Is the Si's exhaust louder than the Type R's?

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I am surprised to say that it actually might be and it also sounds better..check out this comparison video..around the 18:40 mark..

Sponsored

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Saw the video last night and noticed that too. Much prefer the Rs more polished exhaust note over the fart can one on ours

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Saw the video last night and noticed that too. Much prefer the Rs more polished exhaust note over the fart can one on ours
I disagree. I dont think it sounds like a fart can at all, it sounds a bit louder and deeper which really surprised me. Honda really disappointed there with the R's exhaust note when it's less performance oriented sibling actually sounds better.

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
Driven both and I definitely think the Si is louder. In a quiet area with the windows down the Si exhaust is just right, or as good as a econo turbo 4 can sound. I honestly can't remember hearing anything from the Type R.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Makes me wonder what the hell Honda was thinking muffling the Type R's exhaust to near silent, its quite baffling.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
type r exhaust is stupidly quiet.

i did a resonator delete on my si and it is just perfect now.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Makes me wonder what the hell Honda was thinking muffling the Type R's exhaust to near silent, its quite baffling.
Very good! Did you know you did a "phun"? LOL ... I am not sure if you did or did not know that "quite baffling" is very funny! Mufflers and resonators have "baffles" to quiet down the noise - right? That is why you said that???. This reminds me of a fox news person I watched years ago ... I always wondered if she was aware of what she was doing. Picture this. The newscaster is featuring a show clip of an even for which some Navy Sea folks all dressed in classic white uniforms are making sub sandwiches themselves and serving them to the public (like a charity event). Soooooo ... the FOX newscaster actually said: "These subs are very good!!! I don't know what makes them so good. Maybe it's the seaman?" ... My stomach STILL drops ... to this day. AUGH ... Holy smoke ... and yes ... she WAS blonde. LOL

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very good! Did you know you did a "phun"? LOL ... I am not sure if you did or did not know that "quite baffling" is very funny! Mufflers and resonators have "baffles" to quiet down the noise - right? That is why you said that???. This reminds me of a fox news person I watched years ago ... I always wondered if she was aware of what she was doing. Picture this. The newscaster is featuring a show clip of an even for which some Navy Sea folks all dressed in classic white uniforms are making sub sandwiches themselves and serving them to the public (like a charity event). Soooooo ... the FOX newscaster actually said: "These subs are very good!!! I don't know what makes them so good. Maybe it's the seaman?" ... My stomach STILL drops ... to this day. AUGH ... Holy smoke ... and yes ... she WAS blonde. LOL
o_O

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Granted, I've only heard a Type R or two, with the engine on but I thought it sounded beautiful! I like the sound of my Si, especially in low speed, low gear underpasses or tunnels, but there is a neat deep growl that the CTR had that I was very envious of.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've always thought (based upon my experiences) that the Type R exhaust was louder than the Si, stock vs stock. :dunno:

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, it is louder. We put a Type R exhaust on a 2018 Si and it got quieter, haha!

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've always thought (based upon my experiences) that the Type R exhaust was louder than the Si, stock vs stock. :dunno:
Did you not watch the video?

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the biggest fault with the Type R is the exhaust. I mean, it sounds really good inside the car at high rev, but outside you hear literally nothing. There’s no point riding with your windows down if you want to hear it. The car demands you look at it but it’s missing a voice.

Now, aftermarket exhausts make the exhaust problem nil. I get that people don’t want to mod their car, and I was the same way, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take just to maximize enjoyment of owning one.

I can’t believe the Si is louder though. That’s funny. Wonder if the hatchback sport is too?
Sponsored