Whitecivicx92

First Name
Jndn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hit a deer on the highway this morning, pulled over and could not keep driving due to the bumper being smashed into my wheel and a burning smell emiting from the engine. I turned it off and they came and towed it. I won't know for a few days what will happen- but curious about what you guys think. I still owe 21k on this car (bought it new in 2017) and had carried over 7k in negative equity from my last car. That's why I still owe so much. Airbags did not deploy..

But my car has 106k miles. so wasn't sure if they go by the actual value (its around 9/10k on kbb) or if they go by what I owe to determine if they want to repair it or not. I DO have gap insurance thank god.

2017 Honda Civic LX with 106k miles for reference.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it totaled.. 20200203_024133
Sponsored

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
Thank god for the gap, you madman throwing on wheels on a budget haha. I can't really tell from here, but if it bent the uni-body under the fender it is probably totaled. Taken any looks under the hood?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Likely totalled. I slightly hit a deer and insurance said it was totaled after their estimate.

The problem is how Honda sells their parts; my apron on my radiator support is bent, but I have to buy the entire radiator support.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it totaled.. 20200128_062318

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it totaled.. 20200129_135310

OP
OP

Whitecivicx92

First Name
Jndn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Thank god for the gap, you madman throwing on wheels on a budget haha. I can't really tell from here, but if it bent the uni-body under the fender it is probably totaled. Taken any looks under the hood?

What do you mean throwing on wheels on a budget? I didn't pay retail for the wheels, snagged them off of CL for 300 haha. And I took a quick glance under the hood, it pushed things on the drivers side back a little.

OP
OP

Whitecivicx92

First Name
Jndn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Likely totalled. I slightly hit a deer and insurance said it was totaled after their estimate.

The problem is how Honda sells their parts; my apron on my radiator support is bent, but I have to buy the entire radiator support.

20200128_062318.jpg

20200129_135310.jpg
Damn, that's not even that bad. Did your airbags deploy?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
What do you mean throwing on wheels on a budget? I didn't pay retail for the wheels, snagged them off of CL for 300 haha. And I took a quick glance under the hood, it pushed things on the drivers side back a little.
This car has a lot of crumple zones; good for safety, bad for repair.

May be looking at a bent subframe and strut towers.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
I was just giving you shit. I put wheels on my car when money wasn't super plentiful haha. Does the motor look like it moved at all? If it did that probably will seal the deal.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Damn, that's not even that bad. Did your airbags deploy?
Nope.

I saw 4 deer on the right side of the road around a corner, slowed down, then BAM! The fifth decided to cross the road while I was watching the other 4.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Hit a deer on the highway this morning, pulled over and could not keep driving due to the bumper being smashed into my wheel and a burning smell emiting from the engine. I turned it off and they came and towed it. I won't know for a few days what will happen- but curious about what you guys think. I still owe 21k on this car (bought it new in 2017) and had carried over 7k in negative equity from my last car. That's why I still owe so much. Airbags did not deploy..

But my car has 106k miles. so wasn't sure if they go by the actual value (its around 9/10k on kbb) or if they go by what I owe to determine if they want to repair it or not. I DO have gap insurance thank god.

2017 Honda Civic LX with 106k miles for reference.

20200203_024133.jpg
This is how I see it (not an expert on insurance :coffee:). That depends who is "they". If you have gap insurance from the same source, they may look at the total amount they have to pay. So this could bias the decision towards repair. If you owe 21k depending on specific policy conditions, they could treat your as if was almost a new car. Which still does not necessarily mean it won't be totaled. Insurance companies also may have their own limits based on actual car value, and there might also be regulations on the maximum actual car value fraction that can be legally repaired in some states. But if you have the gap insurance from the dealer (which might have been rolled into the price), then it shouldn't affect the decision of your insurer, and if they total the car, your gap insurer should pay on top of this.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
dude, you where 7k NEGATIVE on your trade in, you don't have money to be wasting on rims. Get your priorities straight man, do you want to always be in debt?

I would say totaled most likely, had the airbags deployed that would have guaranteed it.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
dude, you where 7k NEGATIVE on your trade in, you don't have money to be wasting on rims. Get your priorities straight man, do you want to always be in debt?

I would say totaled most likely, had the airbags deployed that would have guaranteed it.
Worst advice I've received was from my automatic trans professor; "They can't take it form you if you're dead." This got me into a lot of dept and still trying to fix my credit score.

Smh

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
$700 OE

$233 from car-parts.com
Only missing a small clip holding the lenses to the lamp. No big deal.

Commence happy dance!

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it totaled.. 20200204_215326

SavageOrange

Raise Hell Eat Cornbread
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 BMW S100RR, 2014 Ridgeline Sport
Country flag
I would think it would be based solely on my opinion. Hard to really tell, but it doesn't look good for the home team.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
The truth is that nobody here can tell you if it's totaled or not. Only after an in-person inspection of the vehicle will you learn of the fate. Air bags not deploying is a good sign but not the sole event that determines whether the car is totaled.

I hope this turns out in your favor. Deer suck. I've hit two of them and as a result, one of my vehicles ended up being totaled.
Sponsored