First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
Is this sound normal?

Happens at low speed when accelerating. Is this the turbo or cvt sound? Car runs normal.

Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Which sound? The light, higher-pitcher ‘whirr’ that only happens for a second or two? It sounds like turbo whine, but I don’t hear it in my car.

OP
OP

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
Which sound? The light, higher-pitcher ‘whirr’ that only happens for a second or two? It sounds like turbo whine, but I don’t hear it in my car.
Yes, that's the sound! I never had a turbo or a cvt car so I don't know what's normal.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's from the turbo or the cvt and if that noise is a problem or not.

I took another video this morning with less cars around so it should be easier to hear.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Yes, that's the sound! I never had a turbo or a cvt car so I don't know what's normal.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's from the turbo or the cvt and if that noise is a problem or not.

I took another video this morning with less cars around so it should be easier to hear.

I believe that's your turn signal making that noise :D just kidding

does it sound like 4:45 in this video?

OP
OP

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
I believe that's your turn signal making that noise :D just kidding

does it sound like 4:45 in this video?
A quieter version sound is present when I'm going faster, like 35+. If I'm going slower it's a lower pitch whistle. I had the car 1 year and I just heard this new sound so it's kind of bothering me.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
well, I can't really hear much in your videos, I was pretty sure it was your turbo, but after your last comment, perhaps not.

OP
OP

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
well, I can't really hear much in your videos, I was pretty sure it was your turbo, but after your last comment, perhaps not.
I put the car in park/neutral and gave it a little gas to hear the turbo spin a little bit and it makes a different sound than what I'm hearing. Maybe it's the CVT.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's a good test. This is my first car with a CVT, I couldn't tell you what to expect as far as what's normal. How many miles do you have? I did read on here that these cars get transmission fluid "changes" more frequently than my previous hondas.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it sounds like belt whining, kinda like a supercharger it's the CVT. if its a turbine sound its the turbo.

OP
OP

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
If it sounds like belt whining, kinda like a supercharger it's the CVT. if its a turbine sound its the turbo.
Would the CVT sound change pitch depending on how fast you're going? The sound I'm hearing is lower pitched and then it gets higher the faster you're going.

OP
OP

Tomyabo225

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT
Country flag
That's a good test. This is my first car with a CVT, I couldn't tell you what to expect as far as what's normal. How many miles do you have? I did read on here that these cars get transmission fluid "changes" more frequently than my previous hondas.
They do get changed more. I just did mine at 30k.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would the CVT sound change pitch depending on how fast you're going? The sound I'm hearing is lower pitched and then it gets higher the faster you're going.
Absolutely. Its a belt whine sound, not a turbo charge / airy sound.