Is it worth it to put performance parts on the CVT Civics????

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic hatchback EX
I am really wrestling here guys. Is it worth it to mod my hatchback ex with the performance mods? reading all the stuff from hondata and Ktuner with everyone saying the cvt is limited and you cant really even take the cvt on the ride to maximize what you can do with the engine and turbo is disheartening. It really make me want to sell the hatchback and move into a manual or even a manual of a different brand. i dunno if i am the only one feeling this way. when i got the car i had such high hopes for all the tuning possibilities but i fell flat on my face when i heard the manuals were going to be the one to take this engine to infinity and beyond haha.

Is anyone out there that knows/doing any cvt trans mods? like somehow going in and modding the cvt so that i could handle 250-350 hp or hell even a second turbo? imagine a twin turbo cvt civic hahaha. i dunno if am being stupid or just naive...i am new to hondas and new to cars stuff in general.
what are your thoughts? I am doing this for me and also for my youtube channel. i want to do stuff to the car people will want to do and show them that they can....i guess i dont like being told i can only go so far with what i have....dunno if that makes sense....
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CVT has its limits but there is a lot of fun to be had. I don't think you'd be disappointed with an ECU tune.

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The CVT has its limits but there is a lot of fun to be had. I don't think you'd be disappointed with an ECU tune.

so for the cvt do you think it is not necessary to put a catless downpipe, cold air intake, better intercooler stuff to the hatch...
just do the ecu flash and call it good?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A quality intake will net solid gains. I'd research the downpipe, you don't need any more torque but if it gives you HP gains up top it may be good too. IC will just depend on your intended use. The stock IC isn't terrible.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I made awesome power with the CVT with a tuner and e85. Even on pump gas at 23-24psi. It's night and day compared to stock.

I was running around 24psi with 10-11ign. I would say around 280-300tq. I was pushing the CVT way pass the limit and it held up great at the time. As for how long who knows. Hondata or KTuner basemaps are save on the CVT

Prl is coming out with a turbo upgrade. That will help with the CVT .as it will make less tq but more hp at the top range

Last edited:

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
A quality intake will net solid gains. I'd research the downpipe, you don't need any more torque but if it gives you HP gains up top it may be good too. IC will just depend on your intended use. The stock IC isn't terrible.
Thanks bro! I am just trying to find a way for myself and the rest of the cvt people

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I made awesome power with the CVT with a tuner and e85. Even on pump gas at 23-24psi. It's night and day compared to stock.

I was running around 24psi with 10-11ign. I would say around 280-300tq. I was pushing the CVT way pass the limit and it held up great at the time. As for how long who knows. Hondata or KTuner basemaps are save on the CVT

Prl is coming out with a turbo upgrade. That will help with the CVT .as it will make less tq but more hp at the top range
How long ago were you running that? Also I think I’m my area we only get pump gas but in the city I know there is E85. What about the turbo upgrade will help the cvt? Will it just be stronger parts or belt?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
How long ago were you running that? Also I think I’m my area we only get pump gas but in the city I know there is E85. What about the turbo upgrade will help the cvt? Will it just be stronger parts or belt?
I ran e85 for a few months than traded it in
It will make less tq but more Hp and move the peak tq at the upper rpm. So it be less stress on the belt .

OP
OP
hondanoob87

hondanoob87

BLP3 MOTORS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I ran e85 for a few months than traded it in
It will make less tq but more Hp and move the peak tq at the upper rpm. So it be less stress on the belt .
I am def interested in this development! what performance path do you suggest i take with the EX? it is bone stock at
the moment.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I am def interested in this development! what performance path do you suggest i take with the EX? it is bone stock at
the moment.
That's up to you on how far you want to push the CVT

A tuner is enough to put the CVT at the limits.

If you want other bolts on then I would recommend a downpipe and a PRL Cobra intake

If money isn't a concern then get everything you want.

As for suspension , I have no clue in this since I usually just keep it stock or springs. I don't race.
Sponsored