Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I you just add minimal mods like say a CAI and intercooler and go with something like a Phearable 1.5 OTS tune, it would make a great daily. You have 3 different levels of power switchable on the fly, better turbo and throttle response. You can setup boost by gear to protect things a bit, have advanced traction control available and can remove rev hang. It's a huge improvement over stock although it will pale to your tuned Mustang GT.

You certainly can go full bolt ons and a custom flex fuel tune that will give you big power but reliability will likely go down.

Side note: The clutch can't handle huge amounts of power.

I have a large reliability thread (link in my sig) if you want to check it out. I will say if the 150K+ reliable miles number is your goal, to be on the safe side, stay stock.
Sponsored

TheOldMan

First Name
J. F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mini Convertible, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here is my take. If like me this is your daily driver, than I would not tune it past Ktuner (TSP Stage 1 tune) because even if you use Map 1 only it makes the car drive much better. As far as bolt-ons, I would stay away from them except maybe an upgraded performance Intercooler. That's my opinion on the matter
Showing my age here (I am the old man after all and modifications for me began with drilling out the jets) but is the process in applying/installing something like this:

https://www.twostepperformance.com/...or-the-2017-2018-2019-and-2020-honda-civic-si

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions on a discussion that my co-worker and I had the other day that kind of stuck to me.

We all love the Si because the car as a whole is a very good bang for the buck daily driver. For me, it definitely makes the daily commutes much more fun.

The question is, do you guys feel it's worth it to put money in this car to increase performance?

Basically, my co-worker argued that if you want serious performance, get a performance car. If you want serious power, get a V8. Yeah, he's one of those guys.

My argument was that performance doesn't mean straight up HP and torque figures. However, it did occur to me that a lot of us Si owners already purchased expensive bolt-ons and tuning solutions for just a hair more performance.

The average Si owner may get an intake, downpipe, exhaust and a tune. Now, with those items alone, the Si is definitely a different car and much more powerful. However, let's say you put that money on a turbo kit and tune on an 8th or 9th gen Si, an Evo or even a Gti? Or as my co-worker said, get a 5.0 and call it a day.

Do you guys feel like it's still worth it? Personally, I'm happy with the TSP tune I have, but I also feel like for the same amount of money spent on let's say WRX, more power can be had.
WRX are wack and like GTman said they ride like garbage, have noisy garbage interiors. i would still with what you have. i personally have exhaust, intake, TIP, and nothing else at this point. been debating since 2017 whether to get a Ktuner or not, i dont drive much at all WFH so the wifey drives my girl more than i do.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm well aware of the risks. Rev hang delete can create oil instability and subsequent oil loss. Advanced VSA can eat away at the cat if used too frequently. And the extra midrange torque can place unwanted strain on the rods and clutch. I mitigate by using a high stability oil, checking oil level regularly, minimizing wheel slip in wet environments, and keeping throttle conservative under 3K rpms.
Okay, so I've owned my Si for 6 years now.

I have never heard of rev hang delete possibly creating oil instability and subsequent oil loss. Never heard of advanced VSA eating away at the cat either.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Okay, so I've owned my Si for 6 years now.

I have never heard of rev hang delete possibly creating oil instability and subsequent oil loss. Never heard of advanced VSA eating away at the cat either.
VSA does damage the cat if you use it too much and on an aggressive setting. Cause it pulls ignition timing and that richens your exhaust mixture, the cat has to work harder to clean the exhaust. Been proven on many platforms. It doesn't mean your cat will be done in a year but it will be done faster than without using it.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
VSA does damage the cat if you use it too much and on an aggressive setting. Cause it pulls ignition timing and that richens your exhaust mixture, the cat has to work harder to clean the exhaust. Been proven on many platforms. It doesn't mean your cat will be done in a year but it will be done faster than without using it.
Interesting, never knew that, thanks. I luckily don’t do advanced VSA and just do the half setting, even in auto cross.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Interesting, never knew that, thanks. I luckily don’t do advanced VSA and just do the half setting, even in auto cross.
forgot about that mode actually, might be worth trying this year for autox.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Here is the difference. A custom tune by E-tunez vs stock ECU. Bolt on‘s are an Injen SRI and a non catted Skunk 2 downpipe/front pipe. Stock catback exhaust. The graph speaks for itself. Note these are uncorrected wheel torque and power And back to back runs, one reflashed to stock ECU, the other the E-Tunez.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is it even worth tuning the Si? IMG_0042

Last edited:

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
My last tuned Honda (2007 non Si) had 245k miles when I wrecked it. The one before that (1987 CRX Si) had 324,000 miles.
I think this car is good the way it is. I didn't buy it to compete with WRX's. STi's, Mustangs and Chargers. I know some of my fellow CivicX buddies are going to disagree, but if you want a high performance car, buy one that was built for high performance in the first place, that is unless that is your hobby to try and pull out all the power you can from this engine. I have no issue spending a few hundred dollars to make some improvements, but that's about it for me. I want this car to last at least 150K

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
The way i see it these days there are people who install parts is to gain instagram followers, i know i might get bashed for this but deep inside you know that this is true!
I don’t do instagram. Or Facebook, or X

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Here is the difference. A custom tune by E-tunez vs stock ECU. Bolt on‘s are an Injen SRI and a non catted Skunk 2 downpipe/front pipe. Stock catback exhaust. The graph speaks for itself. Note these are uncorrected wheel torque and power And back to back runs, one reflashed to stock ECU, the other the E-Tunez.
IMG_0042.jpeg
Why use the injen sri instead of a prl?

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Because that’s what I bought…. In hindsight I probably woulda bought a PRL.
Yeah, I’ve read about fuel trim levels being off when using injen. That’s why I asked but it seems like yours is one of the exceptions. 👍
Sponsored