Is anti-lag tune bad for turbo?

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Will tuning my car for anti-lag hurt the turbo? Heard a couple people reference that it can cause issues but can’t seem to find out what exactly it does to it.
Sponsored

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will tuning my car for anti-lag hurt the turbo? Heard a couple people reference that it can cause issues but can’t seem to find out what exactly it does to it.
Yeah I remember reading it was not a good quick selection to use for the ktuner as well. Cannot remember if there was a reason as to why, but I left it alone.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Do not use anti lag. It can damage just about everything that see's exhaust gases. If you have to ask if it could damage the turbo you should not use it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went off-site when anti-lag was coming out for us. I think a lot if it depends on how it's implemented and on what specific components (all engines, exhaust valves, turbos aren't the same). Some automakers have it implemented from the factory. Still... there's a lot of doom and gloom out there. Some pictures of some wrecked CHRAs. It sounds like one of those things that you can design around a certain implementation and it be fine. It can also go the other way.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I believe the anti-lag as implemented w/ ktuner retards the timing so much that the fuel is igniting when the exhaust valves are opening, thus not much of the ignition is being used to do work on the pistons, but instead the ignition pressure is going out the valves and to the turbine. Certainly hard on your exhaust ports, header, and turbine as others have indicated. I don't know what other manufacturers (like Hyundai w/ the Veloster N) are doing to implement anti-lag from the factory without causing long-term damage. I'm sure this type of implementation isn't nearly as tough on components as traditional anti-lag where fuel is dumped straight into the headers to keep the turbine spun up. I can't imagine anti-lag on a car w/ a small turbo offers much of a benefit.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
fenix.... here's EE explaining that very thing...

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its all fun and games until your turbo shits the bed from all that heat

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
How about the staged tunes included with Ktuner? Don't those reduce turbo lag?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
How about the staged tunes included with Ktuner? Don't those reduce turbo lag?
Of course Ktuner reduces turbo lag. "Anti-lag" is something completely different. Like flames coming out of the tailpipe different.

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of course Ktuner reduces turbo lag. "Anti-lag" is something completely different. Like flames coming out of the tailpipe different.
So reducing turbo lag is different than anti lag despite the wording meaning the same thing?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
So reducing turbo lag is different than anti lag despite the wording meaning the same thing?
yes. turbo lag is the delay of boost from the time you press the throttle down to when the turbo "naturally" spins up to speed to provide a set boost pressure. the time it takes for this to happen is turbo lag. Anti lag is force-ably making the turbo spin faster than it normally would by means of reducing ignition timing and adding fuel to physically create combustion and explosions that should be inside the engine to happen inside the turbo to spool it quicker.

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To make it more confusing when people are referring to a base map or tune reducing turbo lag they are referring to the "ramp rate" at which honda normally allows the car to build boost. Our turbos can spool ridiculously fast on their own when allowed to, even without "anti-lag", but honda programmed the turbo to have some "artificial turbo lag" to make the boost come in softer and more controlled. This is called boost pressure dampening. Which is what gets adjusted by the tunes to "reduce turbo lag".

OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To make it more confusing when people are referring to a base map or tune reducing turbo lag they are referring to the "ramp rate" at which honda normally allows the car to build boost. Our turbos can spool ridiculously fast on their own when allowed to, even without "anti-lag", but honda programmed the turbo to have some "artificial turbo lag" to make the boost come in softer and more controlled. This is called boost pressure dampening. Which is what gets adjusted by the tunes to "reduce turbo lag".
So tuning out turbo lag will not cause severe issues like anti-lag tuning will?