is the infotainment really that bad?

jinderC

Maybe the infotainment cry babies shouldn’t buy a Type R..... get the accord and play with your little software screen lol
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe the infotainment cry babies shouldn’t buy a Type R..... get the accord and play with your little software screen lol
I put 25k miles a year on my car. Plenty of that is Type R doing Type R things, but I still use it as a normal car. Kinda sucks that it does a lot of normal things pretty poorly, considering it does so many things well...

Its less of a Type R problem and more of a Civic being behind the curve here...

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
To me, it's like this. I imagine most of us (me included) use CarPlay or Android Auto every single time you step into the car. As such, the hardware is irrelevant so long as it is stable, buttery smooth and doesn't cause a lag. In my case, with CarPlay and iPhone 8+, I have absolutely no complaints. Well, would love an 8" or 9" but it's really the motion of th . . . . wait, what are we talking about?

Having grown up in the era when the car stereo was one of the distinguishing features for upper trim models and more expensive brands, it is interesting to me that nowadays an econobox and a true luxury car can have, in effect, an exact same headunit. Of course, the speakers make a huge difference but you know what I mean.

We have become hardware agnostic. . . . more or less. It's like whether you own a Dell or HP with Windows X. Same chit, basically.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Ah, a true racing enthusiast. I can respect.

I trust that you have removed all the unnecessary stuff that adds weight but does not enhance the performance, such as the back seat, AC, headunit, trim panels, so on. Creature comfort cry babies make me sick, too.

:)

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea, it's garbage. But that's not why I bought a Type R.

My 2014 Accord Touring also had a garbage infotainment system.

I hear the new accords finally got it right. Too bad we didn't get that. But not the biggest deal for me in this particular car.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
To me, it's like this. I imagine most of us (me included) use CarPlay or Android Auto every single time you step into the car. As such, the hardware is irrelevant so long as it is stable, buttery smooth and doesn't cause a lag. In my case, with CarPlay and iPhone 8+, I have absolutely no complaints. Well, would love an 8" or 9" but it's really the motion of th . . . . wait, what are we talking about?
Even Android Autoplay has issues for me. Sometimes it doesn't respond or responds really slowly. Randomly reboots. But that could very well be my phone which has a ton of security features that were required to get my work email on it.

One day these kinds of issues will be a thing of the past when there is more standardization in this space. For example I thought the GPS that was included in my 2014 accord was a waste since Google already invested billions in an algorithm. It's silly that these car companies seemingly invest in devs to re-invent the wheel that will never be as good as the product that had billions invested.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My unit locked up pretty bad yesterday, just continually flickers and it never rebooted itself. None of the buttons or touchscreen were responsive. Weirdly steering control works and BT works and it was still able to play music off the phone but the screen was basically useless. Its like a really bad Android tablet from ages ago with no ability to hard reboot. I think it rebooted itself on some kind of schedule and this morning it was working again. All it all kinda shitty...

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
It's crap.

Strangely my 2018 Fit headunit (also has AA/CP) is much snappier.

The one in my wifes Subaru is no exaggeration, probably 10x faster than the Civic.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
It's crap.

Strangely my 2018 Fit headunit (also has AA/CP) is much snappier.

The one in my wifes Subaru is no exaggeration, probably 10x faster than the Civic.
At the end of the day, does it really matter that much that the Honda Unit is a little slow on its responses to the touch ?
Yes, it would be nice if it was a bit snappier (like your new Smartphone), but really, how much time do you spend actually "controlling" the unit and waiting on it ?
What is far more important (IMHO) is that it runs reliably, which in most cases, it does.

Don't get me wrong, I like fast computers -- I have a fast Gaming computers, and no matter how fast they are, or how often I update them, , there is always a want for them to go faster. ------ It's what you get use to.

If you chill, and just take it easy, let the Unit do it's thing in its own time, most of the time it works fine. Take your time, and spend the majority of it concentrating on your driving, as opposed by getting absorbed in doing a lot of thing fast on the Head Unit, and having it monopolize your concentration.

or.. Obsess over it not being as fast as you would like it to be, and exist in a state of frustration and dissatisfaction .. which will gain you nothing.

ie "Pick your Battles"

and the battle you probably do not want to take on is getting an Aftermarket unit, that is not 100% compatible with the car, (NONE ARE YET) to function adequately, even if it is FAST - but Lacking !!

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
At the end of the day, does it really matter that much that the Honda Unit is a little slow on its responses to the touch ?
Yes, it would be nice if it was a bit snappier (like your new Smartphone), but really, how much time do you spend actually "controlling" the unit and waiting on it ?
What is far more important (IMHO) is that it runs reliably, which in most cases, it does.
Yes, it matters to me. It is a point of frustration nearly every day.

It also crashes about once a week.

That said - the rest of the car is incredible, so I deal with it, but, $35k+ car should not have a head unit this slow/laggy/buggy.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yes, it matters to me. It is a point of frustration nearly every day.

It also crashes about once a week.

That said - the rest of the car is incredible, so I deal with it, but, $35k+ car should not have a head unit this slow/laggy/buggy.
Unfortunately, it does seem that Hinda has NOT done very much (if anything, apart from a few Bug fixes), to update the Civic's Entertainment System, past a very old design that dates back almost 10 years !!
They seem to have concentrated more on the Engine, suspension, and some extreme wild body designs instead.
Will be interesting to see that the next gen brings .

rebelthepit

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Give it time with being able to replace our factory radios with nice aftermarket head units. The new Alpine Halo 9 is beautiful and works as you guys desire the factory too and more! This model is the one i’ll be choosing. Where the problem exists is a two part issue. The manufactures (Honda) wants to make all of the aftermarket revenue. So they make there cars purposely incompatible with after market head units. So until the few companies like Metra come out with a mounting kits, wire harness, antenna adaptors, steering wheel controller, factory amplifier adapter, and data bus adaptor your stuck with what you got. The other part to the problem is sure Alpine almost always produced fantastic aftermarket car head units but since they sell hundreds of thousands to millions of there factory systems to a lot of the different honda’s and other car brands. They are in no rush to really promote their aftermarket radios like the Halo 9 to people like us. Those radios are for people without the “floating iPad” style headunits in older cars. So those owners can have what we have which it used to be the other way around when I sold car audio. The biggest proof of the aftermarkets like Alpine being deep in bed with the car companies is Alpine just moving their company headquarters to Auburn Hills, MI from their home for decades in Torrence CA. This speaks volumes!

As far as us getting new radios for our cars. It’s just a matter of time. We own Honda’s for Christ sake and we’re very lucky. Their one of the first to get any integration modules and dash kits from companies like Metra. It costs Metra tons of money to R&D these parts perfectly. So hopefully we get these necessary parts sooner than later.

Last edited:

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't read the thread, in fact didn't even read the OP, just going based on the title.

My answer is: yes, it's pretty crappy BUT:

It can be rooted and do some cool stuff, albeit slowly, but still it's nice to have that flexibility
It takes nothing away from the experience for me. Nothing. This is a car that begs to be driven, not fiddled with. It's actually funny how capable it is as a daily driving, grocery getting hatchback (just did it today, all day on errands). But at the end of the day, while it CAN do that, it begs to rip up asphalt and apologize for nothing - not its looks or its slow infotainment or lack of a volume knob for two years. There are times I just turn it all off, crack the window and go drive. That's why I bought it, after all.
Sponsored