Interesting thoughts from my friend who was going to buy a Type R

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
If you are going to compare the relatively crappy OEM tires on the CTR to Michelin Sport Cup 2s, of course the car on the Michelins is going to handle better. That being said, I don't think anyone serious about tracking their car is going to do it on the OEM tire/wheel combo. Also steady state cornering is not the same thing as handling. Put the CTR on Bridgestone RE 71Rs or the new Yokohama A052, add some negative camber and I think you will have a much improved CTR.
The reason for my response was a previous post saying the CTR was "way faster" than a GTPP2/GT350. Stock for stock (yes, the GTPP2 has 305 section MPSC2s stock), the CTR is slower than the list of cars I provided, and that will generally hold true on every track. These are cars with power power/torque, better power to weight ratios, better roadholding, and better braking than the CTR, which are generally the key components in setting a competitive a lap time. I found the least-biased empirical evidence available to highlight the pace differences between the cars (Lightning Lap times and skidpad data).

I would definitely be interested in the CTR's performance on MPSC2s (as that is the tire used for the Nurburgring lap - and also the tire I run on my CTR). I would happily volunteer my car for C&D to re-run at Lightning Lap 2020 and/or re-do their instrumented test, but short of that, we can only work with the data available.
Sponsored

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
those MPSC2s would probably be 2 secs per lap faster on a long course like VIR over the OEM tires. maybe even a tic more. the MPSC2 are really seriously track oriented towards dry performance. they give away everyday wet and cold performance in order to gain dry performance -- I'd like to see too what the difference would be!

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
those MPSC2s would probably be 2 secs per lap faster on a long course like VIR over the OEM tires. maybe even a tic more. the MPSC2 are really seriously track oriented towards dry performance. they give away everyday wet and cold performance in order to gain dry performance -- I'd like to see too what the difference would be!
Interesting that the OEM Michelin Sport Cup 2 used on the C7 Z06 is quite different than the aftermarket Sport Cup 2. You can easily see it has a lot less void than the aftermarket one. Don't know about the compound or tire carcass. Not sure which Sport Cup 2s are used on the hot Mustangs and Camaros.

My personal experience on my C5 Z06 is that even old tech Nitto NT01s are faster than the aftermarket Sport Cup 2s but I never got to try the OEM version.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Interesting that the OEM Michelin Sport Cup 2 used on the C7 Z06 is quite different than the aftermarket Sport Cup 2. You can easily see it has a lot less void than the aftermarket one. Don't know about the compound or tire carcass. Not sure which Sport Cup 2s are used on the hot Mustangs and Camaros.

My personal experience on my C5 Z06 is that even old tech Nitto NT01s are faster than the aftermarket Sport Cup 2s but I never got to try the OEM version.
Chevrolet worked with Michelin to design that tire for their purposes. So when you compare an OEM tire vs the one that the tire manufacturer sells, there can be differences.

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Nice review. I don't know if it's bc a new STI is coming out but it seems like used ones are actually coming down in price. I know I originally (for a 2nd - not looking to mod type of car) I was wanting to check out the CTR and the STI as well as the GolfR and I was surprised at the used STIs being around $26k for being a couple years old.

Nice review by your friend and I agree - just bc a car gets a lot of hype from the media and obviously if you are on a 'insert car type' forum - you'll find a lot of hype as well -- doesn't mean there isn't a 'better car for you' out there. I've heard nothing but good things about the Subies (other than the gas mileage being meh but that is that AWD for you). :)
Most people on Nosiac seem to think there wont be a new STi for about 2 more years. As far as gas mileage, that only sucks if you have an STi lol. My 2015 stg2 wrx gets 34mpg on the freeway.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag

It's essentially the Pilot Sport Cup 2 R before they made it publicly available. Tread pattern is very similar/identical, but the Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP (the Z06 w/Z07 pkg) tire doesn't fall off after a handful of laps like the R.

The MPSC2R has a super sticky compound for the first mm or so, then regular MPSC2 compound below. The ZP has the tread pattern of the R but the compound is just regular MPSC2.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm a long-time fan of the STI and wanted one of the latest generation until I learned enough about the Type-R. Unfortunately I never drove one, so the only piece of information I can share is that 'STi' became 'STI' around 2005.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
OP's friend, test driving cars is the way to go. Everyone has different needs and likes.

CTR-19418

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, the used prices DO seem to be coming down on the STIs, which I found interesting. He picked his up $23K USD with 30K miles, but he's in Canada so I don't know how much that translates to in CAD. But what he said about driving the car that makes you feel better even if everyone else says it's a "worse" car is definitely something everyone should be considering. Everyone's tastes are different, that's why we're car enthusiasts :thumbsup:
I’m from Ontario,Canada. I can say the prices of the STI and WRX are pretty good. There are too many on the road I think these days. For every 10-15 subbies I see I might see a typer. Thats what sets our cars apart from the rest. I do love the sound but only really dig the older ones. Not a fan of the current body style.
Sponsored