Is it even worth tuning the Si?

1. Micah

Micah Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
    I run the TSP map usually on map 3 but rarely in sport mode. While on the highway, during the bulk of my commute I often enable cruise control to remove rev hang delete. When I am stuck in the hell that is NJ shore traffic both on the highway and local roads, I sometimes change to map 1 and enable cruise control. Rev hang makes stop and go silly smooth and easy. But mostly the reason i use map 1 normal/sport is to show people the difference between maps 2 and 3.

Design and mjh thanked this.
  2. unholy79

unholy79 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si, 2012 Kawsaki Vulcan 900 Custom
    In my opinion? No. I've got a ktuner, used it for a month then removed it because I felt it threw off the balance of the car (along with annihilating my mpg). Bone stock, it's quick with great handling. Once one thing is upgraded more cash will need to be applied to keep it in balance. All I've done thus far since the ktuner is throw in an intake for a bit more noise and performance. I realize I'm in the minority but if I wanted the torque and MPG drop a tune provides, I'd have bought a more powerful car to begin with. Just my opinion, YMMV.

3. Drake

Drake Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Civic Si
    Which map were you using and how much did your highway mpg go down?

4. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    In my experience, MPG's stay the same at cruising speed. Put your foot into it and MPG's fall off a cliff but that's to be expected considering the power increase.

Old George and Drake thanked this.
  5. unholy79

unholy79 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Car(s):
    Average dropped from 38-40 to 32-34. Was using the 19/21.5 map I believe. Heavy foot didn't help but even long highway cruises didn't bring it back up where it used to be. Just wasn't my cup of tea, more power (pun intended) to those who use it and enjoy it.

Drake thanked this.
  6. fenix-silver

fenix-silver Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Si
    Yup, no reason a tune alone should have much impact on cruising MPG. I see low 40s w/ the Ktuner 19.5/21.5 map cruising at 75 mph.

7. Micah

Micah Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
    Driver mod needed. TSP Stg1 map 3 mostly in normal, occasionally stomped on in sport. Consistently over 40mpg tank to tank.

20190821_181313.jpg

8. consensual_induction

consensual_induction Senior Member

Medical school student (reconstructive surgery)
    First Name:
    Turbo
    Car(s):
    2018 Subaru Sti, 2019 civic Si, Scion Fr-S, Nissan 350z, Mitsubishi Evo X
    I alternate MAPerformance and tsp. Tsp stage 1 map 2 is better than 3 imo, and maperformance is the bees knees with early spool punchier delivery.

Either way, tuning made my si feel as fast as my sti, so it could save you $8k lol. Driver mod needed or new tires if you drive it like an sti tho. Bunny hopping is stupid real on tsp map 3 in sport

9. unholy79

unholy79 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Car(s):
    I'm happy it's working for you. Wasn't for me, no need to mod any further. :)

10. Micah

Micah Senior Member

Car(s):
    Fair enough. Sounds like the engineers at Honda had you squarely targeted with perfection. You're quite fortunate. Most of us felt the need to change the tune or a few parts. Stock is boring to some but ideal for others. I look forward to seeing your viewpoint shared in future posts.

:coffee:

11. unholy79

unholy79 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Car(s):
    Honestly, the first test drive of this car I felt like the engineers built it for me. It doesn't check every box, but enough that I smile every time I drive it. Performance/handling wise, it reminds me quite a bit of my '05 GTI which was one of my favorite cars. The last car I owned that I heavily modified was my '01 Neon... After intake, exhaust, underdrive, suspension, etc... etc... etc... I decided that if I wanted a new car, I should find something I would be satisfied driving with minimal tweaks. It's all about personal preference, every time I see someone post here that they just got their Civic and immediately list off a dozen modifications they want, it seems completely foreign to me. I won't judge though, some of the things I see being done with these cars is inspiring. Hell, if I had the time and money i'd love to stuff the guts from a Type-R into an Si for the sheer sleeper aspect, but that's a conversation for another day. :)

Micah, xbbnx and Drake thanked this.
  12. OP
    OP
    MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    Out of all your responses, it sounds like the answer is a resounding Yes. I agree with you all about tuning the Si is indeed worth it. The TSP stage 1 tune alone is the best money you can spend outside of grippier tires.

I mean sure, it would be nice to have a 500 HP car, but when can you actually unleash that power on your day to day commute?

Edit: Co-worker still thinks that for $20k, a used Mustang GT is still the way to go for performance to Dollar value. But he now understands that pure HP alone does not a fun car make.

mjh thanked this.
  13. Jayceegee

Jayceegee Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2019 civic si
    You are absolutely correct !! The Si is built as a unit. Add or subtract from one area simply throws off the balance and once that occurs it's a constant battle to regain what you once had.

unholy79 thanked this.
  14. Fathomless

Fathomless Senior Member

First Name:
    Joshua
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
    From a straight HP aspect yea I can see that. However if you factor in anything else at all, not so much. (Mpg, handling, inclement weather driving, reliability, uniqueness, daily driving fun, resale, etc)

Then again there is a reason I belong to Civic X website and not Teenage Girl Sports Car Review, so take it for what you will.

MutatedMango thanked this.
  15. MutatedMango

MutatedMango Senior Member

Student
    Car(s):
    '19 Civic Si coupe
    Rear motor mount makes car less reliable?

repeet thanked this.