Is it even worth tuning the Si?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
In my opinion? No. I've got a ktuner, used it for a month then removed it because I felt it threw off the balance of the car (along with annihilating my mpg). Bone stock, it's quick with great handling. Once one thing is upgraded more cash will need to be applied to keep it in balance. All I've done thus far since the ktuner is throw in an intake for a bit more noise and performance. I realize I'm in the minority but if I wanted the torque and MPG drop a tune provides, I'd have bought a more powerful car to begin with. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Which map were you using and how much did your highway mpg go down?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience, MPG's stay the same at cruising speed. Put your foot into it and MPG's fall off a cliff but that's to be expected considering the power increase.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Which map were you using and how much did your highway mpg go down?
Average dropped from 38-40 to 32-34. Was using the 19/21.5 map I believe. Heavy foot didn't help but even long highway cruises didn't bring it back up where it used to be. Just wasn't my cup of tea, more power (pun intended) to those who use it and enjoy it.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
In my experience, MPG's stay the same at cruising speed. Put your foot into it and MPG's fall off a cliff but that's to be expected considering the power increase.
Yup, no reason a tune alone should have much impact on cruising MPG. I see low 40s w/ the Ktuner 19.5/21.5 map cruising at 75 mph.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
In my opinion? No. I've got a ktuner, used it for a month then removed it because I felt it threw off the balance of the car (along with annihilating my mpg). Bone stock, it's quick with great handling. Once one thing is upgraded more cash will need to be applied to keep it in balance. All I've done thus far since the ktuner is throw in an intake for a bit more noise and performance. I realize I'm in the minority but if I wanted the torque and MPG drop a tune provides, I'd have bought a more powerful car to begin with. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Driver mod needed. TSP Stg1 map 3 mostly in normal, occasionally stomped on in sport. Consistently over 40mpg tank to tank.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it even worth tuning the Si? 20190821_181313

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I alternate MAPerformance and tsp. Tsp stage 1 map 2 is better than 3 imo, and maperformance is the bees knees with early spool punchier delivery.

Either way, tuning made my si feel as fast as my sti, so it could save you $8k lol. Driver mod needed or new tires if you drive it like an sti tho. Bunny hopping is stupid real on tsp map 3 in sport

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Driver mod needed. TSP Stg1 map 3 mostly in normal, occasionally stomped on in sport. Consistently over 40mpg tank to tank.
I'm happy it's working for you. Wasn't for me, no need to mod any further. :)

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I'm happy it's working for you. Wasn't for me, no need to mod any further. :)
Fair enough. Sounds like the engineers at Honda had you squarely targeted with perfection. You're quite fortunate. Most of us felt the need to change the tune or a few parts. Stock is boring to some but ideal for others. I look forward to seeing your viewpoint shared in future posts.

:coffee:

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly, the first test drive of this car I felt like the engineers built it for me. It doesn't check every box, but enough that I smile every time I drive it. Performance/handling wise, it reminds me quite a bit of my '05 GTI which was one of my favorite cars. The last car I owned that I heavily modified was my '01 Neon... After intake, exhaust, underdrive, suspension, etc... etc... etc... I decided that if I wanted a new car, I should find something I would be satisfied driving with minimal tweaks. It's all about personal preference, every time I see someone post here that they just got their Civic and immediately list off a dozen modifications they want, it seems completely foreign to me. I won't judge though, some of the things I see being done with these cars is inspiring. Hell, if I had the time and money i'd love to stuff the guts from a Type-R into an Si for the sheer sleeper aspect, but that's a conversation for another day. :)

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Out of all your responses, it sounds like the answer is a resounding Yes. I agree with you all about tuning the Si is indeed worth it. The TSP stage 1 tune alone is the best money you can spend outside of grippier tires.

I mean sure, it would be nice to have a 500 HP car, but when can you actually unleash that power on your day to day commute?

Edit: Co-worker still thinks that for $20k, a used Mustang GT is still the way to go for performance to Dollar value. But he now understands that pure HP alone does not a fun car make.

Reactions: mjh

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
You are absolutely correct !! The Si is built as a unit. Add or subtract from one area simply throws off the balance and once that occurs it's a constant battle to regain what you once had.

Fathomless

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Out of all your responses, it sounds like the answer is a resounding Yes. I agree with you all about tuning the Si is indeed worth it. The TSP stage 1 tune alone is the best money you can spend outside of grippier tires.

I mean sure, it would be nice to have a 500 HP car, but when can you actually unleash that power on your day to day commute?

Edit: Co-worker still thinks that for $20k, a used Mustang GT is still the way to go for performance to Dollar value. But he now understands that pure HP alone does not a fun car make.
From a straight HP aspect yea I can see that. However if you factor in anything else at all, not so much. (Mpg, handling, inclement weather driving, reliability, uniqueness, daily driving fun, resale, etc)

Then again there is a reason I belong to Civic X website and not Teenage Girl Sports Car Review, so take it for what you will.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
It depends on the purpose of your car, in my case my SI is my daily, i don't want to sacrifice comfort and reliability by adding more bolt ons. Downpipe, Exhaust & RMM is no no for me.

Anyway i don't see a reason why i will be pushing 240+hp in LA Traffic :dunno:
Rear motor mount makes car less reliable?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Like I said, I would love to delete the rev-hang as well as a few more HP. However, I myself am not a DIY person, I would not want to mess with ECU settings without fully understanding the parameters and their impacts.

I used to do my own oil changes in my younger days. In Toronto, Honda oil changes are not too expensive. They charge $65CAN for an oil change while the cost for Honda oil and filter alone would cost $56CAN.

I know Honda OE oil is not the best but since I usually change oil at MM=30% left, any 0w20 oil would work.
Sponsored

Last edited: