Is an intercooler really needed if you're going to do a few mods?

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
In the future (probably spring of next year) I plan on doing the intake (not sure which one I want to do, kind of limited to 27won unless i do the washer fluid relocate which im not doing), then the front and down pipe + the exhaust.

Someone told me that if I plan on doing that in the future then I should first do the intercooler for more cooling.

Is this true or does that not really matter?
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
It's a nice to have if you're using KTuner to significantly up the boost. If you're ever going to install an upgraded turbo, it's a must have. Driving in traffic, however, an intercooler shouldn't make any difference at all. I have the PRL intercooler and monitor my IAT's every day. I've noticed that the upgraded intercooler really only comes into play when building significant amounts of boost. With the stock intercooler, after boosting a bunch of times, your IAT2 (post-intercooler temps) would rise rather than fall, leading the ECU to reduce power. With the PRL intercooler my IAT2's sink steadily as I boost, no matter how long or often I boost.

OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It's a nice to have if you're using KTuner to significantly up the boost. If you're ever going to install an upgraded turbo, it's a must have. Driving in traffic, however, an intercooler shouldn't make any difference at all. I have the PRL intercooler and monitor my IAT's every day. I've noticed that the upgraded intercooler really only comes into play when building significant amounts of boost. With the stock intercooler, after boosting a bunch of times, your IAT2 (post-intercooler temps) would rise rather than fall, leading the ECU to reduce power. With the PRL intercooler my IAT2's sink steadily as I boost, no matter how long or often I boost.
Alright, looking @ the pre-order of the Mishimoto intercooler for $515USD + Shipping to Canada... It states that it is compatible with the stock piping, so if I just bought that intercooler alone would it likely be worth it? or is all the extra piping worth it or is that more just for looks?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Alright, looking @ the pre-order of the Mishimoto intercooler for $515USD + Shipping to Canada... It states that it is compatible with the stock piping, so if I just bought that intercooler alone would it likely be worth it? or is all the extra piping worth it or is that more just for looks?
Larger diameter piping generally increases power somewhat, though there's no data to indicate the extent of that on the 10th Gen.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the future (probably spring of next year) I plan on doing the intake (not sure which one I want to do, kind of limited to 27won unless i do the washer fluid relocate which im not doing), then the front and down pipe + the exhaust.

Someone told me that if I plan on doing that in the future then I should first do the intercooler for more cooling.

Is this true or does that not really matter?

It's not worth it! The gains are small for the price. IF you were to go with a larger turbocharger then yes, it would be worthwhile. Your stock intercooler is adequate for the mods you plan on doing.

If you want cooler air, you can go a much cheaper route, like heat wrapping your intake piping pre-turbo. Work with directing cooler air to your 27won intake or purchase a PRL CAI, that's been documented to bring in cooler air than stock. You'll accomplish the same thing as getting a bigger intercooler without adding any extra pressure drop that the larger intercooler would bring.

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Larger diameter piping generally increases power somewhat, though there's no data to indicate the extent of that on the 10th Gen.
it also introduces turbo lag so if you daily drive your car think about that also.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on your location I would pass unless you plan to run a larger turbo.
Sponsored