Is this the Worst Roll Out Ever?

Boba Debt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed, 2017 WRX STi
Country flag
I don't follow limited edition car roll outs so I don't know what to think about all of this.

Could it have been done differently?

Have other manufacturers done it better?

All of this has me re-thinking my selection and I might just go back to the WRX STI
Sponsored

Toshy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota GT86, Subaru WRX
I don't follow limited edition car roll outs so I don't know what to think about all of this.

All of this has me re-thinking my selection and I might just go back to the WRX STI
It's not limited edition. No doubt, a lot of hype being pushed by Honda and releasing information in dribs and drabs.

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
It is a good question. It's been relatively simple here in the UK (so far at least) and I'm not really expecting any problems so I can't complain, but I did wonder whether it was as bad for other cars in the US as it seems to be there for the CTR, as it's horrifying some of the things people have had to deal with.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What makes it hard is that the only performance review we have is the Nurburgring lap. We can take away info from the FK2, because it uses the same engine, but the FK8 is an upgraded beast. The lack of information is purposeful to get people hyped. I was finding out new info from this forum before the dealership was. That's what is somewhat concerning to me, but I am already planning on getting one.

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
What makes it hard is that the only performance review we have is the Nurburgring lap. We can take away info from the FK2, because it uses the same engine, but the FK8 is an upgraded beast. The lack of information is purposeful to get people hyped. I was finding out new info from this forum before the dealership was. That's what is somewhat concerning to me, but I am already planning on getting one.
Yes I've said before that we are taking a lot on trust trying to buy a car that nobody independent has reviewed yet! It would screw things up big time if the first reviews are all really negative. I don't think for a second that's going to happen, but I guess you can never say never till the embargo is lifted.

Toshy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota GT86, Subaru WRX
The same thing happened with the launch of the Toyota 86. Given the FK2 got some great reviews, and we know that the FK8 is superior in almost every way, i'm not too concerned.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The same thing happened with the launch of the Toyota 86. Given the FK2 got some great reviews, and we know that the FK8 is superior in almost every way, i'm not too concerned.
I stopped paying attention to the FRS/BRZ pretty quick after launch because I felt they were pretty lackluster. What was your opinion of the Toyota 86? Isn't the Toyota 86 just a rebrand?

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag

Yeah, performance or not they could have organized press drive tests from 1-2 months ago. Lots of manufacturers(even high end ones) do this few months before the first car even makes it to show rooms and is available to order. This if you value/respect your customers. Allowing them to plan their purchase. Car purchasing is not like buying a pair of shoes from one day to the other.
WRX-should have a new model in 2-3 years, I guess they are forced to raise the bar. This launch got me also re-thinking and checking out other cars. Even going 10-20 k up and you def have other options(Corvette there that is popular). Do other more expensive alternatives worth? It depends on what each looks for.

Yes I've said before that we are taking a lot on trust trying to buy a car that nobody independent has reviewed yet! It would screw things up big time if the first reviews are all really negative. I don't think for a second that's going to happen, but I guess you can never say never till the embargo is lifted.
This is the main thing that prevents me from blindly committing to buy one - reviews(press/users). But hey they delay releasing info, I'll delay my purchase. They'll get my money much later at the best.

FK8 has an edge in theory but how much really is to be seen. I am more interested in handling, ambiance, not necessarily raw power.
Long time reviews are needed to see if occasional reliability issues(oil consumption in some engines / gear selection issues) were solved and others came up.
I am almost sure when FK8 Type R gets into the wild, after some months, this everybody wants one frenzy will cool down.

I stopped paying attention to the FRS/BRZ pretty quick after launch because I felt they were pretty lackluster. What was your opinion of the Toyota 86? Isn't the Toyota 86 just a rebrand?
I did not follow it pre launch but after it came out it proved not so "from outtta space" like people were expecting. Not that desirable in the real life.
Maybe Honda were afraid that once giving up information / people start assessing it in the wild, this magic aura would vanish.

Last edited:

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, performance or not they could have organized press drive tests from 1-2 months ago. Lots of manufacturers(even high end ones) do this few months before the first car even makes it to show rooms and is available to order. This if you value/respect your customers. Allowing them to plan their purchase. Car purchasing is not like buying a pair of shoes from one day to the other.
WRX-should have a new model in 2-3 years, I guess they are forced to raise the bar. This launch got me also re-thinking and checking out other cars. Even going 10-20 k up and you def have other options(Corvette there that is popular). Do other more expensive alternatives worth? It depends on what each looks for.

This is the main thing that prevents me from blindly committing to buy one - reviews(press/users). But hey they delay releasing info, I'll delay my purchase. They'll get my money much later at the best.

FK8 has an edge in theory but how much really is to be seen. I am more interested in handling, ambiance, not necessarily raw power.
Long time reviews are needed to see if occasional reliability issues(oil consumption in some engines / gear selection issues) were solved and others came up.
I am almost sure when FK8 Type R gets into the wild, after some months, this everybody wants one frenzy will cool down.
This will be my first sports/performance car, and even though I hope to take it to the track one day, I just want something fun as hell to drive. I'll be coming from a V6 Accord, which I really enjoy, but I really believe that regardless of not seeing any reviews beforehand I will really enjoy the FK8. In a way it's an advantage to me that the FK8 will be my first sports car so I don't really have anything to base it on like all the other Honda/Car gurus in here. :)
Sponsored