Issues with Radar/ACC/CMBS sensor

cool1net6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
'16 Civic Touring

I was in a car accident a few months ago that took out the front driver-side of my car. The collision was relatively low speed so I was able to get the car repaired. I chose a dealer-backed auto repair shop as I wanted to make sure the car tech was correctly installed. However, I'm still having an issue with the ACC radar sensor.

To put it simply, the radar is 'off'. It's like it's seeing the car in the next lane over (passenger). It constantly has issues keeping a 'lock' on cars. There have been multiple times where, in a straight line, the sensor doesn't detect the car in front of me until I'm well within the radar and braking range, when it then brakes hard and backs off until it 'loses' the car again and repeats. I've even had it diligently follow cars in the passenger lane as the car in front of me pulls away.

I took the car back to the shop and told them the issue. They had a dealer tech check the calibration and do a short test drive. They said there is no issue and nothing to re-calibrate. But the radar is still off; it's like it needs to be adjusted just slightly to the left so it can actually hold MY lane. It's most noticeable during highway driving and I'm factoring in things like curves and inclement weather; this happens on dry, clear days on straight roads.

I don't know what to do to fix this. I wish I could putz around with it myself to fix it but I don't know if that's a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?
Sponsored

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work with body shops alot in my job and just about every body shop has life time warranty on work. Try talking to the dealer and see if they can help you get it fixed via honda warranty if not say you reccomend this body shop.. can't you help get the parts replaced. You gotta keep at it. Obviously its not working. Have them go with you on a test drive to show them the issue.

Make sure you keep copies of all your paper work

OP
OP

cool1net6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the tips. The shop did have a warranty on the parts but they were the first people I tried. I took your advice and went back explaining the problem. They are running some tests and hopefully they can fix the issue.

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the tips. The shop did have a warranty on the parts but they were the first people I tried. I took your advice and went back explaining the problem. They are running some tests and hopefully they can fix the issue.
If the dealer still refuses, try going to the body shop and ask them to test drive with you to show the problem. Good luck!
Sponsored