Issues installing K&N intake and reverting to OEM

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I recently bought a K&N 63-3516 intake for my '17 Civic 6MT hatch Sport Touring (Canada) and tried installing the intake. I got hung up when it was time to remove the stock air element box from the resonator. I was afraid of pulling too hard but, can the air element box be safely pulled off of the bottom resonator box? And then when time to reinstall the OEM parts, is it easy to reinstall the air element box on top of the resonator box? I'm hoping to be able to do these things without having to pull liners to remove the resonator box.

There's a YouTube video out there where the guy just pulls the resonator and top airbox apart without tools; but then i wonder how easily the two parts will go back together again. Skip to about 8:25.

Thanks.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You have to pull fairly hard to get it off the resonator, it's really stuck on there. You can revert to stock easily enough, it pushes back on with a little force.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are there any issues of the resonator rattling around down there if it's left in without the top air box? If so, can it simply be secured with, say, zip ties?

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well i answered my own question above and was able to securely zip tie the resonator box down, and I was also successful installing the K&N intake! One thing I did notice and would like to ask is, why does it now seem like there is less turbo boost in first and second gears, and more boost now in the higher gears? Is it because there is now less engine load in the lower gears as the engine can now breathe better with the new short ram intake?

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, after all that time and work to install the K&N intake, I ended up reverting back to stock a few days later. I didn't have any issues at all doing so, it was a lot faster to do than the install of the K&N intake. I didn't experience the performance gains as advertised. If anything, my car actually felt slower with the new intake. Furthermore, the lack of a resonator was actually uncomfortable to my ears. Honda knows best!
Sponsored