Is theft a concern for you?

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Some may or may not know, but the theft rate of the Integra R was insane in the mid-2000 time frame. Other Honda's were hot items for those who thought the 5 finger discount was best, but it seems the higher end or modified Honda's were the main targets. You could hop on the forum at practically any given time and find a new thread 'car xxxxx gone' or 'I thought it was safe but nope'. Or the classic 'they found my carR and it isn't pretty' thread.

I owned my 2014 Si for exactly 1 year and had attempted theft twice, and the car was broken into but not taken or attempted theft once. And the pathetic part is that the thefts were attempted in plain sight, in crowded parking lots.

I am a fairly loyal Honda person, owned many various Honda's including 2 ITR's when living in Japan. I even have a Honda power washer for my house. That said, I am somewhat concerned about the theft rate of the CTR once it hits the shores of the US. Though I am certain theft happens within other vehicle makes, I don't see it nearly as often as we do within the Honda community.

Is this something you are concerned about?
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope. Take some pictures, keep important receipts and properly insure it. Too many life things to worry about other than a car. Believe me, I love my car but it can be replaced.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Intergra Type R, Civic Type R, Civic Si, all hot models. If you own a non performance Civic, no one's gonna give a shit. Thats what insurance is for anyway...

OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Believe me, I love my car but it can be replaced.
I loved my car too, but after the second attempted theft and because I loved my car, it became difficult to sleep at night. This is why I second guessing putting myself into the same situation again.

"It has insurance and it can be replaced" is a pretty null point to an enthusiast.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I loved my car too, but after the second attempted theft and because I loved my car, it became difficult to sleep at night. This is why I second guessing putting myself into the same situation again.

"It has insurance and it can be replaced" is a pretty null point to an enthusiast.
You're right, it is a null point to enthusiasts who have special, performance or limited editions of their vehicles. But CdnColin and I drive regular Civics, so even if we are enthusiastic about cars, we acknowledge that we drive (nice) appliances and that there's another one coming off the production line every 30 seconds. So objectively, yes it can be replaced.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I know how you feel. I had two stolen Hondas in the past. Along with couple incidents of stolen parts and wheels. Most people wouldn't know the feeling until they experienced it. Everyone has insurance but the feeling you get when you come out to see a missing car from a restaurant, event, vacation, or even outside your own home It's indescribable. You're pretty much violated. They have your personal belongings and all your personal information from your registration. Previous gen Hondas were mostly stolen by using a shaved key. With no key hole it's a little harder and requires a more skilled theive. Part of owning one of the most popular cars is that you are a target. With so much stuff tied into the stock keyfob sometime it's a hassle putting on an aftermarket alarm but I highly recommend installing a shock sensor or even a tilt sensor to the factory alarm. With stock alarms you can smash a window or get your car sitting on bricks without a sound coming out your car.

axreyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Accord LX MT, 2012 Mazda CX-9, 2016 Honda Accord LX MT
Checking my insurance an LX will cost me $100 per year more than a Mazda 2.0L. The Civic LX would cost me almost $250 a year more than a Golf Sportwagen. So my insurance company seems to think the Civic is a higher theft risk.

OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I know how you feel. I had two stolen Hondas in the past. Along with couple incidents of stolen parts and wheels. Most people wouldn't know the feeling until they experienced it. Everyone has insurance but the feeling you get when you come out to see a missing car from a restaurant, event, vacation, or even outside your own home It's indescribable. You're pretty much violated. They have your personal belongings and all your personal information from your registration. Previous gen Hondas were mostly stolen by using a shaved key. With no key hole it's a little harder and requires a more skilled theive. Part of owning one of the most popular cars is that you are a target. With so much stuff tied into the stock keyfob sometime it's a hassle putting on an aftermarket alarm but I highly recommend installing a shock sensor or even a tilt sensor to the factory alarm. With stock alarms you can smash a window or get your car sitting on bricks without a sound coming out your car.
This pretty much sums it up.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The Civic Type R will undoubtedly draw attention from many. Honda Civics and Accords have led the insurance industry for years as some of the most stolen vehicles in America. It was said earlier, but I can't help but reiterate the point that you should properly insure your vehicle, take photos of the vehicle and maintain receipts for purchases. Many neglect to add insurance coverage for customizations such as aftermarket wheels. You can call your insurance carrier and inquire whether modifications require additional coverage. If the concern of theft is so troublesome, maybe the addition of other deterrents, option to garage a vehicle in a more secure area or selection of another vehicle may warrant consideration. Ultimately, it's simply a vehicle that can be replaced.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Civic Type R, yes. Regular Civic? nope.

I remember when I first got my WRX, people would walk up to me and ask me about the car. With the Civic, not one person even tried a double take.
Also, Civics come with an immobilizers. It is almost impossible to "jack" the car in the traditional sense. Most of the theft will come from people with access to your keys.

johnnywatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Aegean Blue
I am not concerned. Stealing a ride because the thief likes it is much less likely than stealing a ride for chop-shop and resale. Thieves steal because there is monetary incentive.

The CivicX shares next to nothing with its predecessors, so its blackmarket parts value is significantly diminished. New engines, new transmission, all new bodypanels, everything is new.

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
Back in 1999 when I got my '99 Acura TL, theft of those HID headlights (it was still rare to find HIDs on cars back then) were rampant. People would bend the hood and bumpers to pull out the HID components behind the lens. I wonder if the LED headlights on the Tourings will have the same issue, especially since it seems they can be fitted into non-Touring models.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I am not concerned. Stealing a ride because the thief likes it is much less likely than stealing a ride for chop-shop and resale. Thieves steal because there is monetary incentive.

The CivicX shares next to nothing with its predecessors, so its blackmarket parts value is significantly diminished. New engines, new transmission, all new bodypanels, everything is new.
True...for now. I imagine it won't be long before HASport has a mount kit, Hondata has an ECU adapter, and we start seeing 1.5T's in 88CRX's and up.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got full coverage and gap, but theft is always a concern for everyone. Although, it's probably more of a concern for the thief if I catch them....been awhile since my Louisville slugger had a good swing. :bat:

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
I'm a bit worried about how much the car relies on the key fobs. If someone could make fob cloner and has a spare fob, they could pretty much have their own key to your car, and I've heard of such things existing and happening in parking lots. Best advice against that would be the standard "always keep an eye on your surroundings in parking decks and parking lots when heading to your car".

Aside from that, my dad has a S2000, and it's never been broken into or attempted to be stolen, and I feel a car thief would go for one of those before a Civic.
Sponsored