CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just beware that if you go HKS you also have to get a front pipe, as it doesn't come with one.
I don't have to right? Isn't the HKS legamax a straight swap from the stock exhaust and still use the stock front pipe?
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have to right? Isn't the HKS legamax a straight swap from the stock exhaust and still use the stock front pipe?
he's just saying that most exhausts come with a replacement front pipe...since the stock front pipe is somewhat restrictive.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it’s worth, I ordered the HKS Legamax last Friday from TwoStepPerformance seeing as how the price I paid was lower than the other places I could’ve bought it from. It’s still awaiting fulfillment so not sure when I’ll get it but I planned on reusing the stock frontpipe and downpipe since don’t want to risk a CEL with the dp and I’m not actually sure of the gains with a frontpipe.

OP
OP
CHiNG818

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
For what it’s worth, I ordered the HKS Legamax last Friday from TwoStepPerformance seeing as how the price I paid was lower than the other places I could’ve bought it from. It’s still awaiting fulfillment so not sure when I’ll get it but I planned on reusing the stock frontpipe and downpipe since don’t want to risk a CEL with the dp and I’m not actually sure of the gains with a frontpipe.
Nice! I ordered the HKS 2 days ago:headbang: How much did you pay for it my man?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the final price was $1110 or around there, and I just received word after reaching out that I should be receiving it Friday. Amazing customer service! :D

stealth07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Runner, 2018 TYPE R 13531
Country flag
@Zeffy94 So did you like the way it sounded? Any drone with the HKS? I purchased the invidia exhaust and also had some drone issues. Before resorting to just switching it out I decided to figure out a way to get rid of the low frequency drone. The issue with most of these aftermarket exhausts for the type R is that they only use straight through resonators which only get rid of high frequency sound (Rasp) and none of the low frequency sound (Boomy). The type R being a 4 cylinder will naturally resonant at around 100 Hz. I drove the car around with my smart phone and measured at around what frequencies the type R exhaust spiked in sound dB to confirm this. I found that it peaks between about 50 to 150 hz with the invidia r400 exhaust. With 100 hz being roughly right in the middle. I had an exhaust shop make me a 1/4 wave resonator to attenuate some of this sound that creates the drone. If anyone is interested I can share the results. I was able to eliminate about half of this sound so between 100 to 150 hz using a 34 inch long J-pipe with a 2 inch diameter.

typeroar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I have the HKS and I love the way it sounds. I drive my car everyday and the db level is a perfect balance between sounding noticeably more aggressive than stock and not being annoyingly droney when cruising in 5th/6th at hwy speeds. I’m ready to add a dp/fp because I’d like it to be a little louder tbh. Not sure if I’m going to wait for the hks dp or buy prl, rv6, etc. from what I could see the hks dp didn’t offer mounting points to use the stock heatshield which is a dealbreaker for me. Not sure if that will change once the final product is released...
https://www.hksusa.com/news/racing-extension-full-kit-fk8-civic-type-r

OP
OP
CHiNG818

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have the HKS and I love the way it sounds. I drive my car everyday and the db level is a perfect balance between sounding noticeably more aggressive than stock and not being annoyingly droney when cruising in 5th/6th at hwy speeds. I’m ready to add a dp/fp because I’d like it to be a little louder tbh. Not sure if I’m going to wait for the hks dp or buy prl, rv6, etc. from what I could see the hks dp didn’t offer mounting points to use the stock heatshield which is a dealbreaker for me. Not sure if that will change once the final product is released...
https://www.hksusa.com/news/racing-extension-full-kit-fk8-civic-type-r
nice dude my hks exhaust got here quick and im going to install soon i cant wait! i got a great deal for it 1035$ otd! later i know im going to want to install a dp/fp but for now im gong to enjoy breaking in the exhaust.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Zeffy94 So did you like the way it sounded? Any drone with the HKS? I purchased the invidia exhaust and also had some drone issues. Before resorting to just switching it out I decided to figure out a way to get rid of the low frequency drone. The issue with most of these aftermarket exhausts for the type R is that they only use straight through resonators which only get rid of high frequency sound (Rasp) and none of the low frequency sound (Boomy). The type R being a 4 cylinder will naturally resonant at around 100 Hz. I drove the car around with my smart phone and measured at around what frequencies the type R exhaust spiked in sound dB to confirm this. I found that it peaks between about 50 to 150 hz with the invidia r400 exhaust. With 100 hz being roughly right in the middle. I had an exhaust shop make me a 1/4 wave resonator to attenuate some of this sound that creates the drone. If anyone is interested I can share the results. I was able to eliminate about half of this sound so between 100 to 150 hz using a 34 inch long J-pipe with a 2 inch diameter.
After using the new exhaust yesterday I can say there is a little boom at about 2.5-3k RPM but it’s not like obnoxious to where you can’t live with it. It sounds amazing everywhere. It is much more aggressive without being needlessly loud. It sounds very mature - a good deep tone that really befits the personality of the car IMO.

It has made driving it so much better. To me, that was one thing this car was missing.

VTECMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 570s
Country flag
Had mine on for 6 months, really pleased, it is not intrusive at all but sounds nice limos too like what you would expect from an OEM exhaust, very happy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Invidia R400 or HKS Legamax... DSC_0026.JPG

OP
OP
CHiNG818

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I had my hks installed and honestly very happy with the result. For me personally I just wanted something a bit louder than stock and the hks does that. The sound is a little bit deeper and the car sounds more aggressive. Some people dislike how it looks from the back but I like it and the quality is on point. I had my wife drive the type r and I closely followed in her car to get an idea of what it sounds like to other people or cops and it's not annoying at all in normal driving conditions. For me personally I got the perfect exhaust for my car in what matters to me and what I was looking for.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just FYI, it does gets a touch louder once it starts to build up some carbon in the resonator/mufflers. I have noticed that it can be a tad boomy between 2.5k-3.5k, but only under certain loads (notice it most with a full car going up hill), in certain gears, at certain throttle positions. Even at that it is no where near annoying nor obnoxious. My wife didn't even notice I changed out the exhaust for months until we took a 3 hour round trip and she just said "Did you do something to the muffler?" I said "Recently? Naw, it's just a sports car" of course.

OP
OP
CHiNG818

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Just FYI, it does gets a touch louder once it starts to build up some carbon in the resonator/mufflers. I have noticed that it can be a tad boomy between 2.5k-3.5k, but only under certain loads (notice it most with a full car going up hill), in certain gears, at certain throttle positions. Even at that it is no where near annoying nor obnoxious. My wife didn't even notice I changed out the exhaust for months until we took a 3 hour round trip and she just said "Did you do something to the muffler?" I said "Recently? Naw, it's just a sports car" of course.
Lol...with only just a few days with the exhaust I am noticing some change in the way that it sounds and I wouldn't mind it getting a little louder honestly
Sponsored