Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I need some ideas on IPhone 6s holders for the CTR. Don’t want to drill holes in the interior so the sticker types are preferred. If you have any pictures on you setup please show us how you have solved it.

:popcorn: Eagerly waiting :popcorn:
Sponsored

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I need some ideas on IPhone 6s holders for the CTR. Don’t want to drill holes in the interior so the sticker types are preferred. If you have any pictures on you setup please show us how you have solved it.

:popcorn: Eagerly waiting :popcorn:
I posted this elsewhere, but here you go. I know iPhone 6+ doesn't have wireless charging built in, but you can buy a Qi wireless receiver like this: http://amzn.to/2IHVpOE and use the Qi wireless charger shown below. It's great not having to plug in the cord when not using Car Play. Alternatively, you can just use it as a regular phone holder for now (and when you get a newer phone down the road, you can do wireless charging with the same holder - future proof, sort of!). It works very well as a regular vent holder.

You can also run the lightening wire the way I describe below, to make it nearly invisible.

Let me know if you have any questions.

~~~~~~~~~~

Installed a Fast Charge Wireless Qi Charger Phone Mount, with the power cable almost completely hidden away from view. The product comes with both vent and dash mounts.

I have a iPhone 8 Plus and wireless charge is great when you don't feel like plugging in the phone to use Apple CarPlay (e.g., a quick trip, GMaps, Waze, etc.). The charger cable is routed (i) above and around the headunit, (ii) behind HVAC faceplate, (iii) behind the glovebox lid, and (iv) plugged into the cigarette lighter. I did remove the headunit/hvac trim pieces to do this, which is very easy.

EDIT: sorry, here is the link: http://amzn.to/2prv4LJ

I have had this for 4 months and it works great. So convenient to not have to plug in the wire every time. The vent mount is very stable (I added some rubber dots for cushioning behind the holder to eliminate noise). The height of the holder is perfect for me, too.

Honda Civic 10th gen iPhone holder? IMG_2638.JPG

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there a reason you can't put it in the tray under the radio? Do you use CarPlay?
I like using Waze during my commute. While it is technically possible to use Waze while plugged in for Car Play, that is very clunky when you are switching constantly for different apps (e.g., iMessage, Phone, Waze, GMaps, PodCast, Spotify, etc.) because the phone screen changes when you switch apps on CarPlay or iPhone, and vice versa. It could get maddening. Other times, I just don't want to bother with CarPlay, so I just stick the phone in the holder. No wires to mess with, always charged.

Also, if you have a "Plus" model of an iPhone and it’s on the tray below the HVAC cntrols, it could (and does) get in the way when you are shifting (particularly since the charging cord sticks out a bit).

Aside from that, the regular tray below the HVAC controls should work fine.

Last edited:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
BTW, there are a couple of things I should have mentioned:

1. This is obvious, but if you don’t plug the lightening cord in your phone while its on the vent holder, you would be getting music, phone calls, text, etc. via Bluetooth. So your ability to control and get visuals on the apps would be limited as compared to CarPlay, but you could use the screen of your phone for those purposes (safely).

2. What if you want to use the holder while the lightening cable is plugged into the iPhone for CarPlay? Even though you might be concerned about seemingly charging with both the cable and the built-in charger at the same time, I understand that the phone will automatically stop such duplicative charging to avoid damaging the phone. I mention that because I was concerned about that initially.

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
I like using Waze during my commute. While it is technically possible to use Waze while plugged in for Car Play, that is very clunky when you are switching constantly for different apps (e.g., iMessage, Phone, Waze, GMaps, PodCast, Spotify, etc.) because the phone screen changes when you switch apps on CarPlay or iPhone, and vice versa. It could get maddening. Other times, I just don't want to bother with CarPlay, so I just stick the phone in the holder. No wires to mess with, always charged.

Also, if you have a "Plus" model of an iPhone and it’s on the tray below the HVAC cntrols, it could (and does) get in the way when you are shifting (particularly since the charging cord sticks out a bit).

Aside from that, the regular tray below the HVAC controls should work fine.
Gotcha.

I always stick my phone in with the cable away from the shifter to avoid it getting in the way.

I only switch between Spotify/messages/maps but I haven't noticed any issues at all when switching. I know what waze is, but I don't use it. I could see that being tricky if there's no built in screen control for that app.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted my solution for my Pixel 2 XL here. A 90° lightning cable might allow you to fit the phone sideways in the holder behind the shifter. They're cheap on Amazon.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name