Is paint cracking normal .

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
So this past weekend is snowed for the first time since I owned my so I haven't had a chance to clean her up but today finally got a chance to do so and as I was wiping the back bumper down I see this.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is paint cracking normal . IMG_3895.JPG
They are not scratches they are cracks in the paint . Anyone else have that problem? And also I'm assuming my only fix is redo paint .

Honda Civic 10th gen Is paint cracking normal . IMG_3894.JPG

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So this past weekend is snowed for the first time since I owned my so I haven't had a chance to clean her up but today finally got a chance to do so and as I was wiping the back bumper down I see this.
IMG_3895.JPG
They are not scratches they are cracks in the paint . Anyone else have that problem? And also I'm assuming my only fix is redo paint .

IMG_3894.JPG
Take it to the dealer have them look at it. they will most likely warranty it. i had the same problem after i wiped down my car and saw the cracks on the paint underneath the driver side headlights . they called me a week later saying my warranty was approved. a week later my car was in the body shop being repainted. this happened back in October for me with about 2,500 miles

OP
OP
Zange

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
Take it to the dealer have them look at it. they will most likely warranty it. i had the same problem after i wiped down my car and saw the cracks on the paint underneath the driver side headlights . they called me a week later saying my warranty was approved. a week later my car was in the body shop being repainted. this happened back in October for me with about 2,500 miles
So I can Alex the dealer and explained my problem they said they would take the car but I would have to keep it there a few days but they won't be able to give me a loaner since I work and would require a car so now I can't send it and wonder how that is possible.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I can Alex the dealer and explained my problem they said they would take the car but I would have to keep it there a few days but they won't be able to give me a loaner since I work and would require a car so now I can't send it and wonder how that is possible.
unfortunately i was in a similar situation with the dealer. they said they didnt have a loaner car available for me at the time and that i would have to wait another week if i wanted one available. luckily i had a second car to use for the week it was there

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cracks like that would tell me someone backed into it.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I would tend to agree with ^.

Paint crack that large and webbed would mean the painted surface would have had to flex quite a bit, which is unlikely due to temperature fluctuations. Unless you hosed your car with scalding water right after driving through a snowstorm, I'd also suspect a hit.

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hijack your thread, but did you just Plastidip the rear Honda emblem black? If so, any tutorial or information about it? I've never used Plastidip, but I think that looks great on a White Orchid Pearl car. :)

OP
OP
Zange

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
I would tend to agree with ^.

Paint crack that large and webbed would mean the painted surface would have had to flex quite a bit, which is unlikely due to temperature fluctuations. Unless you hosed your car with scalding water right after driving through a snowstorm, I'd also suspect a hit.
It normal temp water for sure I didn't use hot water. We had minor snow nothing to bad though the weather in jersey keep fluctuating one week being 20s then next in the 50s then back to 20s I don't think that would do it. As for hit what type of hit would do that and not leave other evidence of being a hit, an a light hit do that? And if so should I still see about taking it to a dealer.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but did you just Plastidip the rear Honda emblem black? If so, any tutorial or information about it? I've never used Plastidip, but I think that looks great on a White Orchid Pearl car. :)
Yes I did I plastidipped everything that is chrome on the touring except for the front emblem which I would like to plastidipped red just haven't had the time to do so. It's very simple I mainly youtubed how people done it and then did a bunch of googling and ended up on this forum

http://www.civicx.com/threads/plastidipping-my-grill.3941/

If you have any question feel free to DM me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is paint cracking normal . IMG_3494.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Is paint cracking normal . AA2A9FE5-C20A-494C-9C27-54307FEC4E3E

Honda Civic 10th gen Is paint cracking normal . IMG_3526.JPG

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Looks to me like you got tagged as well. My MSM Civic got backed into by a family member, and I have the same looking spider cracks in the paint on the top of the bumper. My bumper is otherwise pristine, no signs of impact.

It may have happened at the dealer, or you may have gotten unlucky and got hit while the car was parked. You'll have to take it in to see if they'll do anything about it, but don't be surprised if they refuse to fix it.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It'd be like me giving the bumper a good kick. It wouldn't damage the bumper itself, but the paint will look like that if kicked hard enough.

Since force=mass x accel., to get the same amount of force as a kick, given the huge mass of the car, acceleration (or in this case, simplified, speed), would be very very low.

You can always take it to the dealer but they may just say the same thing. Your best bet would be to find the other threads on here and use that as evidence of sorts.

Good luck, and car looks nice :)

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
It'd be like me giving the bumper a good kick. It wouldn't damage the bumper itself, but the paint will look like that if kicked hard enough.

Since force=mass x accel., to get the same amount of force as a kick, given the huge mass of the car, acceleration (or in this case, simplified, speed), would be very very low.

You can always take it to the dealer but they may just say the same thing. Your best bet would be to find the other threads on here and use that as evidence of sorts.

Good luck, and car looks nice :)
Ya that looks like the bumper was flexed... You can replicate without kicking... You can simply put your foot or any part of your body on it and then just put all your weight on it... Kinda like sitting on your hood... The hood will flex in and you hear the metal bending sound... Then you get up and it flexxes back to its original shape.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Looks to me like you got tagged as well. My MSM Civic got backed into by a family member, and I have the same looking spider cracks in the paint on the top of the bumper. My bumper is otherwise pristine, no signs of impact.

It may have happened at the dealer, or you may have gotten unlucky and got hit while the car was parked. You'll have to take it in to see if they'll do anything about it, but don't be surprised if they refuse to fix it.
Oh with that said... Do yourself a favor if going to the dealer.... Forget you posted here and stick to your original story... A.k.a. act dumb and it musta been the snow...
Sponsored