First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Coupe, 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey folks, I'm a bit of a noob and could use some wisdom. Nearing my first 15K and it's about time to change my engine air filter. I was considering just a WIX one or a reusable K&N but then I figured I'd go down the rabbit hole that is CAI & SRI.
  • Any recommendations for CAI or SRI considering pricing and ease of install? (K&N, PRL, Mishimoto, etc.)
  • Will I need to tune my car after or is it plug and play?
  • Last but not least, I live in California and K&N won't even ship here. Will I even pass a SMOG/CARB?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Sponsored

Last edited:

type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
I'll answer in the order you asked:

1. Dont even bother with a SRI it does nothing for the car, just get the PRL Cobra CAI and dont look back. really easy install if you have a US model. traditionally SRIs are meant for low end power but we have a turbo for that. The dyno results show SRIs almost doing nothing for the 10th gen Si
2. If you get the PRL Cobra CAI, theres 2 options: Street MAF and Race MAF. Street MAF does not require a tune and Race MAF does.
3. This isn't an issue if you get PRL. should be fine.

I can fully vouch for the cobra. it's amazing and literally sounds like a blowoff valve. Also the most tested and verified CAI for our car

OP
OP
rwnl2012

rwnl2012

HDMI Butt
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll answer in the order you asked:

1. Dont even bother with a SRI it does nothing for the car, just get the PRL Cobra CAI and dont look back. really easy install if you have a US model. traditionally SRIs are meant for low end power but we have a turbo for that. The dyno results show SRIs almost doing nothing for the 10th gen Si
2. If you get the PRL Cobra CAI, theres 2 options: Street MAF and Race MAF. Street MAF does not require a tune and Race MAF does.
3. This isn't an issue if you get PRL. should be fine.

I can fully vouch for the cobra. it's amazing and literally sounds like a blowoff valve. Also the most tested and verified CAI for our car
Good insight man, thanks! For a PRL CAI do you still change the filter every so often or is it one of those clean/recharge kits? I suppose water getting in isn't that big an issue in sunny California.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good insight man, thanks! For a PRL CAI do you still change the filter every so often or is it one of those clean/recharge kits? I suppose water getting in isn't that big an issue in sunny California.
You won't get water touching the filter lol unless you drove through like a 3 foot puddle

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
dont get an aftermarket intake. yeah the prl is the best one available but for how fucking expensive it is for the little gains you get its not even close to worth it. intakes do very little. yeah a cai is better than a sri but still $350+ for 6 hp? stock intake is the best. ive learned this from 20 years of different cars and different types of intakes. now if money isnt an object than have at it.

type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
dont get an aftermarket intake. yeah the prl is the best one available but for how fucking expensive it is for the little gains you get its not even close to worth it. intakes do very little. yeah a cai is better than a sri but still $350+ for 6 hp? stock intake is the best. ive learned this from 20 years of different cars and different types of intakes. now if money isnt an object than have at it.
So this is sort of true sort of not. True, it's alot of money for what it is. It's literally just rubber tubes, a maf house and a filter. But false is the fact that it does nothing. There is an immediate noticable effect. As to whether the stock airbox will be the best long term solution for the car in regards to it lasting forever: it has to be the best solution for that no doubt.

At the end of the day it depends why you baught your Si. Most of us didn't buy them to leave them stock. If that was the case, i think alot of us would just buy the CTR

You definitely don't have to change it as often. probably 30% as often or less. And the PRL intakes are oiled, so theres probably a recharge kit. As for water, i wouldn't worry in california. I live in Canada so I purchased a hydroshield, but I doubt i needed it. It's literally a $30 peace of mind net. I'm okay with that. you need to plow alot of water to have an issue

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I know there's a lot of.... hatred?.... for the Injen CAI but I installed one in my '17 Si and haven't had the first bit of problems. My CEL came on for the first 2-3 engine on/off cycles but has remained out since then. It sounds great, has helped with low- to mid-end power, and I'm still getting fantastic gas mileage. Perhaps Injen has QC issues as others have mentioned problems with it. Maybe I'm the lucky one? Just wanted to throw that out there.

OP
OP
rwnl2012

rwnl2012

HDMI Butt
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is very true. Pricing is definitely a large factor and for that much extra money, I'd like to put it towards some better tires first.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I don't agree with this statement. After installing the PRL Cobra CAI with the race MAF my intake air temperatures have dropped a ridiculous amount. I think that the highest number that I have seen on the gauge is 16 degrees over ambient air temperature and that is after repeated spirited pulls. It's been as low as 5 degrees over ambient. The intake temps used to consistently run 40-50 degrees over ambient. Sure, you aren't getting an earth shattering power boost, but it's a good stepping stone into the more powerful mods. If you are going to upgrade a turbo, you gotta have more air flow. I'm not sure if it is CARB compliant, but it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, if not for power then for the sound.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I don't agree with this statement. After installing the PRL Cobra CAI with the race MAF my intake air temperatures have dropped a ridiculous amount. I think that the highest number that I have seen on the gauge is 16 degrees over ambient air temperature and that is after repeated spirited pulls. It's been as low as 5 degrees over ambient. The intake temps used to consistently run 40-50 degrees over ambient. Sure, you aren't getting an earth shattering power boost, but it's a good stepping stone into the more powerful mods. If you are going to upgrade a turbo, you gotta have more air flow. I'm not sure if it is CARB compliant, but it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, if not for power then for the sound.
Agree, I noticed quite the difference in low-end and mid-range power when I installed my Injen CAI. It's not earth-shattering of course and I'm not ripping off game-changing 1/4 mile times, but the increase is noticeable. Just like the K&N CAI (technically it's a SRI) I installed in my 2003 Jeep Wrangler... the power gains aren't huge but they are noticeable for sure.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
Last but not least, I live in California and K&N won't even ship here. Will I even pass a SMOG/CARB?
Funny thing is K&N is located IN RIVERSIDE Ca.

Don't buy a CAI for performance, you'll be lucky if you get 1 or 2hp out of one, ANY one.
Buy one for the sound and engine bling.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I am in the market for a 2019 Si. I used to own a 2008 Mazda Speed 3 and along with the Mazda Speed 3 intake from the dealer which was pricey but really worth every penny I also installed an aluminium turbo inlet pipe. All you have to do is see the pancake under the hood and figure this is hurting performance. Has any aftermarket company come up with a solution?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Don't buy a CAI for performance, you'll be lucky if you get 1 or 2hp out of one, ANY one.
That’s not what Tuner Derek Robinson tested.

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

this man speaks nothing but the truth!
Sponsored