It’s a drivers car. But is it also a passengers’car?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
The Si is wonderful machine to drive. So much fun. In fact, I look forward to driving it every opportunity I have. But my mother absolutely hates being driven in it. Too sporty for her. She’s used to comfy automatics all her life along with sitting higher up in her suv. I think it’s the torque and stiff suspension in the Si that irritates her, along with the sometimes unsmooth 1st to 2nd shift...hey I try. I tell her the car is legendary and wins so much praise from auto reviewers and publications, and wouldn’t earn this praise if the Si was a terrible riding car...but whatever...she doesn’t get it.
Others I sometimes drive have no complaints, but I feel I’m having more fun than them.
Does anyone else have unhappy or indifferent passengers while driving them in your Si’s?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vader_Si

First Name
Ryota Watanabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si is wonderful machine to drive. So much fun. I fact, I look forward to driving it every opportunity I have. But my mother absolutely hates being driven in it. Too sporty for her. She’s used to comfy automatics all her life along with sitting higher up in her suv. I think it’s the torque and stiff suspension in the Si that irritates her, along with the sometimes unsmooth 1st to 2nd shift...hey I try. I tell her the car is legendary and wins so much praise from auto reviewers and publications, and wouldn’t earn this praise if the Si was a terrible riding car...but whatever...she doesn’t get it.
Others I sometimes drive have no complaints, but I feel I’m having more fun than them.
Does anyone else have unhappy or indifferent passengers while driving them in your Si’s?
Lol this is too relatable.. when I get my mom and my sister in my car they hate the manual feeling. Even if I shift perfect they be like its too rough. Whenever I get my friends in my car, they love it. I think for girls who're not into cars won't like it much and wouldn't understand the point of driving a manual.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife and kids are the usual passengers. My kids love it. My wife says the Si is nicer than her 2017 Forester. But no matter how smoothly I shift, I always see her whole head move forward at each shift. She never complains, but who knows.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
yeah i often let my girl drive the SI and i have no problem sitting in the passenger seat, that is until she does something i wouldnt approve of.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Kids love it. My Dad likes it. My mom - not so much. Wife - drives it and tolerates it, but finds it a bit too sporty (stiff) to use all the time.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Short answer, depends on the passenger.

Longer answer, my wife has driven in it twice in the 11 months I've owned it. I pick up one or both of my kids every day. They don't complain. Only one of them talks though. The car is for me and I like it. Any time I have driven someone who I would say doesn't really care about cars as anything more than a way to get from A to B they either don't care or actively dislike it (but that may also be the "let me show you what this can do" thing that I might do for someone riding for the first time). And, yeah, most Americans have no experience with, or appreciation for, a manual transmission car. That is how we got CVTs ...

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
My kids love it and tell me to go faster and race every car that has a spoiler. My wife does not like riding with me as much. I feel like some people are not good passengers. My dad had a Z06 when I was young and I didn't just flop around the car like a rag doll on every shift or tight turn. I used my core to go with the ride. My wife moves around in the car each shift, even when I am as smooth as I can possibly be. If people are more practical then they more than likely will be a pill in the passenger seat. Some people are just too practical with their transportation. If I am going to be driving all around creation, I am going to have something that looks good and drives fun.

MIKROMO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan, 2017 Subaru Forester
Country flag
When I came home with the red SI, my wife said the car was too flamboyant for an "old man" (I'm 67). While she did get used to the looks, and now say's she likes the way it looks, for the most part, she'd rather we take her 2017 Forester when we go somewhere together. She claims I drive too aggressively in the SI. I try to deny it, but my recent ticket for 86 in a 65 zone ($375.00 to my lawyer) kind of proves her point. What ever.... I just wanted something fun to drive with decent gas mileage, and I feel that I got it. Seen many an "old man" driving Vettes and other high dollar sports cars, but I LOVE my Civic, and it drives and handles just like I want.....all while maintaining 30+mpg. When I really NEED to go fast, I hop on my "other" Honda, a VFR Interceptor sportbike (V4, 110HP, 490 lbs....gear driven cams!) which scratches THAT itch quite well.

type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
women dont get it. I told one i had a manual and her response was "what? its 2018, why do you still have a manual?"

Honda Civic 10th gen It’s a drivers car. But is it also a passengers’car? tenor

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
women dont get it. I told one i had a manual and her response was "what? its 2018, why do you still have a manual?"
Nothing to do with "women"... I know a bunch of women who had driven manuals since they were kids and don't mind it still, and I know a bunch of guys who'd never buy one.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
Nothing to do with "women"... I know a bunch of women who had driven manuals since they were kids and don't mind it still, and I know a bunch of guys who'd never buy one.
Agreed, all 3 of my sisters can drive a manual.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed, all 3 of my sisters can drive a manual.
There are at least two lady-driven Si's that I see pretty frequently near me. There is also a woman that drives a CTS-V wagon that I see on my morning commute nearly every day. Probably not a manual (what, did GM make like 11 of those), but still pretty awesome. I hope to teach my girls to drive manual ... hopefully they are still making them by that time.

tenor.gif
This is also what every sales guy at every dealership tells me when I go to look at cars. "The auto is quicker." No thanks.:drive:

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
the fact if the matter is that cvt and new autos are TONS smoother than a manual, no matter how much you are willing to wear your clutch.

Passengers are passengers... they don't care about your driving feel. I drive manual, and even I prefer to be a passenger in an auto. manual isn't some super magical difficult to use tool that makes you superior. it's great for driving on a track, but it has drawbacks.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
There are at least two lady-driven Si's that I see pretty frequently near me. There is also a woman that drives a CTS-V wagon that I see on my morning commute nearly every day. Probably not a manual (what, did GM make like 11 of those), but still pretty awesome. I hope to teach my girls to drive manual ... hopefully they are still making them by that time.

This is also what every sales guy at every dealership tells me when I go to look at cars. "The auto is quicker." No thanks.:drive:
I get annoyed when people in automatics race me on the road. Mostly BMW boys like to grin at me if they get ahead. I dont see the pride. All you do is put your foot harder on the gas than usual. :rolleyes1: What fun is that?

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
Definitely. In my generation, many of us grew up driving manuals, including the ladies, and some still prefer it. I taught my wife on our 1995 Jetta GLX when it was brand new, and while she didn't like it initially, I think she now prefers it. Or, at least she prefers driving our 6MT TSX over our automatic Ford Fusion, but I guess that could be for other reasons.
Sponsored