Is it bad to idle for long periods?

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
hey guys,

Can’t find a good answer from a reputable source anywhere on the internet, and not specific to our 10th gen civics. I drive a 2018 si and take a 30-45 minute lunch break every day, and since i travel a lot and work outside, that break is usually in my car. And I live in Florida so especially in the summer it is hot as balls so I idle my car for that period of time with my A/C on.

So the questions are:
What (if anything) is bad about idling for a lot of time like that?
I’ve heard about the fuel dilution issue and seen some of the talk about it, is that a contributing issue?
Does the turbo or direct injection have any factor on idling an engine for long?

I know it wastes gas. I know my emissions are higher. Please don’t mention those things as I’m not concerned about that.:D

Thanks!
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Google .....

What’s more, in some cases, leaving the engine running while the car is not moving can be dangerous for the passengers. For example, if your car is idle and the air conditioner is on, you risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Another important point to consider would be your car battery. Regardless of the depth of your gas tank, the battery has a lifespan of its own. If your car idles for too long, it will surely drain the battery. The alternator not working will definitely shorten the life of your battery.

https://www.thevehiclelab.com/how-long-can-a-car-idle/

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Google .....

What’s more, in some cases, leaving the engine running while the car is not moving can be dangerous for the passengers. For example, if your car is idle and the air conditioner is on, you risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Another important point to consider would be your car battery. Regardless of the depth of your gas tank, the battery has a lifespan of its own. If your car idles for too long, it will surely drain the battery. The alternator not working will definitely shorten the life of your battery.

https://www.thevehiclelab.com/how-long-can-a-car-idle/
When the car is running its charging the battery

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At idle with A/C charging enough ? We have to take a reading to know .
You read my link thevehicullab.com ?
I think alternators run a 3:1 pulley and don't make their rated amperage until something like 6k RPM, or 2k engine. Not all are the same but they generally follow something similar. I had read about years ago when looking at using idling cars and inverters for backup power in lieu of a generator since I figured you've got a huge has tank on a car and you know it oughta run vs a generator that could be laid up for months. In the end, it does work for a little power here and there... but it's no replacement for a generator. To get the ~1 kw the alternator could provide, you'd need to have the car's idle set 3x higher than stock and you're getting less evergy than the smallest generator. It should make plenty to hold the battery at idle. It might be more questionable at night running lights and such... but I've not heard of police cars dying as their batteries drain overnight from idling and the alternator not covering the electrical needs. I've definitely driven a car at night with a bad alternator and *just* made it home (lights were on... adding to the drain). By the time I got home, lights were very dim and I was having misfires.

I have a gas generator, inverters and marine batteries. The cars can be used in the aforementioned method, but I'd siphon from any one of the 4 cars I have... or my go kart... or my mower and feed the gas generator before I shifted my idle to 2k RPM to only get ~ 1 kw if I ran out of stored gasoline.

As to it being bad... it may or may not be bad regarding fuel dilution, though I think once it's at operating temp (which would take a bit) that's combat it some. Doubt the turbo cares sitting not spooled. I've idles hours in turbo cars in the past. Slept in diesel trucks with turbos with no I'll effect. I can't say for carbon buildup.

So far as just idling breaking engines, I don't see a lot of P71 Ford Interceptors (Crown Vics) blowing smoke from shot engines with wrecked bores or worn rings from cops idling them for weeks worth of hours... or the same from the newer Chargers. If you want to idle it for the A/C... do it. Forever. I think your A/C compressor will fail from wear and tear before your engine does from idling. It takes barely anything to keep an engine idling... and DI engines are supposed to burn an extraordinary small amount of fuel in a lean burn at idle.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most important is ;

..... if your car is idle and the air conditioner is on, you risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most important is ;

..... if your car is idle and the air conditioner is on, you risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
True. I know it is a real concern for folks running off an icy road in the snow and the exhaust not dissapating because the snow will melt somewhat under the car, but the exhaust is held under the car somewhat.

Normal conditions though? I don't think it's a problem. Again, with the aforemented cops sitting for hours idling. I've sat in trucks for hours freeze protecting crops, engine idling all night to run the heat. If there's nothing causing the exhaust gasses to accumulate, they don't collect and really pose a significant risk. I'm sure there may be an example here and there but most would be because of some other environmental aspect causing the confinement of exhaust gasses

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well if the ktuner gauge is right with my a/c running at idle it shows it to be charging

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Do diesel trucks have carbon monoxide monitors in the cab? They do idle often for long periods of time.

Maybe you should get a CO monitor and keep it in your car. Don't know if they can tolerate the high temps in a locked car in the summer?

OP
OP
nickhaldin

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
I’m not clear as to why carbon monoxide poisoning would be an issue unless someone was parked in an enclosed space. I mean, that’s pretty common sense, right?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On direct injection idling is bad because of the carbon buildup as well..carbon buildup happens more on short drives than long drives. I can't imagine why the direct injection carbon buildup hasn't been fixed yet. I have had two turbo cars with it and I'm a need awhile to go back to direct injection. The gti and veloster turbo I just had bad experiences with. Walnut blasting the valves is between 800-1200. If you take it to a machine shop at least you can get a valve job too.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
id me more concerned with the turbo. and fuel dilution.
Yes, CO not an issue in open air. I would be concerned about long idling periods since the engine is not lubricating and cooling under optimal conditions. Vehicles are design to move and systems designed around air flow and engine RPM's during normal speeds. Outside of these conditions stresses the engine. Will it prematurely wear the engine and accessories, not unless you change fluids, and filters according to severe driving conditions. Change your fluids and fluids within or before the MM and idle away . . .

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag

Watch this and my man EE will answer all of your questions.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag

Watch this and my man EE will answer all of your questions.
Good video. Agree with the spokesman. I remember carbureted engines had manual and automatic chokes which would rich the fuel mixture so as not to stall, similar to fuel injection but not as precise.
Sponsored