is the infotainment really that bad?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
The car is great, but the infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. It's laggy and slow. It doesn't even auto pick up bluetooth if I'm on the phone when I get in the car and while not infotainment related, seriously HATE that it doesn't unlock all 4 doors when I touch the handle. Seriously I get the "safety" issue, but put a fucking option in for people like me who miss the convenience.

It gets points for walk away lock tho, love that feature.
It does unlock all doors with one touch. Gotta change it in settings. I touch my door and all 4 doors unlock
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm curious to the age groups here. Seems we got two camps the " infotainment dont bother me" and the " it is slow and does not do what I want instantly" group. I'm in the I don't care group and I'm 46. Curious if the raised on cell phone I gotta have it now under 30 group are the ones complaining about speed. Us "older guys/gals" seem less interested in instant gratification and do dads. Just want a fast car. I may be wrong but just curious.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car is great, but the infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. It's laggy and slow. It doesn't even auto pick up bluetooth if I'm on the phone when I get in the car and while not infotainment related, seriously HATE that it doesn't unlock all 4 doors when I touch the handle. Seriously I get the "safety" issue, but put a fucking option in for people like me who miss the convenience.

It gets points for walk away lock tho, love that feature.
It does have that feature. You gotta set it to unlock all in menu. I did and mine does.

maverick

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR
Country flag
I'm curious to the age groups here. Seems we got two camps the " infotainment dont bother me" and the " it is slow and does not do what I want instantly" group. I'm in the I don't care group and I'm 46. Curious if the raised on cell phone I gotta have it now under 30 group are the ones complaining about speed. Us "older guys/gals" seem less interested in instant gratification and do dads. Just want a fast car. I may be wrong but just curious.
I'm 26 and I'm not overly annoyed by the infotainment either. My old TSX didn't have any of these fancy new features and I thought it was fine too. Maybe I'm just focused on the part of driving that matters... the driving!! :D

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm 26 and I'm not overly annoyed by the infotainment either. My old TSX didn't have any of these fancy new features and I thought it was fine too. Maybe I'm just focused on the part of driving that matters... the driving!! :D
Awesome, me too. Want a car to drive. To feel the pure joy of driving. Dont understand these ones want a performance car to have living room features. Buy a SUV if you need that.

db220

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I don't have an issue with it. It isn't even that laggy and the Car play is awesome. I'd rather use the steering wheel than a volume knob.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Personally not a fan of it. Honda must think so too cause of the 2019 refresh of the infotainment system contains all the buttons i wanted. Volume knob, dedicated physical fan speed adjustment buttons, etc.

It is laggy, as documented by a magazine with a 1 second average response time from screen press to completion. One of the slowest in its class. It's unfortunate they didnt include the improved unit from the new 2018 Accord. Made a video of it here:

Is it a deal breaker? Not really. I've learned to live with it but if my system gives me any trouble I'm going to see what it will take to swap for a 2019 system. I've had it completely lock up once just recently. Steering wheel controls unresponsive, climate, screen, etc. all unresponsive. First after 10k miles.

For what it's worth, i'm 30 and have never had to deal with a slow console until now. Previous cars include the 3rd generation TL, 3rd generation GS350. My 3 year old Nexus 6P is more responsive. Genuinely curious what SoC runs infotainment system in a car 2017-2018.

Last edited:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Personally not a fan of it. Honda must think so too cause of the 2019 refresh of the infotainment system contains all the buttons i wanted. Volume knob, dedicated physical fan speed adjustment buttons, etc.

It is laggy, as documented by a magazine with a 1 second average response time from screen press to completion. One of the slowest in its class. It's unfortunate they didnt include the improved unit from the new 2018 Accord. Made a video of it here:

Is it a deal breaker? Not really. I've learned to live with it but if my system gives me any trouble I'm going to see what it will take to swap for a 2019 system. I've had it completely lock up once just recently. Steering wheel controls unresponsive, climate, screen, etc. all unresponsive. First after 10k miles.

For what it's worth, i'm 30 and have never had to deal with a slow console until now. Previous cars include the 3rd generation TL, 3rd generation GS350. My 3 year old Nexus 6P is more responsive. Genuinely curious what SoC runs infotainment system in a car 2017-2018.
Everyone's complaints are all about minor non issue things. It's like they are just stretching to find anything to complain about. The fan screen came right up. How fast do you want it? Cruise control... just tap the gas and at the speed you want press set again. All that button pushing doesn't even need to be done. The button feel...that's subjective. I like a nice firm button push with feedback so I know it registered without looking while I'm driving paying attention to the road and not a button. Now the hatch lid handle thats a ligit complaint stuff should not fall apart when you use it. All these other things are just personal.opinions on how the car should be. And as we can see from the forums many topics on this the infotainment is a non issue for a overwhelming majority. But as always the vocal minority get thier way... squeaky wheel and all. Oh the coat hook...seriously take a good long trip on any road or highway. How many jackets you see hung up on coat hooks? Yeah just about none. So why is that even a complaint. No one uses them

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Everyone's complaints are all about minor non issue things. It's like they are just stretching to find anything to complain about. The fan screen came right up. How fast do you want it? Cruise control... just tap the gas and at the speed you want press set again. All that button pushing doesn't even need to be done. The button feel...that's subjective. I like a nice firm button push with feedback so I know it registered without looking while I'm driving paying attention to the road and not a button. Now the hatch lid handle thats a ligit complaint stuff should not fall apart when you use it. All these other things are just personal.opinions on how the car should be. And as we can see from the forums many topics on this the infotainment is a non issue for a overwhelming majority. But as always the vocal minority get thier way... squeaky wheel and all. Oh the coat hook...seriously take a good long trip on any road or highway. How many jackets you see hung up on coat hooks? Yeah just about none. So why is that even a complaint. No one uses them
As mentioned this is my personal opinion based on daily driving the car. Just as you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

Not everyone uses their car exactly the same way you do. If it works for you, more power to you. With 2019, it works for both button pushers and touch screen users. Everyone can have their cake and eat it too.

Adjusting fan speed and A/C operation in 3+ buttons is a new precedent. I dont think even my GS had that many buttons to press to simply adjust fan speed.

The old style buttons on older cars still had a tactile bump. Just not a loud one.

I would disagree with most not really caring about the infotainment system. Nearly all magazine publications found flaws with the design. You wont hear many complaints in a forum full of fans. Forums can and will be an echo chamber. I would also say that people are tolerating using it, but dont find it enjoyable to use.

The hooks, I noticed when I had to carry my suit (on a hanger) in the car. When placed on any other car with a grab handle hook, there is clearance to allow for blind spot checks. There is no clearance when your coat is essentially hanging off your b-pillar, blocking any view of your blind spot for a shoulder check.

Most infotainment commands in the Type R can be done by voice too, but why doesnt anyone else use it? Because some methods are better than others.

Last edited:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As mentioned this is my personal opinion based on daily driving the car. Just as you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

Not everyone uses their car exactly the same way you do. If it works for you, more power to you. With 2019, it works for both button pushers and touch screen users. Everyone can have their cake and eat it too.

Adjusting fan speed and A/C operation in 3+ buttons is a new precedent. I dont think even my GS had that many buttons to press to simply adjust fan speed.

The old style buttons on older cars still had a tactile bump. Just not a loud one.

I would disagree with most not really caring about the infotainment system. Nearly all magazine publications found flaws with the design. You wont hear many complaints in a forum full of fans. Forums can and will be an echo chamber.

The hooks, I noticed when I had to carry my suit (on a hanger) in the car. When placed on any other car with a grab handle hook, there is clearance to allow for blind spot checks. There is no clearance when your coat is essentially hanging off your b-pillar, blocking any view of your blind spot for a shoulder check.

Most infotainment commands in the Type R can be done by voice too, but why doesnt anyone else use it? Because some methods are better than others.
I hear yah. But the magazines ... none of those people owned the car. They drive it for a day. It's new, different. They all complained because they didn't take time to understand it. They drive it a few hours touched some buttons went oh this sucks then forgot it and drove the car for a review. So yeah publication complaints from non owners... eh... look at the forums.. this thread... 10 going not an issue 1 going it is. 10 not 1 is.. every thread I read so far more say non issue then say is. Plus people cherry pick reviews... they will say oh see all the reviews say infotainment sucks they are right. But when they say the R isnt the best and other hatches are better then its.. screw them they dont know what they are talking about. Lol only cited a review when it agrees with you I guess.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag

Sorry for the snark, but seriously? One second? So you touch the screen and you have time to count "one Mississippi" before it responds?

It reminds me of an old Simpsons episode, where Homer hears an ad for an appliance that can flash fry a buffalo in 15 seconds. He whines, "15 seconds? But I wanted it NOW!"

Seriously, if you want an awesome touchscreen with a car attached, get a Tesla. And I love Tesla.

Last edited:

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
It does unlock all doors with one touch. Gotta change it in settings. I touch my door and all 4 doors unlock
It does have that feature. You gotta set it to unlock all in menu. I did and mine does.
I stand corrected - I found the setting and updated it and tested and it works. Thanks much!

The Honda dealership EXPLICTLY stated to me it couldn't be changed and it was a safety issue. I took it at face value. I even read some posts on here confirming it I feel like too.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I stand corrected - I found the setting and updated it and tested and it works. Thanks much!

The Honda dealership EXPLICTLY stated to me it couldn't be changed and it was a safety issue. I took it at face value. I even read some posts on here confirming it I feel like too.
Lol the owners manual is a wonderful thing. Give it a read, real page turner. By way, did you get your real owners manual for free? Not the one came with car but the 700 plus page giant from honda? It tells you all the secrets ;)

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I never cared for the infotainment system.
It does the job I need for it to do just fine and that's to show the engine parameters with the hondata app.

I haven't changed it from that screen in months.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Sorry for the snark, but seriously? One second? So you touch the screen and you have time to count "one Mississippi" before it responds?

It reminds me of an old Simpsons episode, where Homer hears an ad for an appliance that can flash fry a buffalo in 15 seconds. He whines, "15 seconds? But I wanted it NOW!"

Seriously, if you want an awesome touchscreen with a car attached, get a Tesla. And I love Tesla.
Yeah one second doesn't seem a lot. But in comparison to other cars that aren't even Tesla it's slow. There are Android based head unit replacements for the gen x Civic from China that run faster.

That's 2+ seconds of taking your eyes off the road while driving in a world where driving while texting is rampant. Since you don't have any physical points of interaction like a knob you have to look over.

Imo people need to stop making excuses for Honda. It's bad even in on long term tests by one of the major publications.

I love the car but the head unit is the worst thing about it.

But hey if you think it's not that bad, id love to trade with a member with a 2019 that doesn't want the buttons.
Sponsored

Last edited: