BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I have been looking at a few 2000 through 2005 Civic Si's as a project car for me and my son to restore over a few summers. There are a bunch for sale in the Southern California area between $1500 to $4500. There was a 2005 with 145K he was asking $3500, fully stock and good running engine and clean title I was tempted to buy. The issues are transmission grind, interior in bad shape, and some body work (needs paint). Anyway this would probably happen next year
so shocking lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
so shocking lol
Yeah, so I've heard! Rebuilt transmissions are pretty cheap for this car, and this would be a project car so if I would be spending between $1500 to $3500 I would be expecting problems

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I know there is a lot of love for the hatch Si from 05, but i just didn't get it. I didn't like the look (to me it looked like somebody shrunk an Odyssey). I drove it hoping that would redeem it... well underwhelmed is the kindest way I could describe the experience. I really wanted to like it. The one i was looking at buying was blue and almost new at a great price. In the end i passed

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I know there is a lot of love for the hatch Si from 05, but i just didn't get it. I didn't like the look (to me it looked like somebody shrunk an Odyssey). I drove it hoping that would redeem it... well underwhelmed is the kindest way I could describe the experience. I really wanted to like it. The one i was looking at buying was blue and almost new at a great price. In the end i passed
most ppl felt that sentiment. yeah there is a small following, but really the car was disappointing. easily the least popular si ever made both in sales and the general feeling towards it in the honda community.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
most ppl felt that sentiment. yeah there is a small following, but really the car was disappointing. easily the least popular si ever made both in sales and the general feeling towards it in the honda community.
Maybe that's why they are selling so cheap on Craigslist. I saw a 1999 (or was it a 95?) stock Si, low miles (40K) sell for $20k on bring your own trailer. Maybe I should refine my search more backwards in time. Anyway this will be a project car my son will probably end up getting

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Maybe that's why they are selling so cheap on Craigslist. I saw a 1999 (or was it a 95?) stock Si, low miles (40K) sell for $20k on bring your own trailer. Maybe I should refine my search more backwards in time. Anyway this will be a project car my son will probably end up getting
the only downsides to getting a 92-2000 si, or any rsx, especially type s, is that they get stolen non-stop still to this day. it would suck putting all that time work and money into finishing a project just to have it stolen.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the only downsides to getting a 92-2000 si, or any rsx, especially type s, is that they get stolen non-stop still to this day. it would suck putting all that time work and money into finishing a project just to have it stolen.
That is definitely a fact. In San Jose where I live, any Honda from 92 to 2000 are the most frequently stolen car. They all end up in some LA chop shop. Definitely something to consider

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I will take a lot of heat after this comment but I don't care.

Right now I don't own any Civic. I'm here in the forums to be aware of the platform just in case I end up with a 10th Civic SI in the future.

Anyway, by looking at the quarter mile threads and comparing to what I remember from threads of the 8th and 9th gen Civic SI. I can conclude that the 10th is as fast as an old 8th or 9th gen.

You might disagree but the numbers are there. Stock numbers are similar (low 15s avg), FBO+Tune numbers are similar too (mid to low 14's avg).

I agree the low end of the Civic SI 10th is superior to the old ones but as the rpm climb they start to lose steam and feel gutless. The old ones specially the 8th close to redline they feel amazing.

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
I'm an old guy trying to get real life data on the gen 10 Si as well...might get one before the month is out. I autocross, and have for 30 years in various cars from 88 CRX Si to many cars in between the 17 Focus ST I have now... The Si coupe is calling my name.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
I'm an old guy trying to get real life data on the gen 10 Si as well...might get one before the month is out. I autocross, and have for 30 years in various cars from 88 CRX Si to many cars in between the 17 Focus ST I have now... The Si coupe is calling my name.
Between the 10th gen Si being 10 seconds faster than 9th and 8th gen and being faster than the latest gen Focus ST at the Car and Driver Lightning Lap at VIR it should hopefully get your attention.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Having owned both I think the 8th si feels a bit faster (around town driving). 8th is definitely a lot easier to drive faster. The 10th due to the low red line has you shifting a lot more and sooner, plus turbo lag. 8th is better around town, but I think the 10th takes it once you get up to higher speeds. I feel the 10th can accelerate much better after 70 mph.
It makes no sense to me that a car with much more low-end torque wouldn't feel faster around town as you say

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Torque in the 10th is short lived and comes on in a peak. The 2.0l k series didn't have much torque but the high redline allowed less shifting and felt much livelier. It was also easier to navigate and see out of. It felt lighter even though the weights are about the same.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It makes no sense to me that a car with much more low-end torque wouldn't feel faster around town as you say
I agree, it has less torque and you gotta wring the vtech to get anything out of it... so your driving around town at 6-7ooo RPM?

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I agree, it has less torque and you gotta wring the vtech to get anything out of it... so your driving around town at 6-7ooo RPM?
No - anything over 4k had plenty of go and you could go all the way up to 8k if needed. This is what made it such a fun car to drive.

jrse7en

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2003 CRV
Country flag
Having owned 2003 RSX Type S, 2008 S2000, 2015 Civic SI 4 door, 2017 Civic SI coupe for at least a year and a half. I'd say the 10th gen FEELS the slowest stock car of them all. I have TSP Stage one now and I think it FEELS either on par if not faster than the S2000. Hope that helps.
Sponsored