1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

is the infotainment really that bad?

Discussion in 'Civic Type R Forum (FK8 - 10th Gen)' started by snoflewis, Nov 3, 2018.

1. snoflewis Member

Car(s):
    '18 CBP
    im coming from a 2016 Lexus RC350 F-Sport and a 2013 Infiniti G37s before that. probably two of the worst infotainment systems ever known to mankind. playing around with my new CTR, i think it's pretty decent. obviously my standards are super low, but what's so bad about it?

the volume knob is a non factor imo.

2. Driveitlikeuboughtit Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW CTR
    Laggy and non-intuitive interface. That's about it for me. I know other people have had issues with it freezing up, but I've never encountered that.

warsaws thanked this.
  3. KingsR1213 Senior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    FK8
    At least with the Lexus you can install Grom Vline2. That add-on is legit!

4. Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic type R
    I think it's all in how you use it. I only use mine for music. Get in, sync phone then all I need is the volume rocker. I dont use or need the GPS or any of the other functions. I'm not a temperature sensitive individual I leave my climate on 70 and fan at 2nd setting don't think I've touched it in a year. So for me it's fine.

Axatax thanked this.
  5. zsak

zsak Senior Member

First Name:
    Tej
    Car(s):
    2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
    The system is ok. It does what it needs to but it is a bit slow and awkward in controls. We also have a Jeep with a older version of UConnect and by comparison that unit is vastly superior in speed and usability plus the display looks a lot cleaner. The Honda system reminds me of CUE from Cadillac which has its own issues.

6. CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    is the 2019 info system faster?

7. Muggsy Senior Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Car(s):
    2018 PMM CTR, 2000 Lexus GS400
    I don't get all the bitching. I came from a 2014 Audi S4, which didn't have CarPlay. My other car is a 2000 Lexus GS400, which has a 6-disc CD changer in the glove box and a cassette deck in the dash. The Honda system is a bit laggy, but I mostly use it to play music and the navigation is much better than my wife's Toyota. No complaints here.

Scott_ATL thanked this.
  8. SoCalCivicSI

SoCalCivicSI Senior Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Car(s):
    2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2018 Aegean Blue, 6 Speed EX-T Civic Sedan, 2007 2.4 Auto Accord Sedan
    I think it's ok.

What I miss is on my Dodge Challenger there was a feature button called "FAV" that allowed you to save your favorite band or song......when it was playing on any channel of a sat station a chime would go off telling you one of your"favorites" was playing, you hit the button and it takes you to the song playing....and it plays it from the beginning.

9. Night Fury

Night Fury Senior Member

Car(s):
    Black Type R
    Me neither :D specially now that the refresh version is coming..
    • It was about to happen, like in any other car's updates.
    • I don't think is brutally different, to the initial version. Unless you needed for the track (sarcasm) or "sensing the car behind you" :drive:
    • I don't think is bad either.
    Instead of focusing on volume knobs, I would be delighted better with: adaptive headlights & heater setas.

10. VinRRR Member

First Name:
    Vincent
    Car(s):
    BMW X3, Type R
    I don't know why people complains the volume knob. I stopped using them 10 years ago. The infotainment is not as bad. It's a little laggy, but then again, it's based on a low $20k car.

Scott_ATL thanked this.
  11. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Senior Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    I bought a car with an infotainment system, not an infotainment system with a car attached. In 30 years of using computers (which our infotainment systems are), I have yet to use one that was perfect - no lag, no bugs, no crashes - that includes PCs, Macs, Linux machines, etc. Is it super speedy? Uh, NO. But 99.9% of the time I have it on a radio station and flipping between my presets is plenty fast enough. My iPhone connects without issue; I can answer calls when I choose to. Do I wish the climate controls were separate? Yes. But then again, I have that set on Auto most of the time. So again, no complaints from me. I bought the car for its mechanical performance, gas mileage and good looks. I'm not going to complain about the 'infotainment'.

Muggsy thanked this.
  12. movovr Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I really don’t get the complaints about the missing volume knob or the system itself. It provides me with the required functionality and then some. Better than most that I have owned in the past but also not the best in that regard. This was also a non existent factor in me going with the car so perhaps I am different than most as the tranny, engine and seats are the best I have ever experienced. The car kicks ass.

Scott_ATL thanked this.
  13. Marfoo

Marfoo Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    It's not the worst. No volume knob is a non-issue for me, there is a volume rocker on the steering wheel. My climate control is generally on auto so I rarely have to touch it. Pair it with your phone and Android Auto and it's basically a non issue.

14. Captaindicki

Captaindicki Senior Member

Whatchoo Talkin ‘Bout Willis
    First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2016 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (Red Devil)
    Actually the infotainment is really good in my opinion. It does everything I want it to, at a good enough speed. Plus in Canada, it also comes with factory navigation which I use constantly. No complaints. In fact, after sitting in a 2019 civic yesterday, I prefer the 2018 infotainment compaired to the 2019 edition. The volume knob and other buttons look and feel very cheap and low end on the new one

15. Godofelru Member

First Name:
    Evan
    Car(s):
    2018 CW Civic Type R
    The car is great, but the infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. It's laggy and slow. It doesn't even auto pick up bluetooth if I'm on the phone when I get in the car and while not infotainment related, seriously HATE that it doesn't unlock all 4 doors when I touch the handle. Seriously I get the "safety" issue, but put a fucking option in for people like me who miss the convenience.

It gets points for walk away lock tho, love that feature.