Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Is my Touring totaled? 20190316_230332
Honda Civic 10th gen Is my Touring totaled? 20190317_101746

2016 Honda Civic Touring
25,000 miles

So I was cut off by a big A$$ Uhaul truck in NYC this past Saint Patrick's day. He hit my

Left passenger door
Quarter panel
Left back wheel is now bent
Rim is damaged
And tore off my back bumper

Do you think my car is totaled? I also don't know how much internal damage there is behind that wheel.

I'm also getting a bunch of sensor errors on my dash like:
EPS not working
Hill Assist
Brake system problem

And a friend of mine who's a mechanic told me that its because the electric steering rack is damaged its electrical component. But isnt that in the front of the car? The car didn't hit anything in the front... would insurance also cover that?

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I would rather they total it, but I would say it will be depend on is there any frame damage...

PS. glad you are ok.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Body damage is really minor considering your unexpected meeting with a U-Haul.
Most of that would be repairable by a competent PDR technician.
Even the paint damage would largely buff out.
Rear suspension is rather fooked, which explains all your sensor errors.
Won’t be too bad to repair, nowhere enough damage to write it off.

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Repair must be more than 50% of current value. Most are under-water cause they never give you much in the end after paying years of premiums.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
That's an "Insurance Adjuster's" duty - to determine actual damage. Let them handle it.
Get claim opened
Set-up a rental
Choose your shop for the repairs and insurance adjuster will validate the claim.

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
that isnt totaled. expect 2-3 week repair time.

markc72

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L w/NAVI
Country flag
I'm not sure why you ask that question here?? Let your insurance company decide that.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Steering rack is in front. Get adifferent mechanic. Dont think its totalled.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
That is not totaled at all. What i'm about to say are Canadian pricing, the 2019 EX in Canada is about 26500 MSRP, let's say the 2016 is about 25500 MSRP, did a quick search in second hand market, most of the 2016 EX are priced around 18k to 20k.

So unless it would come to 18k worth of repair after being evaluated, there is no way insurance would write the car off...
You're right, there could be other damages that aren't found yet. but I doubt your case will cost more than 15k CAD to repair.

Coming from experience, never let the insurance choose the repair shop for you, unless you really cannot find a trust worthy mechanic on your own.

Open the claim, document everything and deal with the insurance claim adjuster. Where I live it's a no-fault policy province...which sucks ass because insurance would still see you as higher risk because whether you're at fault or not, your insurance paid.

P.S. I'm just gonna take this chance to rant a bit more lol, with the amount of dumb drivers and pot holes in my area, it's almost not worth it to have nice things....lol

OP
OP
Maxara Faxa

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That is not totaled at all. What i'm about to say are Canadian pricing, the 2019 EX in Canada is about 26500 MSRP, let's say the 2016 is about 25500 MSRP, did a quick search in second hand market, most of the 2016 EX are priced around 18k to 20k.

So unless it would come to 18k worth of repair after being evaluated, there is no way insurance would write the car off...
You're right, there could be other damages that aren't found yet. but I doubt your case will cost more than 15k CAD to repair.

Coming from experience, never let the insurance choose the repair shop for you, unless you really cannot find a trust worthy mechanic on your own.

Open the claim, document everything and deal with the insurance claim adjuster. Where I live it's a no-fault policy province...which sucks ass because insurance would still see you as higher risk because whether you're at fault or not, your insurance paid.

P.S. I'm just gonna take this chance to rant a bit more lol, with the amount of dumb drivers and pot holes in my area, it's almost not worth it to have nice things....lol
So true, I remember when I first bought this car I was afraid of the tiniest scratch...at this point I'm just sorta heart broken. My next car would definately be an old jeep or whatever lol

OP
OP
Maxara Faxa

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Called insurance, adjuster said he doesn't know if its totaled or not until he sees the car. But he did say not to take it to the dealership now because it won't sense of it is totaled. He wants to come take a look at the car by my place.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
No, why do you guys think the tiniest things total your car? This involves typical bodywork, and a few suspension components. Plus an alignment.
Bam. Like new.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Called insurance, adjuster said he doesn't know if its totaled or not until he sees the car. But he did say not to take it to the dealership now because it won't sense of it is totaled. He wants to come take a look at the car by my place.
Yeah that's how it works usually, unless your car was undrivable upon the accident and had to be towed to a yard or a garage right away, the insurance adjuster will visit you at your place to evaluate the damage and create a report for the repair estimation. Often insurance has a third party appraiser to do the job. But remember you can also get it estimated by a certified mechanics that you trust and let him deal with the claim adjuster for this portion of the claim. The adjuster just receive the numbers and analyze the accident to see who is at fault and how will things be paid.

take your time and be patient, you're also allowed to ask for a rental car during the repair period. (provided that you insured such coverage)

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
No, why do you guys think the tiniest things total your car? This involves typical bodywork, and a few suspension components. Plus an alignment.
Bam. Like new.
its my thinking that the ones who think the tiniest things will total their car are the ones who really dont want that car anymore.

an accident is their way out of the car they dont love anymore. :cry:
Sponsored