is the infotainment really that bad?

snoflewis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CBP CTR
Country flag
im coming from a 2016 Lexus RC350 F-Sport and a 2013 Infiniti G37s before that. probably two of the worst infotainment systems ever known to mankind. playing around with my new CTR, i think it's pretty decent. obviously my standards are super low, but what's so bad about it?

the volume knob is a non factor imo.
Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Laggy and non-intuitive interface. That's about it for me. I know other people have had issues with it freezing up, but I've never encountered that.

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
At least with the Lexus you can install Grom Vline2. That add-on is legit!

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I think it's all in how you use it. I only use mine for music. Get in, sync phone then all I need is the volume rocker. I dont use or need the GPS or any of the other functions. I'm not a temperature sensitive individual I leave my climate on 70 and fan at 2nd setting don't think I've touched it in a year. So for me it's fine.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
The system is ok. It does what it needs to but it is a bit slow and awkward in controls. We also have a Jeep with a older version of UConnect and by comparison that unit is vastly superior in speed and usability plus the display looks a lot cleaner. The Honda system reminds me of CUE from Cadillac which has its own issues.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I don't get all the bitching. I came from a 2014 Audi S4, which didn't have CarPlay. My other car is a 2000 Lexus GS400, which has a 6-disc CD changer in the glove box and a cassette deck in the dash. The Honda system is a bit laggy, but I mostly use it to play music and the navigation is much better than my wife's Toyota. No complaints here.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I think it's ok.

What I miss is on my Dodge Challenger there was a feature button called "FAV" that allowed you to save your favorite band or song......when it was playing on any channel of a sat station a chime would go off telling you one of your"favorites" was playing, you hit the button and it takes you to the song playing....and it plays it from the beginning.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I don't get all the bitching. ....
Me neither :D specially now that the refresh version is coming..
  • It was about to happen, like in any other car's updates.
  • I don't think is brutally different, to the initial version. Unless you needed for the track (sarcasm) or "sensing the car behind you" :drive:
  • I don't think is bad either.
Instead of focusing on volume knobs, I would be delighted better with: adaptive headlights & heater setas.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I don't know why people complains the volume knob. I stopped using them 10 years ago. The infotainment is not as bad. It's a little laggy, but then again, it's based on a low $20k car.

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I bought a car with an infotainment system, not an infotainment system with a car attached. In 30 years of using computers (which our infotainment systems are), I have yet to use one that was perfect - no lag, no bugs, no crashes - that includes PCs, Macs, Linux machines, etc. Is it super speedy? Uh, NO. But 99.9% of the time I have it on a radio station and flipping between my presets is plenty fast enough. My iPhone connects without issue; I can answer calls when I choose to. Do I wish the climate controls were separate? Yes. But then again, I have that set on Auto most of the time. So again, no complaints from me. I bought the car for its mechanical performance, gas mileage and good looks. I'm not going to complain about the 'infotainment'.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I really don’t get the complaints about the missing volume knob or the system itself. It provides me with the required functionality and then some. Better than most that I have owned in the past but also not the best in that regard. This was also a non existent factor in me going with the car so perhaps I am different than most as the tranny, engine and seats are the best I have ever experienced. The car kicks ass.

Marfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's not the worst. No volume knob is a non-issue for me, there is a volume rocker on the steering wheel. My climate control is generally on auto so I rarely have to touch it. Pair it with your phone and Android Auto and it's basically a non issue.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Actually the infotainment is really good in my opinion. It does everything I want it to, at a good enough speed. Plus in Canada, it also comes with factory navigation which I use constantly. No complaints. In fact, after sitting in a 2019 civic yesterday, I prefer the 2018 infotainment compaired to the 2019 edition. The volume knob and other buttons look and feel very cheap and low end on the new one

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
The car is great, but the infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. It's laggy and slow. It doesn't even auto pick up bluetooth if I'm on the phone when I get in the car and while not infotainment related, seriously HATE that it doesn't unlock all 4 doors when I touch the handle. Seriously I get the "safety" issue, but put a fucking option in for people like me who miss the convenience.

It gets points for walk away lock tho, love that feature.
Sponsored