Is this a slipping clutch? What is my next move?

tapakidney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Good evening all. It’s been a great 15k miles so far. Used Ktuner for a mild tune at about 6k.

The clutch has been slipping more and more... I think. Can anyone confirm that the below description is definitely a slipping clutch, please?

In any gear, 4 or above, if I punch it, even at 3000+RPM, the engine revs up as expected, but the acceleration/ power output doesn’t do much, and seems to need to “catch up”.

If this is a slipping clutch, should I bother complaining to my dealer to see if they’ll do anything? Is there a snowball’s chance I could get an upgraded clutch under factory warranty? Do I definitely need to UNFLASH before taking it in for this?

Should I upgrade my clutch now, or wait till it wears out more, to...get more value from my factory one? Is there a risk in using the weak clutch longer?

Thank you for answering any or all of my questions!
Sponsored

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
It is definitely slipping, and should be replaced with a stronger clutch ASAP. Much heat and friction is produced upon the flywheel whenever it's slipping, and the power cannot be transmitted to the wheels as required... Not worth all the trouble and risk trying to get a replacement OEM clutch which will start slipping right away again under all the torque you're producing.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
How do you drive to ruin clutch after 15k ?

All my last 3 cars with MT never need a new clutch and I sell those car with more than 150K

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag

All my last 3 cars with MT never need a new clutch and I sell those car with more than 150K
A tune man....most are going through clutches anywhere from 1k-20k miles. Torque is over what they can handle.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP

tapakidney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Lol, why even comment if you have no idea what discussion you’re getting into?

OP
OP

tapakidney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
FX100: 08150-HD00-R

Heavy duty pressure plate. Steel-backed organic lined disc. Rigid disc. Will work with factory OEM Dual-mass flywheel.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/2017-2017-1-5l-turbo-ex-si/

Replacement clutch kits for Civic 1.5T are still rare and quite overpriced... Here are the lowest prices yet on Clutchmasters.

https://www.prayoontoracing.com/product-page/16-18-civic-1-5-turbo-fx100
Thanks so much! So, have I potentially damaged my flywheel by driving with a slipping clutch, or is that not a thing? Sorry, I don’t know a lot about this, still learning. Are you saying my problem could be solved by installing just the aftermarket disc?

And a clutch kit consists of disc AND flywheel, I assume? A stronger clutch is what handles that extra torque, right? What’s the advantage or reason for upgrading the flywheel?

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your flywheel should be perfectly fine. The OEM clutch is just too weak to keep itself from slipping... I'm saying you need a new stronger clutch kit which consists of the clutch disc, and the pressure plate, along with a release bearing. Be sure to order one of the clutch kits which "Will work with factory Dual-mass flywheel". You do not have to replace your flywheel.

The extra clamping force is provided by the stronger pressure plate. The clutch disc gets squeezed between pressure plate and flywheel upon engagement. The middle friction 'clutch disc' includes the damper springs which are tuned to absorb the loads.

Last edited:

glossyprimerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatch MT Sonic Gray
Country flag
My clutch held great with PRL Front/Downpipe Combo and a custom Tune from Vit. If all you’re running is the tuner, I’m frankly surprised you’re slipping. I now have additional mods and have since upgraded to FX350, but the stock clutch is not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

If it were me and you aren’t planning on doing additional mods anytime soon. Flash back to stock and take it to the dealer, there is no harm in trying to get them to do it and it is possible your clutch is faulty. (Parts fail all the time)

These are my opinions and I don’t want to argue with anyone, I’m speaking from experience and giving the OP my two cents.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My clutch held great with PRL Front/Downpipe Combo and a custom Tune from Vit. If all you’re running is the tuner, I’m frankly surprised you’re slipping. I now have additional mods and have since upgraded to FX350, but the stock clutch is not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

If it were me and you aren’t planning on doing additional mods anytime soon. Flash back to stock and take it to the dealer, there is no harm in trying to get them to do it and it is possible your clutch is faulty. (Parts fail all the time)

These are my opinions and I don’t want to argue with anyone, I’m speaking from experience and giving the OP my two cents.
How do you like your FX350 ? Was it a bit overkill? Would the FX100 be sufficient for such a tune?

glossyprimerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatch MT Sonic Gray
Country flag
How do you like your FX350 ? Was it a bit overkill? Would the FX100 be sufficient for such a tune?
For me, I need it. Downpipe, front pipe, flex converter, cobra CAI, and custom tune with Derek at IMW.

As for my opinion of the clutch, it holds great, but it is the first puck style clutch I’ve had that shudders. It was worse when first done, after 600 miles, it’s much better. You just have to change the way you use the clutch. Either in or out, no in between.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
if a clutch replacement is not in the cards just yet then look up boost by gear. bbg. you can limit power in thos spots where it slips to stretch the life of the stock clutch with ktuner.

mine was slipping till i did that. i will replace my clutch in the spring after snow goes away.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

KTuner + TSP Stage 2 + E40 Blend + PRL Cobra CAI = Slipping Clutch @ 9500 Miles.

270whp / 327tq vs 205hp / 192tq (stock)

Honda Civic 10th gen Is this a slipping clutch?  What is my next move? elementary-my-dear-watso

For me, I need it. Downpipe, front pipe, flex converter, cobra CAI, and custom tune with Derek at IMW.

As for my opinion of the clutch, it holds great, but it is the first puck style clutch I’ve had that shudders. It was worse when first done, after 600 miles, it’s much better. You just have to change the way you use the clutch. Either in or out, no in between.
Do you still have the delay valve in?

Last edited: