Is it even worth tuning the Si?

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
The only modification you shoud do is in my signature.

Its now freaking perfect
Sponsored

Reactions: mjh
OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Like I said, I would love to delete the rev-hang as well as a few more HP. However, I myself am not a DIY person, I would not want to mess with ECU settings without fully understanding the parameters and their impacts.

I used to do my own oil changes in my younger days. In Toronto, Honda oil changes are not too expensive. They charge $65CAN for an oil change while the cost for Honda oil and filter alone would cost $56CAN.

I know Honda OE oil is not the best but since I usually change oil at MM=30% left, any 0w20 oil would work.
I tell you, if you know how to work a laptop (basic stuff) and can plug something into the bottom of your dashboard, you can install a tune yourself in about 15-20 minutes. It's super simple. Also, it's a set it and forget procedure and you will not be messing with anything once it's done. Simply tune and enjoy.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Thought about it but here I am going on three years later and it's all stock; only upgrade I may consider is the trade in for Pilot upgrade.

Just dad things.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
It depends on your needs. I had V8 powered pony cars in my early 20's to early 30's. With the SI I wanted something practical with 6 year old son and wife for roads trips and daily drive.

I'm a car guy and love modding, turbo 4 or high powered V8 etc. I even came close to buying a brand new V10 BMW M5 12 years back. Would have nodded that too lol.

The SI is great as a daily drive and there is a decent aftermarket parts support. So far have done cat-back exhaust and AEM air filter. It makes enough power for me and I love the handling too!

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just tend to mod anything I own honestly.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I just tend to mod anything I own honestly.

I'd just like a little more power so the car can be complete and where it should be. Already has very good handling @.97G. A mild tune to make the car more drivable would be great. Clean up the power band, delete the annoying rev hang and possibly add a pound or two of boost in sport mode. It's a daily driver and I'm not looking to go crazy or make the thing loud.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my opinion? No. I've got a ktuner, used it for a month then removed it because I felt it threw off the balance of the car (along with annihilating my mpg). Bone stock, it's quick with great handling. Once one thing is upgraded more cash will need to be applied to keep it in balance. All I've done thus far since the ktuner is throw in an intake for a bit more noise and performance. I realize I'm in the minority but if I wanted the torque and MPG drop a tune provides, I'd have bought a more powerful car to begin with. Just my opinion, YMMV.
I think this is a fresh take. Though I have many mods in mind, I haven’t done any yet partially because the car is fantastic as it is from Honda.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'd just like a little more power so the car can be complete and where it should be. Already has very good handling @.97G. A mild tune to make the car more drivable would be great. Clean up the power band, delete the annoying rev hang and possibly add a pound or two of boost in sport mode. It's a daily driver and I'm not looking to go crazy or make the thing loud.
What are you waiting for? The tunes that come with KTuner and Hondata are safe and conservative and will do exactly what you want. KTuner will give you a bit more in the way of quick and easy adjustments to "fine tune" your setup. No other mod needed for what you want to do. It's the best $500 or so you can spend on your car IMO.

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What are you waiting for? The tunes that come with KTuner and Hondata are safe and conservative and will do exactly what you want. KTuner will give you a bit more in the way of quick and easy adjustments to "fine tune" your setup. No other mod needed for what you want to do. It's the best $500 or so you can spend on your car IMO.
Will the "conservative" tunes decrease long-term reliability?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
No one can predict that 100%. But the question is, does that mean 175,000 versus, say, 200,000+ miles? I waited about 10 months to tune and have been tuned with both Hondata and KTuner base tunes (and now TSP Stage 1) for a year and a half. The difference in driveability is astounding.

I'll repeat what I tell members who say they'll wait til the drivetrain warranty is up. "Five years is a long time to wait to truly enjoy your car". Believe me, tuned, these cars really wake up.

And remember, you don't have to up the boost all that much over stock if all you want is reduced lag, better throttle response and no rev hang, for example.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag

I'm trying to get well informed on the car before making any changes to the tune. From past experience, you have to be careful playing with boost. I blew up my old Z running a few extra pounds of boost. The entire neighborhood would be filled with smoke from just turning the car on for 30 seconds lolz

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Depends how you drive the car. If you beat on it and never check datalogs or perform oil analysis or any preventative maintenance.....

I have owned several modded cars. I feel the risk is worth the reward. I do not beat on my car. I do periodically check datalogs. I get IOA from Blackstone periodically. I change filters and fluids ahead of the maintenance schedule. When I was less experienced and drove my car harder I did it more often. Now as I am older and mostly drive easy with a little bit of spirited driving, I change stuff a bit less often, but still well ahead of the failure point.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I'm trying to get well informed on the car before making any changes to the tune. From past experience, you have to be careful playing with boost. I blew up my old Z running a few extra pounds of boost. The entire neighborhood would be filled with smoke from just turning the car on for 30 seconds lolz
What year, model, and trim was your "old Z"? If you take an NA engine and convert to FI, most do not last. If you take an FI engine and add additional boost without properly tuning, most do not last. In either situation, "a little extra boost" can easily lead to leaning out which is a surefire way to damage an engine.

I had a 2002 Mazda Protege ES, i put a T3/.60AR housing on it and tuned to 9psi. When it occasionally spiked to 10 or 11 it felt faster and I didn't know enough back then to realize it was leaning out. It grenaded one night with 3 holes in the block. I learned the hard way. Now I know that if a car does something unexpected it should either be parked until addressed, or driven very very easy.

svizcarra

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX SI
Country flag
My 2019 SI makes enough power for me. Streets in Miami are always busy! Chances to pull are few and far between. That being said no one is pulling away from me and most can't keep up in traffic! The car is a blast!

gmalkmus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I'm not sure about tuning my 2019. I have a 2015 Mustang GT with carless long tube headers, full 3" exhaust, big-ass air intake, 305/35 R19's all around, and a 93 tune. That thing feels like an absolute rocket compared to the Si. I'd love to get some more power out of the Si, but it is my daily and I really would like to get 150k out of it. How reliable can I keep it with just a tune?
Sponsored