Is it possible to detune for fuel economy?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Will there be a future tune that will detune for better fuel economy? Is that possible?
Sponsored

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The short answer is no. You can reduce boost, but that is the same as just taking it easier on the throttle a little. The engine runs stoichiometric lambda below about 3500 rpm, so there's no gain in efficiency there. Cam angles and VTEC are optimized from the factory. So no, you're not going to see any real gains in fuel economy from tuning.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Should have bought/ or should buy an Si if fuel economy was that important that you would consider detuning the Type R. Really is gasoline in North America (cheapest in the world) that expensive that you would consider detuning a 4-cylinder engine? Sheesh.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I care less about the cost, but the range. I'm filling up about every 4.5 to 5 days at 290+ miles hypermiling it almost. People at the "range" thread are saying 200 to 280 miles per tank. Given that the Type-R and my Prelude has the same MPG rating and the Prelude's tank holds 3 more gallons, I figure a more realistic type-r range is around 240 maybe (or less?). So a better range is always better.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
The smaller capacity tank helps reduce weight but yeah means the range takes a hit. I actually prefer to drive with a half tank max to cut weight further, not that 5 or 6 gallons of liquid weight is even noticeable. It’s as much a mental thing, that i’m driving light.

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The smaller capacity tank helps reduce weight but yeah means the range takes a hit. I actually prefer to drive with a half tank max to cut weight further, not that 5 or 6 gallons of liquid weight is even noticeable. It’s as much a mental thing, that i’m driving light.
Here's something to f with your mind more. The less fuel you put in, the less front-rear balance the car is. :doh:

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I care less about the cost, but the range. I'm filling up about every 4.5 to 5 days at 290+ miles hypermiling it almost. People at the "range" thread are saying 200 to 280 miles per tank. Given that the Type-R and my Prelude has the same MPG rating and the Prelude's tank holds 3 more gallons, I figure a more realistic type-r range is around 240 maybe (or less?). So a better range is always better.
Curious, but why’d you opt for a Type R? There are literally dozens of more economical, comfortable performance sedans in the R’s price range that would suit your needs. Do you ever plan to take the car to the track?

OP
OP
bikejog

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Curious, but why’d you opt for a Type R? There are literally dozens of more economical, comfortable performance sedans in the R’s price range that would suit your needs. Do you ever plan to take the car to the track?
I'm considering a few others such as SI, Golf R/GTI and WRX. But I'm interested to hear what other alternatives are out there that are: in the price range, front or AWD and not Korean. And no an Accord 2.0T Sport is not a fun car as those mentioned and it's huge.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm considering a few others such as SI, Golf R/GTI and WRX. But I'm interested to hear what other alternatives are out there that are: in the price range, front or AWD and not Korean. And no an Accord 2.0T Sport is not a fun car as those mentioned and it's huge.
Chevy Bolt, Model 3 or Nissan Leaf.... you can thank me later.

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Honda has been doing Lean Burn for quite some time, yes I think it is possible to tune for fuel eco. Just need to find someone willing.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
As others have said.... It's probably possible but the time involved will be lengthy and very car specific. Different engines react to leaner mixtures in different ways. You could definitely find some extra mileage on 93.

The range does suck but the car gets really good mileage in comparision to other DIT cars that actually are fun.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Lean tuning part throttle has been a thing since Crome.

Unfortunately it sounds like Hondata is saying that the stock ECU uses fundamentally different tuning paradigm from previous Hondas.

Older Honda's you could tune the fuel and ignition maps directly, from what I am reading on Bosch ECU tuning and some of the things Hondata has said, we won't be able to fine tune those tables directly.

If you really want that level of control, you might need to look into a standalone ECU.

Once Hondata releases the hardware, I will probably be looking at the software to see what they've been able to give us control over before buying.

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
Will there be a future tune that will detune for better fuel economy? Is that possible?
change your driving style

specs said my previous 2008 type R was supposed to get around 18 mpg in urban cycle. owners said the figure was optimistic in real world
I was getting 25+ easily

the highway difference would not be that huge because there is not much you can do on the highway.

but if your mileage is mostly highway - why do you even looking for type R? it is like buying a go-kart to start your own trucking company

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
When cruising I can get b/w 32-34+ mpg. But Would be awesome if we could flip to a max economy map, like 45+mpg for long distance!
Sponsored