First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
I own 2019 honda civic sedan sport

will it be a stupid choice to trade in my car (tradein value $15000, i bought this $20500)

and get 2017 honda civic HATCHBACK SPORT TOURING? ($20000)
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

will it be a stupid choice to trade in my car (tradein value $15000, i bought this $20500)

Drive a new car for minimum 3 years before switching cars due to unfavorable depreciation.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Financially, everyone will tell you it's not a smart move. But, if you're unhappy with your current car and you feel like the ST hatch will make you happy, why not? It's your life and your money.

In summary:

Financially - :thumbsdown:
Emotionally - :thumbsup:

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
If money is not a problem, why not .

If money is a problem, it is a stupid choice

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check Carmax or sell it on your own. You’re still gonna take a loss but maybe only be out a couple grand. Then see if you can negotiate another $1000 off the ST hatch. Good luck.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The dealer who gets your trade-in will definitely support your choice and won't complain.:thumbsup:

And you will have a chance to support your local dealer. If they go extinct we will all be forced to order cars online with a waiting period. I say: go for it. Money doesn't get wasted here - it only changes hands. The wrong decision was to buy the wrong car and you can't undo it without spending some money and/or effort.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes.

Have you taken the time to know what your car’s value is vs theirs? Do you know whether it’s a good deal?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The dealer who gets your trade-in will definitely support your choice and won't complain.:thumbsup:

And you will have a chance to support your local dealer. If they go extinct we will all be forced to order cars online with a waiting period. I say: go for it. Money doesn't get wasted here - it only changes hands. The wrong decision was to buy the wrong car and you can't undo it without spending some money and/or effort.
I remember when people used to say that patience was a virtue...

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you still owe money on the sedan sport then no it's not a good idea

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Losing 5 GRAND to get an OLDER MODEL YEAR and getting a higher monthly payment (assuming financed), YES that would be dumb.

B3B31011

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Of you dont mind paying 100-120 extra a month, that's about how much more those 5 grand will make your payment go up, its not a good idea, but it's your choice you know your financial situation

jorus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag

That really depends on your financial situation. You'll be losing a chunk of money, but if that's a 'lot' all depends on you. See this post I made from another thread...

It might be useful for you to play around with a loan calculator - I did a quick Google and found an example of two:

This one is for Google Docs: https://sites.google.com/site/sprea...ial-sheets/mortgage-amortization-with-paydown

And this one has a spreadsheet you can download: https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/loan-amortization-schedule.html

(Please note that I just found these links, I didn't make them or have anything to do with them, I don't guarantee anything etc.)

You can also find your own if you want, try searching for something like "Loan Amortization Schedule with Extra Payments" or "Loan Calculator with Extra Payments".

What I like about these two calculators is that it shows you the lifetime of your loan, how much you'll pay in interest, and what the benefits are of making payments to the principal of the loan. It might surprise you how much money you can save by paying off a loan early. You can also play around with loan rates, and see just how big a deal getting a good rate is!
You might have some luck playing around with these calculators to see if you can afford it!
Sponsored