jamesbond4678

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex-t
Country flag
That blew up quickly. First off to answer some questions. I got the car last may, by July the pipe between the resonator and frontpipe was cut off, not unbolted (huge mistake) and in november I unbolted and removed the front pipe. Never had issues with it. I took the spark plugs back out and found that the white ceramic peice had broken. That plug was black while the rest look new. Went to the store and got it replaced and it ran fine. Second question, I have heard everyone and their mothers opinion about exaust and back pressure. How exactly does removing restriction make it breathe worse?
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So where did you buy your first set of plugs that broke? Second, it the ceramic was broke, did you find the broken piece? Otherwise your next post is going to be, "My engine did blow" from that ceramic piece bouncing around inside the engine

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That blew up quickly. First off to answer some questions. I got the car last may, by July the pipe between the resonator and frontpipe was cut off, not unbolted (huge mistake) and in november I unbolted and removed the front pipe. Never had issues with it. I took the spark plugs back out and found that the white ceramic peice had broken. That plug was black while the rest look new. Went to the store and got it replaced and it ran fine. Second question, I have heard everyone and their mothers opinion about exaust and back pressure. How exactly does removing restriction make it breathe worse?
You can read all about how exhaust velocity is important as the engine is an air pump and how the hot exhaust moving and cooling down a length of pipe helps draw the exhaust out so the exhaust is out of the air pump and it can keep working effectively. A loss of exhaust velocity will, in turn, cause a loss of intake air velocity and kill torque. On a N/A engine... that relys totally on vacuum to work, itā€™s likely more pronounced than getting the ā€˜cheatā€™ with a turbo. Coming off idle w/o boost might still suck. Also (and this is mostly a small engine thing) if you straight pull your exhaust off the manifold, exhaust isnā€™t anyways uniformly moving away from the engine... but pulsing with the piston. You can actually pull air back slightly into the engine and against the exhaust valves where unburnt fuel resides. Youā€™ll get some wicket popping and supposedly itā€™s the unburnt fuel combusting in the presence on stupid hot exhaust valves... fuel and the newly introduced oxygen. The result is burnt up exhaust valves. Youā€™ve still got a manifold, turbo and down pipe I expect... so that length ought to keep that from happening. Not sure if the O2 sensors are getting anything making it back that far. Doubt it. But when you pull the exhaust off a small engine... the valve is pretty much right there.

Lots of vids on the ā€˜proper exhaust sizingā€™. Iā€™m not a big believer in back pressure either... but having a proper exhaust system is going to cause some back pressure to exist, and allow exhaust gas scavenging to occur. Watch the Engineering Explained video on the subject. He does a decent job explaining it.

OP
OP

jamesbond4678

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex-t
Country flag
So where did you buy your first set of plugs that broke? Second, it the ceramic was broke, did you find the broken piece? Otherwise your next post is going to be, "My engine did blow" from that ceramic piece bouncing around inside the engine
So it didnt exactly break, it broke loose but no peice is inside the engine. The ceramic bit was free and sliding around. When it was in the engine the position it slid to made so there was no gap around the electrode.

OP
OP

jamesbond4678

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex-t
Country flag
You can read all about how exhaust velocity is important as the engine is an air pump and how the hot exhaust moving and cooling down a length of pipe helps draw the exhaust out so the exhaust is out of the air pump and it can keep working effectively. A loss of exhaust velocity will, in turn, cause a loss of intake air velocity and kill torque. On a N/A engine... that relys totally on vacuum to work, itā€™s likely more pronounced than getting the ā€˜cheatā€™ with a turbo. Coming off idle w/o boost might still suck. Also (and this is mostly a small engine thing) if you straight pull your exhaust off the manifold, exhaust isnā€™t anyways uniformly moving away from the engine... but pulsing with the piston. You can actually pull air back slightly into the engine and against the exhaust valves where unburnt fuel resides. Youā€™ll get some wicket popping and supposedly itā€™s the unburnt fuel combusting in the presence on stupid hot exhaust valves... fuel and the newly introduced oxygen. The result is burnt up exhaust valves. Youā€™ve still got a manifold, turbo and down pipe I expect... so that length ought to keep that from happening. Not sure if the O2 sensors are getting anything making it back that far. Doubt it. But when you pull the exhaust off a small engine... the valve is pretty much right there.

Lots of vids on the ā€˜proper exhaust sizingā€™. Iā€™m not a big believer in back pressure either... but having a proper exhaust system is going to cause some back pressure to exist, and allow exhaust gas scavenging to occur. Watch the Engineering Explained video on the subject. He does a decent job explaining it.
I'm new to this, and I havent heard an engine described as an air pump before but it makes sense and helps me understand. I'm going to put on a catless PRL front and down pipe and then a full cat back system as my next mods.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
As long as its so long as not to flame and burn any engine part that you need, It may work OK, but... don't you smell exhaust inside the car and aren't you afraid of CO?

Last edited:

fnb1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5T Prestige
Country flag
What brand of Sparkplugs did you use?? Sounds like it could be a factory fault in that sparkplug.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok where did you buy the plugs?
Sponsored