Issues with 2017 civic (just purchased)

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I am new to this forum. So please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post.

I just recently got this car back in July 2019.The car only has 35,000KM on it and drives pretty damn well. I just have a few issues that I have been dealing with that are rather annoying. I was hoping to get some advice or feedback.

1. Rattling sound in the dash somewhere, I notice it when sitting at idle. It could be there during drive but I am too busy paying attention to the road. (Took it in for this, they ignored it)
2. Drivers seat vibrates (Took it in for this, they said it was normal...)
3. The AC/HEAT makes a whistling sound sometimes when on.
4. My windows always, always, always fog up. All summer, and worse now when its cold. I have no clue why. It mostly happens at night.
5. Sometimes when I start the car, the coolant temp guage does not work. If I restart the car the line shows up and moves normally (only saw this happen once).

I hope I can get some advice from you guys. And once again, I am really sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

Thanks.
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Sounds like you have a couple of different problems. The shaking seat is unusual, but might be related to your rattle. You could have either a broken motor mount or someone installed a stiff Rear Motor Mount on you car. Stiffer Rear Motor Mounts are popular here (I have one).

OP
OP

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Sounds like you have a couple of different problems. The shaking seat is unusual, but might be related to your rattle. You could have either a broken motor mount or someone installed a stiff Rear Motor Mount on you car. Stiffer Rear Motor Mounts are popular here (I have one).
As far as I know, the car was a completely stock EX 4 door. I purchased it from the Honda Dealership. When I took it in, they said the shaking seat was normal as they sat inside the other 2017's and said it had the same issue.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
1. Normal
2. Normal
3. Normal
4. Normal
5. Idk, it does take a while to warm up before the update. After the update, it’s really quick.

OP
OP

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
1. Normal
2. Normal
3. Normal
4. Normal
5. Idk, it does take a while to warm up before the update. After the update, it’s really quick.
So the windshield fogging up all the time is normal?

Also, what do you mean by the update? Forgive me I am new to all this. The issue I had was the line that goes up or down depending on the temp did not even show up in the gauge. It was like it didn't even "load in". After restarting the car the line appeared and went up as normal.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I am new to this forum. So please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post.

I just recently got this car back in July 2019.The car only has 35,000KM on it and drives pretty damn well. I just have a few issues that I have been dealing with that are rather annoying. I was hoping to get some advice or feedback.

1. Rattling sound in the dash somewhere, I notice it when sitting at idle. It could be there during drive but I am too busy paying attention to the road. (Took it in for this, they ignored it)
2. Drivers seat vibrates (Took it in for this, they said it was normal...)
3. The AC/HEAT makes a whistling sound sometimes when on.
4. My windows always, always, always fog up. All summer, and worse now when its cold. I have no clue why. It mostly happens at night.
5. Sometimes when I start the car, the coolant temp guage does not work. If I restart the car the line shows up and moves normally (only saw this happen once).

I hope I can get some advice from you guys. And once again, I am really sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

Thanks.
1. Normal
2. I personally have not noticed this but i know some people who have this issue
3. Normal when the A/C is running. Should not whistle when the AC is off
4. Not experienced it during the summer, happens during the winter a fair bit
5. Does this happen when you first start the car or is the engine warm when the gauge does not work?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
3.) Search for the 'whistling ac' noise in the AC Condenser threads. Some folks have mentioned that as a symptom of a leaking condenser (which is now covered under a new warranty by Honda)

4.) Fogged windows on the inside is a humidity issue, so far as I know. Make sure the button for outside/inside air source is set properly. AC will remove water vapor. But many folks have been confused by the automatic temp control mode. Check the Manuel to make sure you have a firm grasp of what it actually does versus what it seems like it does.

5.) When I read this initially; I couldn't tell if your gauge was faulty or just that the temp had not come up as fast as you expected. It should show up with all the other cluster lights when the key/button is in the 'on' position (not running). I'd watch it during the day just to be sure. But I wouldn't judge it by its behavior when the engine is cold.

These are just my thoughts. I'm not a mechanic. Good luck.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Try cleaning you windshield inside. Dust usually attract moist hence fog ups. Squeaky clean inside windshield will definitely clear that fog.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
3- Check cabin air filter
4- Because too much moisture inside the car.

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
Does the “whistle” sound like a noise you’d hear coming from a beater?

My ‘17 LX does that.

SiFever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door MT
Country flag

Also, what do you mean by the update? Forgive me I am new to all this. The issue I had was the line that goes up or down depending on the temp did not even show up in the gauge. It was like it didn't even "load in". After restarting the car the line appeared and went up as normal.
The stock chipset is pretty weak, sometimes the software does not load. As you noticed, sometimes a reboot is in order.

Oh, wait this is your CAR, I thought I was diagnosing your LAPTOP.... smh :p

PS: as far as software updates are concerned, the head unit is Android, and there are / can be updates for it, there might be one for your car. Wish I could tell you more, but I am not sure where to look, still kinda new to modern Civics myself.

JCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag

I think he/she is referring to the 1.5T dilution update, which shouldn't apply to you because you have an EX with the 2.0L. I have the EX 2.0L as well and my temp gauge does the same thing, upon a cold start only. It takes a few but once your engine warms up you'll start to see the gauge needle fade in from the bottom.
Sponsored