Is the transmission more sensitive to grinding in colder weather?

Mikias

First Name
Mikias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I have a 2019 Type-R, purchased in March 2019, which grinded (2nd gear) 3 times within the first 500 miles of it's currently 9.8k mile life.

In the last two weeks, it has grinded nearly 5 times (2nd gear) and for the first time I've began to experience 4th gear lockouts and 3rd > 4th gear crunch.

Now, about three weeks ago, I installed the Acuity short shifter assembly but temperatures in NoVA have also began to drop consistently so I'm curious if cold weather may have an impact or my shifter may be improperly installed.

I'm on stock transmission fluid.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it is. I keep feeling like I'm running into walls when shifting in the morning where it's below freezing out and the car still hasn't fully warmed up yet. 24.5K miles, stock trans fluid.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't think it is. I drive it year-round in the Chicagoland region, so -40F to 100F+, I actually haven't had any grinds in colder weather.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
the trans is very tight and notchy when cold.
go very easy to second and 3rd gear untill its warmed up

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it is. I drive it year-round in the Chicagoland region, so -40F to 100F+, I actually haven't had any grinds in colder weather.
Have you changed the trans fluid at all?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Have you changed the trans fluid at all?
Nope, still stock fluid. Most of my tranny issues went away as I drove the car. Probably no issues for the past 20k miles (it's sitting at 36k right now).

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
I don’t think it’s temperature sensitive. I’ve been experiencing the same symptoms but opposite order. A 5-4 downshift lockout at 1800 miles, a 3-2 downshift grinding at temperature (4400 miles) when exiting a highway ramp, and two cases of 1-2 upshift grinding (~2500 miles, 4400 miles). The 1-2 happened both while climbing steep hills of different grades and at completely opposite transmission temperatures.

Mine have been happening more frequently as the miles are put on. Enough that it has me concerned. I’m at 4400 now, I’m starting a warranty claim and will be having the transmission fluid flushed with new OEM fluid. I’ve heard the oem replacement is better than the stuff used in the assembly line, and oem will allow the warranty to be valid at my dealership.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mikias

First Name
Mikias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
This last week I've been taking the time to be a bit more deliberate in my shifts and I've noticed that I can recreate my grinding/lockout anywhere as I've just realized I've been letting out the clutch before I'm fully in gear.

This was just a case of user-error on my part. I definietly need to be more precise in changing gears with the Acuity short shifter (amazing piece by the way for anyone interested).

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Never experienced grinds but I do notice it's more notchy in the cold

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
Had the dealership change the transmission fluid on my dime. Was able to replicate the 5-4 lockout with a tech in the vehicle. I made an official warranty claim and told them 1/3 before envoking lemon law.

The transmission feels a lot better - the OEM replacement definitely has a thicker viscosity as the shifts feel better and generally much more solid. I noticed with the changed fluid that I can still invoke a 5-4 lockout, but noticed as it was locking me out of 4 and I held steady pressure into 4 with the clutch engaged, the rev match then engaging a fraction of a second later, 4th gear then became available and slipped in fine. I’m thinking it is something with the rev match.

I will say changing the fluid has so far made the transmission feel much better, but time will tell whether the problems go away. I’m not entirely sure the 5-4 issue is car specific and worried another model would just have the same experiences. Plus, I like not having to turn off Honda sense every time I get into a sportscar or forgetting and have it try to kill me.
Sponsored