Interior Rear view mirror flip switch

tiniwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX 2017 (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
Hi Members,

Today while surfing the forum and found interesting thing about "Interior rear view flip switch" which I don't know it exists and purpose even after driving my civic (My first car) for more than a year.

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior Rear view mirror flip switch Rearview_mirror.JPG

So I googled and found it will help to reduce the glare from headlights behind!! It documented in user guide http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Sedan/manuals

Video explains how this works.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I'm pretty sure even the cars I had that were 25+ years older than my 10th gen Civic had this feature. :)

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
At night, when I flip the switch, I see the reflection of the map lights cluster. So every time I look at the rear view mirror, it annoys/distracts me.

I don't have a sunroof btw.

Pretty annoying, others have the same experience?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
At night, when I flip the switch, I see the reflection of the map lights cluster. So every time I look at the rear view mirror, it annoys/distracts me.

I don't have a sunroof btw.

Pretty annoying, others have the same experience?
Switch it so it flips the other way.

(let me think about it for a sec....)

There are really three "views" through the mirror -- dim, normal, and dim. But, there are just two positions for the lever, right? What I think is happening for you is, the "normal" side of the mirror is pointing to the ceiling at night.

So, in the daytime, flip it "up", or the lever towards you, then adjust the mirror so you can see normally out the back.

Then, at night, when you flip the lever away from you, the mirror will tilt "down", and the dim reflection will aim out the back window.

**Alternative fix**

How far away from the ceiling is your mirror now? IMO, it should be as close to the ceiling as possible so that it blocks less of your forward view.

If you haven't already, reach behind the mirror and angle the mounting arm as far upwards as it'll go. Then aim the mirror itself as usual.

Yours might also have the ability to flip upside-down (my Sport Touring's auto-dim mirror's housing is too bulky for this). The point where the mounting arm connects to the mirror isn't centered -- it's a little offset away from the day-night lever. Turn the mirror around, like you're turning the dial on a radio, so that the day-night lever would be on top. This will raise the mirror even higher.

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
I'm located in Asia, the stalk is different. Not sure if there's any more adjustment that I can do to make it higher or as close to the ceiling.

Also for your first suggestion, the reflection will probably go away buy I'll be blinded from the high beams.

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior Rear view mirror flip switch oj7Kit9

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm located in Asia, the stalk is different. Not sure if there's any more adjustment that I can do to make it higher or as close to the ceiling.

Also for your first suggestion, the reflection will probably go away buy I'll be blinded from the high beams.
Hmm, ok;

Pretty much every day-night mirror I've seen has three usable reflections, or views. The most-reflective, or "daylight", view is in the middle of the three.

Going by your first pic (your second and third pics aren't showing up at the moment), I'd say to flip the lever towards you, then aim the mirror in the daytime so that you can see out the rear window. Then, at night, flip the lever away from you, and there should be a dim reflection that also looks out the rear window.

To say it another way:

You have three mirror view angles:
A - 50% reflectivity (not exactly 50%, but go with it for now)
B - 100%
C - 50%

And two lever positions -- One (away from you) and Two (towards you), to be simple.

You can choose to use the mirror two ways. The first, One-A and Two-B, will put the 100% reflection in position Two.

Or, you can set it up as One-B and Two-C, which means the 100% reflection will be in position One.

---- This is a lot of writing, but it'll totally make sense when you try it out. *BUT* it will also be totally invalid if these mirrors only have two usable reflections... ;)

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Honda Civic 10th gen Interior Rear view mirror flip switch {filename}

mine is different from yours and different from the american cars, so there are at least 3 different mirror designs. Car engineering is not an easy job...

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Hmm, ok;

Pretty much every day-night mirror I've seen has three usable reflections, or views. The most-reflective, or "daylight", view is in the middle of the three.

Going by your first pic (your second and third pics aren't showing up at the moment), I'd say to flip the lever towards you, then aim the mirror in the daytime so that you can see out the rear window. Then, at night, flip the lever away from you, and there should be a dim reflection that also looks out the rear window.

To say it another way:

You have three mirror view angles:
A - 50% reflectivity (not exactly 50%, but go with it for now)
B - 100%
C - 50%

And two lever positions -- One (away from you) and Two (towards you), to be simple.

You can choose to use the mirror two ways. The first, One-A and Two-B, will put the 100% reflection in position Two.

Or, you can set it up as One-B and Two-C, which means the 100% reflection will be in position One.

---- This is a lot of writing, but it'll totally make sense when you try it out. *BUT* it will also be totally invalid if these mirrors only have two usable reflections... ;)
Well, your first suggestion worked actually.

The mirror was removed when I tinted my windshield, I must have adjusted/flipped it the wrong way.

All is good now .

Thank you so much!!

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
This thread is like hilarious. Especially the OPs original post hahaha.

Guess they didn't get the trim with Auto dimming rear view mirror.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This thread is like hilarious. Especially the OPs original post hahaha.

Guess they didn't get the trim with Auto dimming rear view mirror.
TBH, I started questioning the OP's family history. My dad taught me about day-night mirrors when I was in grade school. :p

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bread comes sliced now too
Sponsored