Is engine braking all the time bad in the long run?

OP
OP

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
I don't shift back and forth between D and L when I engine brake that's just too much work lol. I keep it in L until I'm done with engine braking and back to regular road, but I also believe the members here who said that shifting back and forth will not really harm the transmission because it's all controlled by the computer and there are no gears but one, so in practice it is totally safe to shift from D, S, and L frequently if one wishes to do so.
Sponsored

Nuhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now: 2016 LX 6MT, 2006 Porsche 911 Former: 2007 Acura TL
Country flag
I don't shift back and forth between D and L when I engine brake that's just too much work lol. I keep it in L until I'm done with engine braking and back to regular road, but I also believe the members here who said that shifting back and forth will not really harm the transmission because it's all controlled by the computer and there are no gears but one, so in practice it is totally safe to shift from D, S, and L frequently if one wishes to do so.
You could switch between D and L all day long and nothing would happen. It is just changing the ratios in the CVT. It is exactly the same as when the CVT is changing ratios when you are driving normally. The only thing that is different is that in L is it will hold it at a higher RPM and higher ratio.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the shifter is just telling the ECU to change ratios in the CVT, youll be fine
Sponsored