instrument panel issue, dim lights, no gas/ECT guage, more...

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weird stuff guys, weird stuff.

Cruising along, I've got my phone plugged in with android auto going, wayz is running and turn-by-turn directions are being fed to my instrument panel. First weird thing is that an upcoming left turn says that it is 100 feet away, with the little vertical dash gauge on its last little dash, and it's stuck like this for over a quarter of a mile. Its just frozen on a turn and doesn't update after the turn was made - yet the directions on the LCD display are current and have moved on. I tried cycling through some of the other source modes with the steering wheel buttons, and when i get back to android auto, the one turn is still stuck there on the instrument panel. I get to where i'm going, park the car, turn it off and unplug my phone. When i come back to the car, i left the phone unplugged, but now the instrument panel is very dim, i have no gas or ECT gauge, no turn signals (they work on the outside though but inside no blinking or clicking), my steering wheel buttons do not work, and the little red car alarm light is continuously blinking. I tried cycling through headlight modes and it did not affect the instrument panel display, but the actual headlights were being cycled. Could not change to FM/AM/Sirius or any of the other informational read outs using the steering wheel buttons or the touch screen, anything other than android auto, which was being picked up via bluetooth. The LCD display was saying "cannot connect to device" referring to my phone. I turned off the car several times, all the issues remained.

Eventually once i got home, i disconnected the battery and waited for a minute, which seemed to fix everything and the car seems fine now. So yeah, bizarre.
Sponsored

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I just had the same thing happen to me. I didn't pull the battery cable, though. I locked the car and walked away for a few minutes. When I came back, everything was back to normal.

Did you ever figure out what happened?

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
So, this has not happened again since last week. I really don't know what to make of this. I'm tempted to replace the battery in my key fob just in case.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
My 2017 Si is at the dealership now for a similar issue. My daughter and I stopped by the store on our way home, all was fine. Get back to the car after shopping and put her in the car, then go for the trunk. Won't open. None of the three switches opened it. No worries, we'll head home and call it in.

Except now that I've started the car, the side panels of the cluster are dark. And my turn signals don't work. I drove across the street to Autopark Honda for them to see the problems. And then we figured out the "info" gauges weren't working. And we couldn't shut the car off.

They eventually got the car to cut off and sent us home in a loaner. I haven't heard anything yet.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Let us know what they find. It's good that you were able to take it in while it was happening. I was nowhere near a dealership when it happened to me.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
Honda just called - failed gauge control module. They had to order the part - middle of next week or so.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
hmm... Now I'm worried that this will happen to me again. :(
It's fortunate I was near the dealership when it happened. And except for the turn signals not working I probably would have gone home and disconnected the battery. I bet this is one of those cases where if a tech doesn't see it happening, they can't diagnose it.

Hopefully when I pick it up I'll able to ask the tech about it and see if they tried a reset. The service writer did say Honda technical support got involved, so the issue should be documented.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
For me, the turn signals weren't showing in the car, but they were working. I checked on that before driving.

Did you have a red blinking light on the console? I did, and I think it was the alarm light.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes, the security light was blinking.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
I have my car back - they were able to get the part fedex'd. Turns out they replaced the entire gauge cluster. $1100 or so, according to the service writer.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
WOW... Thanks for the update on this. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again, but if it does I'm hoping I can take it in. I have a feeling it's one of those things that won't get fixed unless I can show it happening. Glad you were able to get this fixed.

blu-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Ex w/HondaSensing
Country flag
Had this exact thing happen for the first time to me today.

I stopped to go into the store for a little bit, came back and started the car up, and this. The speedo was dim, temp and gas gauges blank, no turn signal indicators (but the turn signals themselves did), and the flashing red security light. The left side of my steering wheel controls didn't work either, but the right side did (I could see the ACC and LKAS lights turn on an off, but didn't dare actually try and use them). Tried stopping and starting the car a few times, but it persisted, so I drove it home anyway since it wasn't far. Haven't tried turning it back on since.

Assuming it's still like that tomorrow, going to call the dealer and set up a visit. At least I have this thread to show them if they have no clue what's going on.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Had this exact thing happen for the first time to me today.

I stopped to go into the store for a little bit, came back and started the car up, and this. The speedo was dim, temp and gas gauges blank, no turn signal indicators (but the turn signals themselves did), and the flashing red security light. The left side of my steering wheel controls didn't work either, but the right side did (I could see the ACC and LKAS lights turn on an off, but didn't dare actually try and use them). Tried stopping and starting the car a few times, but it persisted, so I drove it home anyway since it wasn't far. Haven't tried turning it back on since.

Assuming it's still like that tomorrow, going to call the dealer and set up a visit. At least I have this thread to show them if they have no clue what's going on.
Any update on this? Did it happen again?

I haven't seen this issue since the one time it happened to me.
Sponsored