-life "event" that propels them to seek out objects that can remind them of their younger selves, not speaking from experience of course. Drive on and have a blast :)
I already went through one around 2010, it didn't involve a car, but a woman half my age. Almost killed my marriage. Nah, I work for a start up in Silicone valley, I see too many 70 or 80 year old millionaires driving around in cars almost the same price as my house, no thanks. But yeah, you are right that one day if I see a used CTR priced just right, who knows...

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Not here in Silicon valley. Below is the pricing for a 2019 IS 350 thru the Costco auto program. Your set price is going to be somewhere between invoice and MSRP. You might get lucky and come out at $40K (before destination charges)

IS350_Costco.JPG
The Costco price is around 1.5-2K under invoice on an IS350.

*Edit- For all intents and purposes, invoice is a made up number.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag

I picked up my 15 Si with a 5 yr finance. A couple months later the 10thgen Civic came out. Then the Si which was much nicer. By 3 yrs the car had 83k and I was pretty much done with it. I traded it in for an RSX-S and the loan was paid off by the dealer. A year later the S had a lot of little problems that all added up $$. With over 100k now I decided it was time to part ways. I had my fun. I decided to go lease this time @15k.

- I'm not strapped down to this car for the next 5
- My payments are less
- I can buy the car for 13k after 3 yrs if I choose (under book value in my est)
- If the 11thgen is dope af I have the option to trade this bad boy in for another new car with virtually no money out of my pockets
- I no longer have to deal with the problems of an older car
- My gas expenses are much less softening the blow of having a payment

Financing is great too. This time I wanted to try something different. So far it's going well!
Sponsored

Last edited: