is the infotainment really that bad?

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Lol the owners manual is a wonderful thing. Give it a read, real page turner. By way, did you get your real owners manual for free? Not the one came with car but the 700 plus page giant from honda? It tells you all the secrets ;)
+1. I am very impressed with that 700 page manual. I have the paper version in the trunk just in case, but I always look for things with the soft version, since being able to easily search this behemoth is a requirement.! I have found all kinds of little details in the manual. Most comprehensive owner's manual I have ever seen...
Sponsored

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
im coming from a 2016 Lexus RC350 F-Sport and a 2013 Infiniti G37s before that. probably two of the worst infotainment systems ever known to mankind. playing around with my new CTR, i think it's pretty decent. obviously my standards are super low, but what's so bad about it?

the volume knob is a non factor imo.
The system is slow responding to inputs and adjusting the volume is a factor by being annoying for the passenger. The steering wheel volume control works fine for the driver. The system locks up using Android Auto about 10% of the time.

That said, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay make it a better experience if you have a compatible phone that's responsive. My Galaxy S7 is decent with a ton of apps but my iPhone X is mostly stock and much faster. If I reset my S7 or removed apps it would probably be a lot faster. Im not sure if it would prevent lockups.

The sound and features are decent. Nothing in the system was a deal breaker for me because I enjoyed the rest of the car.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Yeah one second doesn't seem a lot. But in comparison to other cars that aren't even Tesla it's slow. There are Android based head unit replacements for the gen x Civic from China that run faster.

That's 2+ seconds of taking your eyes off the road while driving in a world where driving while texting is rampant. Since you don't have any physical points of interaction like a knob you have to look over.

Imo people need to stop making excuses for Honda. It's bad even in on long term tests by one of the major publications.

I love the car but the head unit is the worst thing about it.

But hey if you think it's not that bad, id love to trade with a member with a 2019 that doesn't want the buttons.
I'm not making excuses for Honda, just saying that the system works for me and I don't think the response time is a big deal. I don't generally use the touchscreen when I'm driving anyway, I use voice control for navigation and the steering wheel buttons for music (track selection and, yes, volume). I'm not even saying I wouldn't rather have the 2019 version, but I wouldn't want to pay the higher 2019 MSRP to get it.

And I used to own BMWs when they first came out with their iDrive system. Now that was a counter-intuitive POS.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
im coming from a 2016 Lexus RC350 F-Sport and a 2013 Infiniti G37s before that. probably two of the worst infotainment systems ever known to mankind. playing around with my new CTR, i think it's pretty decent. obviously my standards are super low, but what's so bad about it?

the volume knob is a non factor imo.
I think it's fine for what it is. I'm mostly using carplay so I haven't had much time with the actual interface. I don't mind the volume slider since I use the steering wheel controls. The only thing I wish I had is separate controls for the climate control, but it's not a deal breaker since I have auto climate going most of the time.

mmm def

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 CTR, 13 GS350
Country flag
I have no problems with it. i set my climate and forget it, music is streamed through my phone so what else? Nav/Waze I use my phone anyway. no big deal.

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
Muggsy said:
And I used to own BMWs when they first came out with their iDrive system. Now that was a counter-intuitive POS
I had a 2011 328i and the iDrive was terrible. The current Honda infotainment system is better. I'm glad the Honda is listening to customers, unlike BMW with the iDrive.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
It’s the worst interface in the industry so it depends on the type of owner you are. If you are the type of person that likes to use tech then it’s annoying. If you are one of those people that just gets in the car and drives with the same audio source all the time and don’t use NAV or other stuff you probably won’t care much. Also it depends on what you are used to as if you primarily drive Hondas your standards will be lower than people that are used to infotainment systems from other manufacturers as even Hyundai does a much better job here. That said Honda has got the message as the system in the Accord is much, much better and a step in the right direction.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If you are one of those people that just gets in the car and drives with the same audio source all the time and don’t use NAV or other stuff you probably won’t care much.
That's basically me. I start the car, hondata app auto loads and connects and thats it. Never use any of the other stuff like apple car play so it doesn't bother me one bit.

i'm curious to know what you guys are doing with the infotainment system while driving because I rarely touch it... Only time I do is to adjust the fan speeds really.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I had a 2011 328i and the iDrive was terrible. The current Honda infotainment system is better. I'm glad the Honda is listening to customers, unlike BMW with the iDrive.
So you are saying a 2018 interface is better than a 2011 interface? Say it isn’t so. iDrive 6.0 and higher is actually really good. Not the best but much better than the initial versions. It can do stuff like display Waze from CarPlay and satellite radio or usb in split screen which is really useful.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
That's basically me. I start the car, hondata app auto loads and connects and thats it. Never use any of the other stuff like apple car play so it doesn't bother me one bit.

i'm curious to know what you guys are doing with the infotainment system while driving because I rarely touch it... Only time I do is to adjust the fan speeds really.
My commutes can be an hour plus. I use Android auto almost exclusively. I will often switch from spotify to pocketcasts depeninding on the mood.

I also have a habit carried from my previous cars of turning off the AC close to my destination to dry the HVAC system.

I interact with the system a lot actually. I would definitely find a more responsive system more enjoyable.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
infotainment is fine and the knob doesn't bother me. I only listen to music really. I don't even do hands free. I hardly answer the phone when i'm driving. It still surprises me how automakers can't make these any better though. It's 2018 man....:confused1: With all the tablets, iphones, ipads, touch screens, bluetooth...etc, you'd think automakers would've solved any connectivity, speed, and display issues w/ infotainment. Instead, we still get these outdated firmware or outdated displays. Like i said, i don't really care. It's better than anything i've ever had and actually on par w/ Lexus infotainment, IMO.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag

This is what I'm saying. What are you all trying to do while you drive that requires all this interaction with the infotainment? And to the other guy..I am a tech person that's why I let me phone and ok google handle commands instead of buttons and knobs. How are you tech people but need knobs and buttons? You can control anything in the car with voice or phone. I never touch the screen. Hell I pair my galaxy watch with it and can control volume from my watch dial just like a knob.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The fact that you have to bypass the headunit altogether to do things isnt any indicator that it needs improvement? :dunno:

again, stop making excuses for Honda. At least Honda themselves have realized their flaws. Time owners do too.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
My commutes can be an hour plus. I use Android auto almost exclusively. I will often switch from spotify to pocketcasts depeninding on the mood.

I also have a habit carried from my previous cars of turning off the AC close to my destination to dry the HVAC system.

I interact with the system a lot actually. I would definitely find a more responsive system more enjoyable.
my commute back home takes like 80 mins so i can understand the pain. I guess i'm just a minority lol. I only just listen to radio (sometimes pandora through phone) so i don't use all the fancy spotify/carplay stuff.

I do the HVAC thing too. Always turn it off before shutting off the car but that takes a few seconds every drive so it doesn't really bother me. I do use the nav sometimes but it's always before i start driving so never would touching the interface while driving.

I also don't use the voice command also so idk lol.:dunno:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
The fact that you have to bypass the headunit altogether to do things isnt any indicator that it needs improvement? :dunno:

again, stop making excuses for Honda. At least Honda themselves have realized their flaws. Time owners do too.
Not an excuse and not bypassing the unit for any perceived build quality issues. This is how I do things in all my cars regardless. No head unit from anyone could do what I do from my phone or watch. I'm just saying there are easier ways to do things that make the way this unit or any other basically obsolete.
Sponsored