is the infotainment really that bad?

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
The car is great, but the infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. It's laggy and slow. It doesn't even auto pick up bluetooth if I'm on the phone when I get in the car and while not infotainment related, seriously HATE that it doesn't unlock all 4 doors when I touch the handle. Seriously I get the "safety" issue, but put a fucking option in for people like me who miss the convenience.

It gets points for walk away lock tho, love that feature.
You can configure the car to unlock 4 doors when you touch the handle. I just it the other day with my MY17 -R. There is actually two configurations you can program so you have to make sure you program the setting in the proper menu. Keyless unlocking is for the wireless key FOB but there is an alternate menu for automatic locks which is the touch unlock feature. I am not in front of my car right now but yo I definitely can configure it to unlock all doors by touching the drivers door handle.
Sponsored

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
If I one thing that Iā€™d fix regarding all this infotainment hoopla is the fan control. I am hoping that I can just buy a climate control unit for a 2019R and plop it into my MY17 and call it a day. I actually like the clean face look of the MY17/18 infotainment and prefer it over the newer unit that has the buttons where dust and dirt can build up in.

But yes... fan speed and perhaps climate mode control wouldā€™ve been nice to have in our cars right from the get go. I wouldā€™ve done the climate control swap from another civic BUT losing dual climate control was the deal breaker for me. Wifey likes it warm while I like it cold so maybe the 2019 climate control is the logical solution.

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
You can configure the car to unlock 4 doors when you touch the handle. I just it the other day with my MY17 -R. There is actually two configurations you can program so you have to make sure you program the setting in the proper menu. Keyless unlocking is for the wireless key FOB but there is an alternate menu for automatic locks which is the touch unlock feature. I am not in front of my car right now but yo I definitely can configure it to unlock all doors by touching the drivers door handle.
Yep someone pointed this out in another post I made. It was such an annoying issue thanks for the post though in case others didn't.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
So you are saying a 2018 interface is better than a 2011 interface? Say it isnā€™t so. iDrive 6.0 and higher is actually really good. Not the best but much better than the initial versions. It can do stuff like display Waze from CarPlay and satellite radio or usb in split screen which is really useful.
Agree. The iDrive is currently one of the best infotainment out here right now. Itā€™s snappy, responsive and very intuitive. I like the fact I can rest my arm on the center arm rest, sit back while controlling the infotainment in my car. Thereā€™s a reason why all luxury car manufacturers have the control on the center console.

messenio

First Name
Tevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The system is a bit slow at times, but on the other hand I get Android auto with navigation directions on the instrument cluster, and I can sideload Android apps (since I'm rooted) and expand the functionality any way I please in the future. No complaints, love it.

jgoods90

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2007 GPW S2000 (sold)
Country flag
I've had the car 2 weeks, and i have waited to respond to this thread. I can honestly say i am pleasantly surprised with how good the infotainment system is. my wife has a 2016 lexus NX 200t and my daily driver is a prius and the civic has a much better and user friendly system in my opinion. Sure a volume knob would be nice, but i have no regrets about buying a 2018. I do not think too much weight should be placed on the infotainment system, I did not buy this car for the infotainment system, and i doubt many other members did as well so it had almost no factor in my pre purchasing decision making.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car is great, but the infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. It's laggy and slow. It doesn't even auto pick up bluetooth if I'm on the phone when I get in the car and while not infotainment related, seriously HATE that it doesn't unlock all 4 doors when I touch the handle. Seriously I get the "safety" issue, but put a fucking option in for people like me who miss the convenience.

It gets points for walk away lock tho, love that feature.
The "Auto Unlock" mode is a customizable option (all 4 doors unlock on my Sport Touring when I touch the driver's door handle). On the central screen, go to Settings--->Vehicle--->Door/Window Setup--->Key and Remote Unlock Mode

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
The "Auto Unlock" mode is a customizable option (all 4 doors unlock on my Sport Touring when I touch the driver's door handle). On the central screen, go to Settings--->Vehicle--->Door/Window Setup--->Key and Remote Unlock Mode
Yep another poster pointed that out and it works, changed my life LOL. I still hate the infotainment, but thats one issue fixed!

EAClarke

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Carplay is an actual godsend. If the car didn't have it, I don't think I could buy it. (It's my DD).

I can understand the climate complaints, but so far, it's fine for me.

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Carplay is an actual godsend. If the car didn't have it, I don't think I could buy it. (It's my DD).

I can understand the climate complaints, but so far, it's fine for me.
Same. I use carplay almost 100% of the time.

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
Drove a 2018 CRV for about a month before getting back into my CTR. Infotainment is about the same -- only gripe is the climate control lagging a bit but it's not THAT bad imo.

HaRDYSi925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I have a 2019 SI and I haven't had a single problem with my system. It's actually pretty quick and responsive and am able to watch YouTube on it flawlessly. Waze works tremendously also. Just went on a 12-hour road trip and using it with Waze on and did not have a single lag of or issue.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2017 Si, a 2018 Pilot, and a 2018 CTR. Seems like we are always unplugging, replugging, killing apps on the phone, etc. serious pain in the butt. Generally works flawlessly but when it gets stupid...

Hope4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I drove a 2012 Journey before buying a civic. The civic has so many more tech options. I love carplay. I don't need Navigation since I can pull up directions from my iphone on the screen. I love how I can just ask siri to do everything so it's all hands free. I like having volume on the steering wheel. The only thing I miss is being able to save favorite music on Sirius so I know when it's playing. (That's really a non issue :))

On a funny note, whenever I have friends in my car I laugh when they try to turn the music up because they're really turning the temperature up. ;)

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think its just slow. Function wise I haven't had too much issues but it takes a while to boot up when you get in and drive it often takes a while to get to the point its connected to the phone and ready to play something off BT. The Climate Control switching is comically slow for something in 2018.

I actually have had the unit actually crashing hard once. The system just locked up and was looping like 3 sec of music for like 2 min. It rebooted itself after that and was fine again but it was really weird as unlike a tablet or something I have no idea how to coax it into rebooting if it didn't do it itself.
Sponsored